Memorials to Fallen K-9s 

The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

In Loving Memory of
January 20, 2011

Handler: Scott Pearl
Portsmouth Police Department
Portsmouth, NH

Portsmouth, NH, police mourning death of K-9 Wess

Police in Portsmouth, N.H., are mourning the death of the 5-year-old German Shepherd Wess
that had been repeatedly honored by the Working Dog Foundation.

Portsmouth police were wearing black mourning bands on their badges Wednesday in memory of Wess.

The dog was the sidekick and partner of Officer Scott Pearl.
Chief Lou Ferland said Wess was euthanized after suffering an intestinal disorder common to large dogs.
The Portsmouth Herald says Wess came to Portsmouth in 2006 from Germany and had been recognized by the
 Working Dog Foundation. Pearl has been named K-9 handler of the year.
------Information from: Portsmouth Herald,
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

More about K9 Wess:

Remarkable K-9; 'Wess always gets his man in Portsmouth  - by Joson Claffey  Aug. 16, 2009

PORTSMOUTH — The suspects were almost home free. 
It was pitch-black in the middle of the night, and the three men were in dense, inaccessible woods behind Lafayette Plaza.
They fled there when they heard police sirens as they tried to rob a convenience store on Islington Street in late July. 
Pursuing officers couldn't see two feet in front of them. They had no idea how many suspects they were dealing with,
 or which direction they took off in.   It looked as if the suspects would get away.  And on any other night, they would
have — had it not been for one of the most feared members of the Portsmouth Police Department: a 5-year-old,
 72-pound, German-born athlete who could break the Olympic record in the 100-yard dash if he was allowed to compete.
Meet Wess the Portsmouth police dog.

When K-9 Officer Scott Pearl pulled up to the crime scene in his cruiser that night with Wess, the dog quickly sprung into action.
He immediately picked up the suspects' scent, leading Pearl and Officer Eric Bentz on a dead sprint through
 a half-mile of thick weeds, heavy branches, and deep mud.  Wess caught the first suspect hiding behind a tree, then went
 after the second suspect, who was trying to swim across a saltwater creek. Wess leaped in, swam 25 yards, and
nabbed the man before he could reach the other side. With both men in handcuffs, Wess ran down the last suspect,

hiding 500 yards away in a swamp in chest-high water. The man had no chance — Wess homed in on him like a heat-seeking missile.
"It was unbelievable," Pearl said. "Without him, we wouldn't have caught a single one." 
In a recent two-and-a-half week span, Wess has been responsible for five captures, including the three in the woods on July 23.

On Aug. 8, he ran down a man who smashed a car window in a Port City hotel parking lot and made off with some cash.
Then on Aug. 12, he sniffed out a man accused of stealing about $350 from a convenience store in Somersworth.
 He led officers right to the suspect's front door.  It's been the best streak of Wess' career. 
"We're on a good run," said Pearl, who has handled the dog for the last three years. 
Wess has won a slew of awards in local police K-9 competitions and will compete soon in the United States Police
 Canine Assocation national competition. He runs a 100-yard dash in 7 seconds; the current Olympic record by
 a human is 9.69 seconds.  A German Shepherd, Wess was born on June 14, 2004, in the Black Forest region of Germany.
He came to the department in December 2006 — and hasn't looked back.  The dog's very first track resulted in an arrest.
 Pearl was called to Dover for reports of a man who was driving drunk and ditched his car when officers attempted
to pull him over. The man ran through the back yard of a home and into dense woods.  "The thickest stuff you can
 imagine," Pearl said.  That didn't stop Wess, who cut through the brush and found the man on the ground in the fetal position.
"He does what he has to do to get the job done," Pearl said.
The officer and the dog have a close relationship. Pearl, 43, has been a member of the Portsmouth Police Department
 for the  last 18 years, and said he always wanted to be a K-9 officer. He grew up around dogs, training
 his yellow Labrador,  Ranger, for duck hunting. 

Wess is part of the family at Pearl's Newfields home. He gets along well with Pearl's three children,
 the family cat, Sasha, and the chickens and ducks in the barn outside. One of Pearl's children, Keegan, 20,
is even thinking about becoming a K-9 officer himself. And Pearl's wife, Darlene, is on the board of directors
 of the Working Dog Foundation at Pease, a nonprofit organization that provides training for over 30 K-9 teams from New England.
While Wess is definitely not a "lap dog," Pearl said, he knows how to kick back and relax after long nights of chasing bad guys.
"He has a nice switch," Pearl said. "He knows when it's time to work and when it's time to enjoy the day."
Playtime usually consists of following around Sasha and chewing through outdoor water hoses.
"I can't tell you how many hoses I've had to replace," he said.
He also can't say how many hours he's trained with Wess, suffice to say that it's in the thousands. The training
 is why Wess can complete such difficult tracks, like the one in July. 
Portsmouth Police Chief David "Lou" Ferland called it a "doctorate-level" track because of the difficult terrain and
the fact that officers didn't know which direction the suspects were traveling in.  "It was remarkable," Ferland said.
For his efforts, Wess was given a special treat by Pearl — Velveeta cheese on top of his regular dog food, as well as steak.
"I generally don't give him people food because I'll pay for it later," Pearl joked.
The officer uses the canine as much as he can in his police work, from drug investigations to building searches to
serving warrants. Pearl said he can't put a number on the amount of arrests Wess has been responsible for
 because he's contributed to so many, in Portsmouth as well as surrounding cities and towns. 
Ferland, who was part of a canine unit for nearly 20 years, said Wess has not only gotten suspects off the street
 but also saved countless man hours in investigation work had they escaped. 
"That comes from thousands of hours of committed time and dedication from Scott," Ferland said.
"We probably never would've caught these people if not for the dog team."

In Loving Memory of

October 19, 2012
Handler: Officer Jimmy Jones 
Jackson County Sheriff’s Office
102 E. Laurel St.,
Scottsboro, Alabama

Jackson County Deputies Mourn Loss of K9 "WVUM"

It is with great sadness that the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office announces the passing of one of our own. K-9 WVUM (pronounced “VOOM”) passed away on Friday October 19th after a two-month illness. WVUM began his law enforcement career at the Bridgeport Police Department before being purchased by the Dekalb County Sheriff’s Office where he became the partner of then Dekalb County Deputy/K-9 Handler Jimmy Jones. In 2011, “WVUM” came to the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office with Jones who was brought on by Sheriff Chuck Phillips as the Jackson County Sheriff’s Office Narcotics Unit Lt. During this time, WVUM has assisted the Jackson County Narcotics Unit in numerous drug seizures and has been utilized to search schools in the Jackson County area.

WVUM received his Drug K-9 Training at the Madison County Sheriff’s Office and on his second day of duty assisted in the seizure of $29,000 and Marijuana in Valley Head, Alabama. During his career, WVUM made numerous drug and currency seizures and also assisted the Center Police Department, Center Fire Department and the Alabama State Fire Marshal’s Office in apprehending a serial arsonist. He also located six fleeing Felony suspects and safely recovered nine missing children and senior citizens. WVUM was also instrumental in helping the Hollywood Police Department in a money seizure which helped them purchase their first Drug K-9. WVUM has been a valuable asset to Jackson County and he will be sorely missed by the law enforcement community.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
June 2012

Lance Cpl. Chase Paustian
( Aurora, Il )

Charleston Base, South Carolina

Military dog laid to rest with Patriot Guard 
The military working dog that conducted thousands of safety searches is scheduled to be laid to rest at Joint Base Charleston. Air Force spokeswoman 2nd Lt. Leah Davis says Wednesday's ceremony is to honor the 11-year-old German shepherd Waldo, who died after a short illness. Waldo was assigned to the 628th Security Forces Squadron and served most of his career at the Charleston base. He was deployed twice to Afghanistan. Over his career, Waldo conducted 2,304 hours of searches and completed 425 hours of detection training, leading to safer communities. After a ceremony, the Patriot Guard will lead a procession to the Military Working Dog cemetery on the base, where Waldo's remains will be interred. Waldo will receive full military honors, including a 21-gun salute.
Submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

Lance Cpl. Chase Paustian, 24, from Aurora, Ill., takes a few moments to rub Waldo’s stomach after a training session at
the Marine K-9 kennel. Paustian and Waldo recently returned from a seven-month deployment together to Anbar province, Iraq.
Being there together only tightened their bond, Paustian said.
  Lance Cpl. Chase Paustian, 24, from Aurora, Ill., knows
about the closer ties developed during a deployment. He and his dog, Waldo, recently returned to Okinawa
from seven months in Anbar province, Iraq.

Waldo, a Belgian Malinois, “is a great dog” to work with, he said.
“He’ll work until he just can’t move anymore. He’s always just a happy dog all the time,” Paustian said.
In Iraq, the two went everywhere together except the chow hall, Paustian said. The exchange, haircuts, watching movies
 in the lounge; Waldo even slept with him.

Waldo also gets jealous if Paustian talks to other dogs, staring out of his kennel as if his handler were cheating on him,
Paustian said with a smile.  “It was hard to come back and not be together all the time,” he said.
He has tried to ease Waldo back into kennel life by spending as much time with him as possible during the day, he said.
But it will be “really hard” on both of them when Paustian is transferred to a new duty station.
“It’s going to be like your kid going to college,” he said. “It’s going to be tough.”
Stars and Stripes’ T.D. Flack contributed to this report.

In Loving Memory of

 MARCH 2012
Handler: Sergeant Dave Sampson 
Queensland Police Service
Queensland Police Service has lost one of its most dogged detectives
Shane Webcke the ex-footballer meets Webcke the police dog and trainer senior constable Dave Sampson.


Just like the Queensland rugby league great he is named after, police dog Webcke has been remembered for his ability, drive, attitude and love for his job. The tenacious canine suffered a gastric torsion in March and, despite surgery and on-going care, was unable to recover and was put down. His handler Sergeant Dave Sampson said his partner was one of the best in the business and would be greatly missed. "My family and I are devastated by this passing and it will be some time before my household returns to normal," he said in a statement issued today.

The Queensland Police Service described the dog, Webcke, and his handler Sergeant Dave Sampson as ‘an outstanding duo’. “His offender detection rate was always amongst the best in the state and I truly believe that I had not seen his best, as just when I thought I had, he amazed me again in some way,” Sergeant Dave Sampson said. “When I was handed Webcke at 11 months of age, I could never have imagined what he was going to achieve during the next five and a half years,” Sgt Sampson said. “I never took him for granted as I knew how blessed I was to have him,” Sgt Sampson said. “I thank the QPS and dog squad for allowing me to be associated with him,” Sgt Sampson said.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

March 23, 2012
Handler: Sgt. Walker 
Matawan Borough Police Department 
150 Main St
Matawan, New Jersey 07747

Remembering Wolf, Matawan's First K9

Retired Matawan Borough K9 Unit, Wolf, 14, died last week. The Matawan Borough Police Department shared the news of his passing on their Facebook page on March 21 writing, "R.I.P. retired Matawan Police Department K9 Wolf. You served us all well. Condolences to Sgt. Walker, whom continued to care for Wolf long after his retirement." Sgt. Patrick Walker and Wolf became partners in 2000 when Wolf was just under 3-years-old. They attended the John "Sonny" Burke K9 Academy in Atlantic City for Patrol School and then attended scent detection school for narcotics at the New Jersey State Police division headquarters.

Over the next nine years, Wolf's patrol work consisted of building searches, tracking, handler and patrol protection and sniffing out narcotics in vehicles. According to Walker, although Wolf was based in Matawan, he also assisted Aberdeen, Marlboro, Old Bridge, Keyport, Keansburg, Union Beach, Hazlet, and Highlands police departments, as well as the Bayshore Narcotic Task force. "Wolf was involved in hundreds of narcotics searches," Walker said. "Narcotics were frequently located and led to the arrest and often conviction of numerous subjects. "Walker also credits Wolf with saving his life and the life of Officer Brian Murphy and a Marlboro police officer.

"His finest job was when he located the suspect that had robbed 79 Liquors of Matawan at gunpoint and he located him hiding the closet of a residence in Marlboro. The suspect was still armed and was apprehended," Walker said. "To this day, I, and my back up officers believe that he was responsible for saving our lives. "Walker and Wold did several talks and demonstrations throughout the years for senior citizens, school children and animal groups, Walker said. Wolf also enjoyed competing the United States Police Canine Association patrol dog trials and scent detection, Walker said. "Wolf not only loved to work and serve the community, but he also loved to compete and make me proud," Walker said.

In 2009, Wolf retired. Although no longer an active duty K9, Wolf continued to live with his lifelong friend and partner. Walker remembers that Wolf was always serious and focused on the job, however during retirement he became mild mannered and very social. "I could discuss K9 Wolf for hours and hours," Walker said. "He was more than an outstanding police K9, more than the best partner I ever had, more than a great pet in retirement. He was and will always be my best friend. The bond that is formed between a police K9 and its handler can not be described in words."  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA