Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below
In Loving Memory of
(Last week of Dec. 2013)

Handler: Sgt. Mike McDermott
Des Moines Police Department
25 East 1st Street
Des Moines, IA 50309


Des Moines police say goodbye to canine colleague
Des Moines police said goodbye to a furry, four-legged colleague in December.  Argo, a retired canine for the
Des Moines Police Department, died from old age in the last week of December, authorities said.
 He was 14 1/2 years old. Argo served from 2000 to 2005 and was a member of the
National Championship Team in 2005. He is the last  of the original canines purchased by the police
department in 2000, officials said. Des Moines Police Department thanked Argo for his
 dedicated service. “He was a great pup and will be missed,” his handle,  retired Sgt. Mike McDermott said.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
December 19, 2013

Handler: Patrolman Ken Blankenship 
Wauseon Police Department
230 Clinton St
Wauseon, OH

‘She loved to work’ First WPD canine cop dies following illness

Over her nearly 10-year career, the Wauseon Police Department’s first canine officer had a special knack for sniffing out both criminals and caches of illegal drugs. It was a talent she was often called on to share with other government and law enforcement agencies, right up to her retirement at age nine. “She could tell when I put on my uniform it was time to go to work,” said Patrolman Ken Blankenship, her longtime K-9 Unit partner. “She knew that day was going to be a fun day.” Ana was euthanized Dec. 19 at age 12 following a sudden, debilitating stroke. As Ana’s handler for almost a decade, her death has hit Blankenship hard.

“People don’t understand that she was not just a dog,” he said. “She’s your partner, just like if you have a human partner. They always want to please you, 24/7. I was with her more than I was with my family, more than my kids, more than my wife. So when a handler loses a partner it’s devastating. She was my family. She was my child.” The purebred German Shepard was purchased at age one by the police department in 2002. She was trained by Blankenship after he received instruction from Roger Bice, owner of Shawnee Run Kennels in Lima, Ohio. Ana learned techniques in tracking criminal suspects, and in narcotics and article searches.

To prevent her from being confused by other people, she was trained to obey only Blankenship, who issued all commands and directions in German. “She picked up on things right away. She was probably one of the best tracking dogs to come through the kennel in a long time,” Bice said. “As soon as (Blankenship) hit the street with her they were doing pretty good.” Their tracking abilities proved successful, especially during their first year as partners, Blankenship said. As a team they pursued criminal suspects and juvenile runaways through snow, over open fields, and across ditches, on one occasion as far as five miles.

In an incident about 10 years ago, he and Ana tracked a man who broke into a Metamora home and tied up the occupants in the basement. Ana lost his scent about a quarter-mile away, where he apparently drove off in a car. On another occasion, the canine cop followed the scent of a juvenile who broke into a house during the winter. “We tracked him through woods, through town, and right up to the window he crawled back into” at his home, Blankenship said. During the search Ana fell into a koi pond on that property, and had to be warmed up in the patrol car.

One of Ana’s more dangerous assignments was tracking the person or persons who broke into a former Wauseon gun store over a Fourth of July weekend and made off with numerous weapons. While investigating a burglary, Blankenship opened his police vehicle for Ana to exit. She didn’t wait for an invitation to search. She took off, following a hot trail, and in the process pulled the lead she was attached to through Blankenship’s hands, burning them. “Three doors down we beat on the door, and we had our bad guy,” he recalled. “I ended up going to the hospital. The dogs always know what they’re doing. They know way more than we do.”

Ana’s sharp nose also got her and Blankenship work in cases for the FBI, DEA, IRS, and the U.S. Coast Guard. For three years the latter used them and other available K-9 teams to sniff out illegal contraband on ocean liners docking at the Toledo port. At Toledo Express Airport, they were assigned by the Bax Global hub formerly located there to check a plane that flew in weekly from Mexico. Other duties included searching schools spanning from Fort Wayne, Ind., to Sandusky, Ohio. They also performed hundreds of school “demos,” educational programs for the students.

As a WPD officer, Ana was issued a badge, which she wore on special occasions or when she needed to be identified as a police dog. And she was the first area police dog to be certified to fly on LifeFlight. She and Blankenship were successful in about half of their assignments, an admirable record given that many people they tracked ended the hunt by fleeing in vehicles waiting a short distance away. “She was exceptional,” said Blankenship, with whom Ana lived. “When she was at work, she was a work dog, and when she was off duty she was a play dog. She was like a light switch - turn her on and off. She loved to work, and loved to please (me).”

Bice said a lot of dogs he trained for police work had trouble tracking people, but not Ana. “A lot of if was (Blankenship’s) dedication. He was very consistent about working her. He proved that by how she did on the street,” he said. Ana was retired from the WPD on Dec. 9, 2011. She was awarded a retirement badge, and Blankenship, who also left the K-9 unit, received a plaque commemorating their partnership. He remains a state evaluator for K-9 teams. “She was getting old, and I didn’t want her to retire and die. I wanted her to have a little life after retirement,” Blankenship said. They were replaced by Patrolman Dawn Belford and the city’s second canine officer, Pharaoh.

Blankenship, his wife, and his sons received Ana’s unexpected death with a heavy heart. The German Shepard would have turned 13 in February. She is missed as well by the family’s other two German Shepards, Riko and Ziva, who were brought in to keep Ana company. “Ana was like their mama. So they’ve been missing their mother this week,” Blankenship said. Her remains have been cremated, and will be placed in a doghouse-shaped urn that will feature her photograph, collar, and possibly her police badge.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

December 23, 2013
Handler: Officer Patrick Westfall  
Spencer Police Department
405 1st Ave West
Spencer, IA 51301
Spencer police dog passes
The Spencer Police Department announced the passing of the department's K-9, Dino/Axle. He passed away at
3 p.m. Dec. 23 with his handler, Patrick Westfall by his side. Axle-Dino and Westfall have been partners
 in the Spencer Police Department for the last four years. Friday afternoon, the department celebrated
the retirement of Dino, who is suffering from cancer of the blood vessels.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
October 28, 2013

Handler: Staff Sgt. Brian Turney
South Dakota
A memorial service was conducted to honor a 28th Security Forces Squadron military working dog named Arco
 in the Freedom Chapel at Ellsworth Air Force Base, S.D., Nov. 12, 2013. Arco served in the Air Force for
more than three years as a narcotics and patrol K-9.
The day after people around the area and across the nation honored our nation's veterans, Airmen and family
 members gathered to pay their respects to a fallen comrade - Arco, a 28th Security Forces Squadron military
 working dog, during a memorial service in the Freedom Chapel, Nov. 12. After succumbing to kidney failure
 on Oct. 28, Arco's remains were cremated and given to Staff Sgt. Brian Turney, 28th SFS MWD handler.
 During his three-year career, Arco trained and served as both a narcotics detection and patrol dog at
 Ellsworth and deployed with his handler to Bagram, Afghanistan in 2012.

Capt. Karlton Edison, 28th Bomb Wing chaplain, initiated the ceremony with an opening invocation, during which
 he spoke about the bond people share with their canine companions. "When we have relationships with each
other, we sometimes put up protective defenses and barriers," Edison said. "On the other hand, with the
canines we love, we have no need to be defensive." After the invocation, Staff Sgt. Brian Turney and Tech.
Sgt. Mark Sidle, 28th SFS MWD handlers, were invited on to the stage to share the fondest memories of Arco.

Turney talked about his experiences working alongside Arco, emphasizing that it was both rewarding and
 challenging. "He trusted me as much as I trusted him," Turney said. "It was not a smooth beginning when
 we first began training. We had our hands full. He taught me a lot about patience and hard work and
while Arco was stubborn at times, his personality made up for any shortcomings." Turney said that he will
miss deeply miss his partner, adding that he is honored to have had the opportunity to work with
 such an amazing partner.

Sidle explained that in his short time with Arco, he learned to be a better handler and gave credit to
Arco for making his job easier. "The things I will miss most are his wide smiles and the sheer excitement
 he showed," Sidle said. "He was very obedient and performed his duties excellently. I will forever be
grateful for every moment I had by his side."
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

November 8, 2013
Handler: Sergeant Mike Plunkard  
Johnstown Police Department
401 Main Street
Johnstown, PA 15901
Johnstown K-9 Dies
The Johnstown Police Department is mourning the loss of one of its four legged officers, Sargeant Mike Plunkard
 stated that his partner, Athos, passed away last night after a short battle with cancer. Athos was eight and a half
years old, which is close to retirement for Police K9's. Sgt. Plankard says he had a lot of energy up until his final
days. Athos was known to the community for his skill of dropping the puck at the Tomahawks games.
 With Athos' passing, the department is down to one Police K9. The City Manager, Kristin Denne, stated that the
 city plans of purchasing another K9 soon.
 submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

 MARCH 2013
Handler: Sgt. Christopher Blackburn 
Bridgeton Police Department
330 Fayette St
Bridgeton, NJ

(need info on K9 ...)

In Loving Memory of

October 2, 2013
Handlers:  Officer Curtis Dinger,& Officer Shawn Johnson
 & Captain Jeff Bragg
Bullard Police Department
114 S Phillips St
Bullard,TX 75757
Former police dog Axe dies of heart attack
Longtime BPD secretary Mary Dautreiul took ownership of Axe after he retired from duty. Mary and Axe moved
to Colorado with her family, where he spent his final days playing in the mountains.

Bullard Police Department’s first full-time K-9 officer, Axe, passed away on Wednesday, Oct. 2, after a life dedicated to serving others. Axe started with BPD in August of 2004 when former officer Curtis Dinger picked him up from
Lackland Air Force Base in San Antonio. He retired from the force on Nov. 5, 2011 after spending several years
as an integral part of the department. Dinger served as Axe’s first handler, followed by Shawn Johnson and finally,
 Captain Jeff Bragg, still with BPD. “There are not that many large individual cases, but over that long period of time,
Axe was helpful in so many cases,” said Bragg. “There were so many times we used him to assist us, giving us
probably cause to search cars, buildings or homes. Toward the end, he helped us with tracking and things like that.

He even helped us with presentations we’d give to students and things like that.” Axe meant a great deal to Bullard,
 as evident of the large turnout by residents at his retirement party two years ago. After his retirement,
longtime BPD Secretary Mary Dautreiul took ownership of Axe. Shortly after, Mary and Axe moved to Colorado
 with her family, where he spent his final days playing in the mountains. “We couldn’t ask for a better
person to take him for his retirement,” Bragg said. “Mary was so good for him in that time.
He was definitely well taken care of.” Preliminary reports from the veterinarian point to a heart attack
 as the cause of death. Bullard police hung a plaque in the department’s hallways in Axe’s honor for his
 service after his retirement. Bragg said the department will let the public know if a memorial is planned.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
Sept. ... 2013
Handler: Sgt. Robert Heverly
Prince George County Police
6600 Laurel Spring Rd.
Prince George, VA

Retired Prince George's County Police Dog Passes Away
Ari loved people, sniffing out explosives. Photo via PGPD.

Some sad news on the K9 front: The Prince George's County Police Department regrets to inform us that Ari,
a cherished retire
d K9 officer, has passed away.

According to the PGPD, the 13 year-old pawed police officer served as a bomb detection dog from 2002 to 2011, until he presumably got "too old for this shit" and retired from the force, only to spend his days chewing toys, chasing squirrels, and knocking back cold ones (of water that is) in the home of his faithful partner, Sgt. Robert Heverly.

Ari also had many certifications beyond the Prince George’s County Police Department. He was also certified with the ATF, the United States Police Canine Association and the North American Police Work Dog Association, and had a knack for finding explosives and catching bad guys:

The 13-year-old Belgian Malinois was a cherished member of the PGPD. "Ari was an incredible dog, he loved people and loved sniffing out explosives," said A/Sgt. Heverly.
Submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

August 24, 2013
Handler: Officer Kelly Greenwalt 
Duluth Police Department
2030 N Arlington Ave
Duluth, MN 55811
Former Duluth police dog dies
Police dog Apollo is a contented canine as he is petted by Stowe Elementary students
 and handler Kelly Greenwalt on a school visit in May 2004.

A German shepherd named Apollo came to Duluth from Poland nearly 10 years ago to join the Duluth Police Department as a police dog. But instead of becoming a decorated member of the force, Apollo found his true calling as an officer’s family pet. “He was good at finding the bad guy,” said Officer Kelly Greenwalt, Apollo’s former police handler. “But the problem was that he thought it more fun to play with the bad guys than to catch them.” The dog served just over three years on the force as Greenwalt’s partner. But his tendency to be a little too playful led to an early retirement. Needing a new home, fellow officer Chris Verhel and his family took in the German shepherd.

Apollo died unexpectedly Aug. 24, about two months shy of turning 11, Verhel said. He had lived with the family for nearly seven years. “He was a good boy,” Verhel said. “It’s a big loss for our family.” Like many police dogs, Apollo was recruited from overseas as a puppy to be trained in law enforcement. He was paired with Greenwalt, a trained canine handler, and became his constant companion. Apollo did some good work during his time with the police, Greenwalt said. Among his highlights, he located a small rock of cocaine in the slushy snow on First Street, located two burglary suspects in Forest Hill Cemetery and cleared a hostile crowd after a fight broke out at a nightclub, Greenwalt said.

“He had some nice finds,” he said. “He was always a great companion.” But Apollo’s playful tendency led to an early dismissal from the force. And with Greenwalt getting a new canine partner, Apollo needed to find a new home. “One thing about Apollo is that he was an alpha dog,” Greenwalt said. “He acted the part around other dogs. So I couldn’t have two male dogs.” Verhel, who was new to the force at the time, said he was interested in having a dog for his family, which included his wife, Jodi, and two young children, Easton and Aveya. After a series of tests, Apollo got approval to move in with the Verhels.

“First it was a couple hours, then day stays and a night stay, then a week stay,” Chris Verhel said. “Then Kelly approved him to move in with us. There were a lot of trials before we got him.” Greenwalt said he was happy to give Apollo to the Vehrels because of Chris’ law enforcement experience. “It was good, because I knew Chris would understand that he was trained in apprehension work,” Greenwalt said. “He knew there’d be different rules than you’d have with a different family pet.” Verhel described Apollo as a “big teddy bear.” He was playful and gentle with the kids, and loved to push a ball around in the yard, like a polar bear, Verhel said.

Apollo was very loyal to the family, he said, and even went on road trips with them. But the dog had started to slow down in recent months and didn’t have his normal level of energy. After a few weeks, Apollo seemed to be getting better, but died suddenly, Verhel said. “It really came as a surprise to us,” he said. Jodi Verhel said Apollo’s loss has been tough on the children, who are now 13 and 8. “He’s been with them pretty much full time since they were really young,” she said. “I think the loss is harder than losing a distant family member. It’s crazy how big a loss it can be. He wasn’t any ordinary pet.”
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

10 Dogs Die During Transport to Fort Bliss


In what is being called a "tragic accident," 10 German Shepherds who were being transported from Denver, Indiana to Fort Bliss in El Paso, Texas were found dead on arrival on Monday this week. According to the El Paso Times, the deaths were due to being transported in a vehicle that allegedly experienced mechanical failure relating to the air conditioning. Out of 17 German Shepherds, two were seen to by veterinarians for dehydration and heat exhaustion, while five others were deemed healthy. Fort Bliss houses a canine training center that pairs dogs with customs officers. The Army does not run the training center, nor is it responsible for transporting the dogs. The animals were owned and transported by Vohne Liche Kennels which operates out of Denver, Indiana. Ken Licklider, the owner of Vohne Liche Kennels, said,

"We take dogs to California and all over the world. We are very experienced in transporting dogs. This was simply a tragic accident." Fort Bliss spokeswoman Maj. Joe Buccino said, "This is pretty horrifying. I think everyone that heard this story is pretty upset by it. Those dogs were essentially in an oven. You don't have to be an animal lover to be sick about this." According to the Vohne Liche Kennel website, the company owns a 350-acre facility and maintains between 120 and 160 dogs at any given time. They have worked with organizations in over 30 states, as well as members of federal organizations such as the Secret Service, U.S. Army, and U.S. Navy. "We are heartsick over this," said Licklider. "These are our dogs. We'll do everything we can to ensure this doesn't happen again. We're going to look at all our systems. Accidents are accidents and this just sounds like a tragic accident." The seven surviving dogs have been sent back to Indiana.  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

August 20, 2013

Handler: Lt. Scott Elliott
1227 Leone Lane
Dunbar, WV 25064
Dunbar Police Department mourns the loss of K9

The Dunbar Police Department has lost one of its officers. The department announced on Tuesday that one of its K9 officers, Alley, has died. Alley served alongside Lt. Scott Elliott in Dunbar for more than a decade. "She will always be remembered as a K9 that was gentle and loved children, but knew when to go into 'work mode' and take action." The Dunbar Police Department is asking that people keep Lt. Elliott and his family in their thoughts and prayers through this difficult time. An announcement about arrangements will be made once they're finalized.


Under a bright sun and cloudless sky, Dunbar police and K-9 units from neighboring police departments gathered with citizens to honor and say goodbye to one of their own. Lt. Alley died Aug. 19 while on duty with her partner, Lt. Scott Elliott. Upon her death, Alley, a Belgian Malinois-German shepherd mix, had served with the Dunbar Police Department for 10 years. Elliott and Alley had a routine when he would stop to refuel his cruiser, Dunbar Chief Earl Whittington said. He would get out and open her door so that she could get out and play while he pumped gas. When he finished, he would call for her, and she would return to the vehicle.

On Aug. 19, Elliott opened the door without looking and went about his routine. When he went to call her, he noticed he didn't see her anywhere, the chief said. When he looked inside, he saw she had never gotten out. Alley had died on duty. Whittington spoke fondly of the canine Wednesday at the city's police and fire memorial at City Hall. Her career as a police dog started off with a bang. On her first day on the job back in 2003, she found a small bag of heroin in a vehicle search. In her biggest bust, she sniffed out 90 pounds of marijuana while searching a truck, something the city's police officers were proud of because it meant the drugs never made it onto the street.

She was called on in many occasions to search for drugs and people, but she also went to the city's schools - sometimes to search lockers for drugs and other times just to visit the students. Whittington said he had a little bit of concern sending dogs to the schools, fearing a student would get bitten, but Alley put his mind at ease, immediately switching into "play mode" with the students. "You could walk up to Alley and as long as you weren't a threat, she didn't take you as a threat," Whittington said. "She knew when there was a threat, and she knew when not to act on a threat."

He said she would come out of the car and be swarmed by small children. In that setting, she would lie down, lick everyone within reach and enjoy the attention. But when the radio sounded and she was given the command, she went into "work mode," the chief said. She was playful and enjoyed working, Whittington said of the dog. The chief said he and Elliott had talked about retiring the animal. He left it up to Elliott, her handler, partner and "parent," to make the decision. Police dogs typically live with their handlers and become part of their families. Elliott told the chief that as long as his partner was playful, able and wanted to work, he would keep her at his side.

"She was just as frisky on her last day as she was on her first day," Whittington said. "I think that shows a lot strength in the dog itself and the dedication she had to work." The chief said he has encountered many police canines, but not many were as dedicated as Alley. She was trained in drug location and officer protection. She also was called upon to track missing people or suspects. "She would pursue you until she caught you and then she would make sure you were escorted back to the police department to get full credit for what you'd done," Whittington said of Alley, earning a hearty bark from Kratos, Dunbar Sgt. Mike Lester's canine partner. "Absolutely, that's exactly what I think."

Whittington said he believed it was destiny for Alley to be Elliott's partner and that the bond grew between them. Elliott stood stock still in full uniform, a black band over his badge, while the chief spoke. He grew emotional behind his reflective sunglasses at one point during the ceremony and gave a slow salute when the other officers saluted the wooden carving of his partner and best friend. About a dozen K-9 officers and their handlers came from around the area to show support for Elliott and to remember Alley. More than two-dozen citizens came to the memorial as well. More than a few of them were left teary-eyed by the memorial. Alley was cremated. A line of police cars wound through the city after the service as a show of respect.  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

 August 8, 2013
Handler: Sgt. Eric Zawacki 
Peabody Police Department
6 Allen's Lane
Peabody, MA 01960

Peabody officers mourn death of beloved police dog

Peabody police Sgt. Eric Zawacki with Sgt. Argo at the police station in 2010, after Argo helped apprehend a car thief.

Sgt. Argo, with handler Peabody police Sgt. Eric Zawacki, gets a scent of a suspect during an incident on Keys Drive in 2004.

He was in many ways the perfect police officer. “He’s the only cop I ever met in 30 years on the job,” said Peabody Deputy Chief Marty Cohan, “who always came to work, did what he was told and didn’t ever whine about it.” He was certainly the best Peabody officer on four legs. Sgt. Argo, who served 10 years as the department’s police dog, died on Thursday of a spinal nerve condition at age 13. The station flag was lowered to half staff in his honor. The sable German shepherd had been retired the last few years and lived with his handler Sgt. Eric Zawacki and his wife Detective Stephanie Lane. “It’s been a tough couple of days,” said Zawacki.

“I lost my best friend yesterday. I lost my partner, the best partner I ever had. ... He was a fantastic dog. We were lucky to have him.” Argo joined the force in 2001, having been trained as a police dog in the Czech Republic. That created a situation that was both a benefit and a problem. Argo responded to commands in the Czech language. “If the commands are in English,” explained Cohan, “anybody can control the dog. If the commands are in a language people don’t know then they can’t do that." But if potential bad guys don’t speak Czech, neither did any Peabody officers. Fortunately, at the time, the city’s Community Development Department included planner Vera Kolias, a Czech speaker, who offered assistance.

Thereafter, Argo adjusted quickly to the job. “He was a tracker. And a sniffer,” said Cohan. In other words, he could follow the trail of a missing person — like a patient who wandered away from the nursing home — or track down a car theft suspect through Peabody backyards, as he did in May 2010. Argo could also seek out drugs. “He was all nose,” Cohan noted. Additionally, he could take care of himself. “He had a powerful presence about him,” said Zawacki. “He loved working more than anything else. ... He had no fear. He was here to keep us safe. He was an incredible asset to the department and the City of Peabody.”

“A couple of people challenged him over the years,” said Cohan. “They lost.” Argo was extremely strong as Cohan learned through his habit of bringing him regular treats. An overly anxious Argo, seeking his treat, once knocked the deputy flat. In addition, Argo was a kind of goodwill ambassador for the police. Police officers and most of the public have in common, said Cohan, an affection for dogs. Argo went to DARE camp and won over the kids. “He was as near to perfect as you could want,” some said. “He was a pet. A pal. And partner,” said Cohan.

He also accomplished something that humans often have difficulty with — putting the stress of the job behind him at the end of the day. “At home he was a normal dog.” Argo adjusted easily to two other Zawacki dogs, a Labrador retriever and a terrier. The biggest problem was adjusting to retirement. In latter years, when Zawacki put on his uniform to leave for work each day he left behind a crestfallen Argo clearly wondering why he couldn’t go anymore. “For 10 years he had gone with me. ... They live for work.” Zawacki recalled that he wanted the department to have a dog from the moment he got on the force.

Eventually came the opportunity to bring Argo aboard. And Peabody’s success with its dog, he believes, inspired others, including Salem and Danvers, to do the same. “I did a whole lot of mutual aid with surrounding communities,” Zawacki explains. “They got to see a great dog working.” Now, the department is without a police dog and he’s hoping at some point to find a successor for Sgt. Argo. Given the impact this officer had on his colleagues it won’t be easy to replace him.
 ( spinal nerve condition )     
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

August 3, 2013

    Handler: Officer Javier Garguillo
Marlboro Police Department
1979 Township Drive
Marlboro, NJ 07746
Retired Marlboro K-9 police dog passes away

A former K-9 police dog with the department has died following his battle with degenerative myelopathy. K9 Aldo, who retired in February of 2013, passed away Saturday. Degenerative myelopathy is progressive disease of the canine spinal cord. Aldo began his career in 2003 when he was partnered up with his handler Patrolman Javier Garguillo, police said. Aldo and his handler graduated from the Union County K9 Academy after 26 weeks of training in 2003. Aldo was trained as a patrol dog, which consisted of 16 weeks in the academy. In 2004, Garguillo and K9 Aldo became members of the Monmouth County Swat Team.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

  November 1, 2005 - February 9, 2013 

(waiting for photo) & more information........................
Handler: Ofc. Jeffrey Wagner 
Newington Police Department
131 Cedar St.
Newington, CT  06111
Ofc. Jeffrey Wagner joined the CPWDA on 3/13/06 until the year 2012. 

In Loving Memory of
May 20, 2013

Handler: Deputy Wally Zuehlke  
Wautoma Sheriff's Department
430 E Division St
Wautoma, Wisconsin 54982 
Waushara County police dog dies

The police dog for the Waushara County sheriffs department died on Monday of natural causes. Anuk was 10 years old, and had been working with sheriffs deputies since 2006.A memorial service is being planned next Wednesday at the sheriffs department in Wautoma at 11am, followed by a private ceremony for law enforcement only. It's not clear when the sheriffs department will get a new police dog. The animals cost between $10,000 and $15,000 including training. Many departments raise some or all of the money through fundraisers and private donations.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

April 7, 2013

Delhi Police Dog Squad
Doberman, death came faster than her retirement

Anuradha Doberman was looking forward to a peaceful retired life after years of putting her nose to the grindstone, literally. That was not to be. Her retirement papers, caught up in bureaucratic delays, were awaiting the signature of the senior officers of the Crime Branch when she breathed her last on April 7. A decorated female dog of the Delhi Police Dog Squad, Anuradha died of old age, 15 days before she was to be sent to an animal house after her retirement from the force. In the first week of March, a doctor from the Tiz Hazari Veterinary Hospital had deemed her "unfit and weak due to old age to perform her daily duties".

The dog squad officers requested that she be "respectfully retired from Delhi Police Dog Squad". The Delhi Police was processing her papers to formally retire her and send her to Friendicoes-Seca in Jangpura. But on April 7, her handler opened the kennel to find that she had died peacefully in her sleep. Anuradha, a Doberman, lovingly referred to as Anu,had been attached to the Crime Branch since 2002. She was known to be one of the best tracking dogs in the unit till old age caught up with her. Anuradha, who turned 11 this year, had lost much of her tracking skills and often slept throughout the day, prompting the veterinarian to advise that she be retired.

According to the rules, any dog attached with the Delhi Police can be formally retired only with the consent of senior officers. Following the veterinary evaluation, police began coordinating with the animal house in Jangpura to finalise her post-retirement stay. On March 28, they received a letter from the animal house saying it was willing to take in Anuradha. On April 22, her papers reached the office of a senior police officer for his "final approval" and to strike off her name from the squad. But it was two weeks too late for Anuradha. Anuradha, during her ten-year service, earned many laurels for the Delhi Police.

She was trained by the BSF at the National Training Centre for dogs in Gwalior. Known to be a swift tracker, she had assisted the police in several murder cases. Although police do not keep any records of the cases detected by dogs, a double murder in Dabri in 2003 was one of many for which the police force would be indebted to her. Officers recall how it took Anuradha just a few minutes to track the scent of the murderers. The officers were surprised when she guided them straight to the house of a blacksmith, who was later booked for the murders. In 2011, Anuradha was ranked third among the best dogs from all state forces in India, including the paramilitary ones.

In 2008, in a competition held by the Haryana Police, she was judged the second most talented dog in the country. She now rests in peace in a secluded field behind the Dog Squad office in Model Town. The Delhi Police has a total of 60 dogs, some of which have been given to other units and districts. Two dogs, Jenny and Rani, are of the same age as Anuradha was when she died but officers say their tracking skills are still sharp. All dogs in the squad are specialized in three areas — explosives, tracking and narcotics.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
November 17, 2010 - March 14, 2013

Special Agent Ann Todd
Quantico, VA

FBI K-9 dog Ape killed in line of duty in Herkimer

A tactical K-9 dog named Ape, who started his career with the FBI just a few weeks ago, was killed in the line of duty during a standoff in Herkimer today. Ape was on duty accompanying FBI agents who were attempting to arrest 64-year-old Kurt R. Myers, of Mohawk, who had been holed up in an abandoned building on North Main Street in Herkimer after a rampage that left four dead and two injured. Special Agent Ann Todd, with the FBI Office of Public Affairs, says Ape will be returned home to Quantico, Virginia. Ape was a 2-year-old Czech German Shepherd. He was born on November 17, 2010. Ape had just started working with the FBI on February 25 after completing training in October. A memorial will be held for Ape at Quantico, says Todd, and his name will be added to a memorial wall. “Ape was doing what he was trained to do and made the ultimate sacrifice for his team. His actions were heroic and prevented his teammates from being seriously wounded or killed,” says Todd. Officials speaking at a news conference on Thursday say police entered the building around 8:00 a.m. They say Myers immediately opened fire on the officers from the doorway of a small room, killing an FBI K-9 search dog. Police returned fire, fatally shooting Myers. State Police Superintendent Joseph D’Amico said during a press conference on Thursday morning that K-9s are "much more acute than people in locating suspects, especially in certain types of premises. I think that's what happened here, and as unfortunate as it is that the K-9 lost his life, it could have easily been an officer."

State police provided this memorial photo of Ape, the Czech German Shepherd killed
by the man sought in the Herkimer shootings last week.
Memorial service held for fallen K9 officer killed in Herkimer shootout
A memorial service was held on Monday for Ape, the FBI dog that was killed in the shootout with Kurt Myers in the Village of Herkimer on Thursday. Authorities say that Ape, a Czech German Shepherd, protected his human handler when authorities entered the former Glory Days bar on North Main Street in Herkimer Thursday following a roughly 20 hour standoff with Myers. Police say Myers was holed up in the abandoned bar after setting fire to his apartment in Mohawk, then shooting four people in John's Barbershop in the Village of Mohawk, killing tow, and shooting and killing two people at Gaffey's car care in the Village of Herkimer.

When law enforcement entered the building on North Main Street Thursday morning, State Police say Myers was waiting for them and opened fire, hitting and killing Ape. That's when authorities returned fire and killed Myers. Ape was taken to Quantico, Virginia to be buried. Born on November 17, 2010, Ape began duty with the FBI on February 25, 2013 after successfully completing training last October. The FBI states that Ape will be greatly missed. 
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA -
 painting by Tracy

In Loving Memory of

February 9, 2013

Handler: Deputy Craig Walker
Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office
951 Low Gap Road
Ukiah, CA 95482
Mendocino police dog dies jumping off roof
A police dog with the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office died Saturday after jumping off a roof, authorities said. The dog, Argus, escaped from an enclosed backyard and somehow climbed up onto a nearby structure, Sheriff’s Lt. Shannon Barney said. The dog apparently leaped off the building after its handler, Deputy Craig Walker, called out to him at about 11:45 a.m. Saturday, Barney said. “It appeared Argus responded immediately to his handler’s call and was not aware of the height of the structure he was on,” Barney said in a statement. The dog fell about 30 feet and died on impact, Barney said. The 2-year-old German shepherd, originally from Slovakia, had worked with Walker, who patrols Anderson Valley, for about six months. Barney said the Sheriff’s Office intends to replace the dog. 

MENDOCINO COUNTY, Calif. – A Mendocino County Sheriff's K9 died last week after being injured in a fall.  “Argus,” a 2-year-old German Shepherd, died on the morning of Friday, Feb. 8, as a result of injuries sustained in a fall from a height of approximately 30 feet, according to Liz Evangelatos of the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office.  Argus was off duty with his handler, Deputy Craig Walker, when he got out of an enclosed back yard, Evangelatos said.  She said Argus had wandered up onto a nearby building. Deputy Walker called Argus, who responded immediately to his handler's call, leaping off the building. The dog did not appear to be aware of the height of the structure he was on. Evangelatos said Argus’ injuries were immediately fatal.  Argus had been brought to the United States from Slovakia and was assigned to Deputy Walker for approximately six months prior to his death, Evangelatos said. Prior to his death Argus assisted Deputy Walker on his patrol duties in the Anderson Valley Resident Post, providing handler protection duties, fugitive apprehension, drug detection and regularly attended to the needs of the citizens they served, according to Evangelatos. She said Argus made a recent visit to the Anderson Valley School District, where the students met him and learned about the K9 duties
 related to law enforcement. Argus was a big hit with the school children and all who met him. Evangelatos said Argus will be missed
 not only by his handler and immediate family, but by everyone in the Mendocino County Sheriff’s Office. Argus will be remembered
as devoted, courageous, and loyal. The Sheriff’s Office will be seeking to obtain another K9 to partner with Deputy Walker to
 meet the law enforcement needs of the citizens in Anderson Valley and surrounding areas, Evangelatos said.  This is the second
tragedy for the Mendocino County Sheriff's Office's K9 program in the last year.  Last August, the agency's K9 “Morgan,”
 a 15-month-old German Shepherd, died from accidentally ingesting methamphetamine during narcotics detection 
 as Lake County News has reported.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA