Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below
In Loving Memory of
December 23, 2013
Handler: Officer Jason Posel 
Woodbury Police Department
2100 Radio Drive
Woodbury, MN 55125
Police Dog Dies Unexpectedly, Remembered as 'Fearless'
K-9 Niko died unexpectedly while off-duty at home on Monday, December 23, according to a release from the
 Woodbury Police Department. Niko was born in January 2006 and became a member of the Woodbury Police
 Department's K9 Unit in March of 2007. His handler, Officer Jason Posel, took great pride in their training
 and accomplishments, according to the release. Niko was nationally certified. He was trained to track people,
 clear buildings, detect drugs and apprehend suspects. In both 2011, and 2012, Niko received perfect scores
and won first place at the United States Police Canine Association (USPCA), Narcotics Certification.
His keen sense and high level training attributed to numerous arrests during his tenure at the department,
the release states. He was a staple at many public education events, demonstrating his agility
and obedience for Safety Camp participants, Woodbury Days guests and many other local and regional
 events. The department will remember Niko as a fearless, highly intelligent and tenacious police dog.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

August 29, 2013
Handler: Officer Christopher Moylan
Enfield Police Department
293 Elm Street, Enfield, CT 06082
Officer Christopher Moylan and Niko were members of
the Connecticut Police Work Dog Association since 1/1/08.
He was euthanized.
By Calla Vassilopoulos - Staff Writer  -  Enfield - posted Mon., May. 20, 2013
Enfield Police Chief Carl Sferazza recognizes K-9 Officer Niko for his work with the K-9 Unit at a ceremony celebrating his retirement held on May 10 at the Enfield Senior Center. Photos by Calla Vassilopoulos.
Enfield Police Chief Carl Sferazza recognizes K-9 Officer Niko for his work with the K-9 Unit at a ceremony celebrating
his retirement held on May 10 at the Enfield Senior Center. Photos by Calla Vassilopoulos.

The first K-9 Officer to join the force since the Enfield Police Department reinstated the K-9 Unit in 2005, retired after seven years with the program. A retirement party for K-9 Officer Niko, was held May 10 at the Enfield Senior Center to celebrate his achievements and dedication.

Enfield Mayor Scott R. Kaupin proclaimed May 10, 2013, as K-9 Niko Day in the town of Enfield as a way to recognize the officer for his commitment and service to the program. “Niko is recognized as a loyal, loving and devoted K-9 officer who would not hesitate to place himself at harm’s way to save the life of his partner,” said Kaupin.

Officer Niko, a German Sheppard, was shipped to the United States from the Czech Republic and purchased, untrained, through the Connecticut K-9 Services in Bethany, Conn., in 2005 to serve as a police dog for the EPD. When Niko joined the department as a 2-year-old pup he would often go to Enfield Police Chief Carl Sferrazza for his daily intake of “people food” salad and pepperoni, which is all he kept in his office, according to the Chief.

“Some may question the validity of having a ceremony for a dog, but you know what? We love this dog, and the people in this community love this dog. So I would say it would be criminal for us not to have a ceremony for our friend Niko,” said Sferrazza.

Shortly after Officer Niko’s arrival to EPD, he began training with handler Officer Christopher Moylan, the officer responsible for the research and development required to reestablish the K-9 Unit in Enfield. The duo graduated in 2006 from the 121st Connecticut State Police Training Troop – a 10-week police dog training program. After some work in the field, the pair continued on to the 126th CT State Police Narcotics Detection Class, which they graduated from in 2007, making Niko a dual trained police dog in patrol and narcotics.

Since then, Officer Niko has contributed to more than 300 arrests, including more than 71 narcotic arrests, as well as nearly 200 narcotic fines and approximately 21 apprehensions. Niko has also helped the detective bureau execute search warrants throughout the years.  “It’s a big commitment between you, your dog, and your family. It is a 24/7 job whether you’re working or not,” said Moylan. “It was a pleasure doing it and I would do it all over again if I could.”

Moylan has also retired from the program, due to a back injury incurred while training with another dog. As a patrol officer, Moylan will continue to assist the program and its six officers - Officers Croteau and Promise (K-9), Officers Worden and Falco (K-9), and the newest duo, replacing Officers Moylan and Niko, Officers Dufresne and Bruin (K-9). As for Niko, he will enjoy the remainder of his time at the home of his former partner, Officer Moylan.

Officers Dufresne and Bruin (K-9). As for Niko, he will enjoy the remainder of his time at the home of
his former partner, Officer Moylan.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

July 23, 2013

Handler: Leading Senior Constable Matt Steele
ictoria Police -  Victoria Police Centre
G.P.O Box 913
Melbourne, VIC, 3001


Sad day for Victoria Police after decorated dog squad member Nat dies at the
 Critical Incident Police Dog pictured with his handler Leading Senior Constable Matt Steele.

The Victoria Police is today mourning the loss of one of its best members of its dog squad, Nat the Rottweiler. Nat had to be put down this week after suffering a skin disease that had spread to his lungs. "I’m absolutely gutted, but that’s the way it is with dogs,” Nat’s handler, Leading Sen-Constable Matt Steele said on 3AW this morning. “I think my favourite quote’s been, ‘Dogs have one fault - they don’t live long enough.’” The eight-year-old was highly regarded as one of the force’s most successful dogs and has been recognized with saving a number of lives, including an elderly woman who was lost at Ouyen and suffering hypothermia. He recently aided in stopping a would-be burglar who had been allegedly trying to steal copper wiring from a Mahoney’s Rd factory in Thomastown. He was believed to be the last Rottweiler in any dog squad in the country.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

May 2013
Handler: ?
Perry County Sheriff's Office
PO Box 228
103 First Street West
New Augusta, Mississippi 39462
Perry County police dog left in patrol car overnight, dies

The Perry County Sheriff's Office must replace a police dog after one of its canine officers was found dead in its handler's car.
 Napo,3,a Belgian Malinois breed. He was discovered dead in the back of a patrol car after being left in the car overnight.
Sheriff Jimmy Dale Smith said the cause of death is unknown, but the dog could have died of a heart attack or of heat
exhaustion. Smith said the handler has been re-assigned. Napo was with the department for about a year-and-a-half
and was purchased with donations from area businesses. The cost has not been disclosed, but similar dogs cost in
the range of $5000-$10,000.

Perry County Sheriff’s K-9 dies after being left overnight in locked patrol car

The incident happened three weeks ago, but a tip from a viewer helped bring the story to light Thursday. Source-WDAM

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
April  2013

Handler: John Brazil
Metropolitan Transportation Authority Police
New York

PO John Brazil, "Novy" and Secretary of State Clinton

It is with a deep regret and sadness that I inform all of you of the loss of MTA Police K9 Trainer John Brazil's longtime partner,
 “Novy.” Novy has been with John and his family since 2002 when he and K9 Novy attended the NYSP K9 Academy in
Cooperstown, NY. Novy was one of the first K9 Officers for the MTA Police Department. Novy was a rescue dog
from a Buffalo, New York Animal Shelter. John and Novy were a great team and they were known throughout
the area for their K9 demonstrations.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

January 16, 2013
Handler: Patrolman Dan Harting 
Celina Police Department
202 N Main St.
Celina, Ohio 45822
Celina's retired police dog dies 
Nick, who served 10 years as the Celina Police Department's first K-9 unit, died early Wednesday morning at the home of his handler, Patrolman Dan Harting. The 13-year-old German Shepard had shown signs of fatigue in recent days and died in his sleep, according to Celina Police Chief Dave Slusser. Nick joined the police department in September 2000 after being brought from his German homeland for specialized training. Before joining the force, Nick and Harting made a visit to Celina Intermediate School for the fifth-grade DARE program. Those students chose the name Nick in honor of Deputy Nick Schulze, who was DARE officer at the time.
"Some agencies want a dog that is aggressive all the time," Slusser said. "We wanted a well-rounded dog that could interact well with children and be aggressive when the need arose. Nick certainly fit the bill." Officers remember his search and tracking abilities that led to numerous apprehensions over the years. On one occasion, Nick and Harting responded to a reported alarm at Lake Contracting. The K-9 searched the building and located the intruder hiding beneath a pile of supplies. Another call involved a domestic altercation where the perpetrator had fled.
Nick demonstrated his tracking abilities by going from West Bank Road to a camper parked along U.S. 127 where the man was hiding. The man surrendered after coming face-to-face with Nick. The dog served 10 years; Slusser said the average service time is five to eight years. Before retiring June 1, 2010, Nick served as a mentor for his successor, K-9 unit Ted. "Nick was a good mentor," Slusser told The Daily Standard. "In his own way, he was able to instill social skills as well as a love for children." Nick's last official duty on retirement day involved attending the Ultimate After-School Party for Celina students, at Lake Shore Park. He spent his last years as a member of Harting's household but never lost his desire to climb into a cruiser and head to work with the handler. "He always wanted to come along," Harting said this morning. "He even followed me to the cruiser Tuesday morning. My wife later said he sat there in the yard, looking down the road for 15 to 20 minutes. Work was still on his mind even though the end was near."
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA