Memorials to Fallen K-9s 

The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

In Loving Memory of
December 30, 2012

Sgt. Jason Wetzel 
Anchorage Police Department
4501 Elmore Road
Anchorage, AK 99507
Retired APD K-9 Dutch Passes Away

The K-9 police officer named “Dutch” who worked with the Anchorage Police Department for 7 years died Sunday. Sgt. Jason Wetzel, owner and APD partner, said Dutch died because of an organ failure. The canine was retired in 2011 and had been living with Wetzel as a family pet. Before his retirement the dog worked on the SWAT team, searched for drugs, and tracked down criminals. Wetzel said Dutch had enjoyed being a house dog, although it took some time for him to adjust to his retirement.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving memory of
November 17, 2012

Handler: Officer Bruce Shippe 
Garden City Police Department
6000 Middlebelt
Garden City, Michigan 48135


It was a police dog handler's worst nightmare.
Garden City Police Officer Bruce Shippe's faithful, loyal, dependable — and best friend — Deuce suddenly
couldn't breathe at home Saturday, Nov. 17.Deuce was rushed to Veterinary Emergency Service, a 24-hour
 emergency care facility at Ann Arbor Road and Haggerty, which intubated him and advised Shippe to transport
 the dog to Michigan Veterinary Specialists in Southfield, a special 24-hour center which handles
unexpected trauma, illness and injury.
One problem was that the first hospital didn't have the necessary equipment to transport the intubated
dog, who was on a ventilator. “The Plymouth Township Fire Department gave us the equipment needed,” Shippe said.
So Shippe, assisted by his wife Lisa, who is a registered nurse at Crittenton Hospital in Rochester,
 rushed the dog to Michigan Veterinary Specialists, with Lisa operating the vital equipment which kept Deuce alive.

Shippe spent long hours with the sick dog at the hospital and, in fact, slept with him when he wasn't working.
He soon heard the bad news through a biopsy that Deuce had a cancerous mass which was growing quickly
and hampering his breathing. Shippe learned that the fast-growing tumor is somewhat common in German shepherds.

By last weekend, Shippe and Garden City Police Chief Robert Muery were given three options: surgery,
radiation or chemotherapy. None seemed the best choice and Deuce was euthanized.

“Surgery would have resulted in removal of part of his tongue,” Muery said.
Happier days
The 7-year-old Deuce, who was acquired by the department more than six years ago, was a valuable member.
In a demonstration to the Garden City Observer last spring, Deuce was riveted on every move Shippe made.
 It was almost as if he understood how crucial his handler's work was and how they must rely on each other and
work together.  Shippe, a 13-year police veteran, depended on Deuce's “work ethic” and called Deuce a “successful dog.”
“He loves to work,” Shippe said. “That's all he wants to do ... work, work, work. He has a hard time relaxing.”
Deuce's reward after finding some marijuana planted in a car was a small, red rubber ball.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

November 25, 2012
Handler: PC Mark Duncton
 Bamfurlong - UK
RIP Dexter: Gloucestershire officers mourn loss of heroic police dog - PC Mark Duncton with Dexter

Heroic police dog Dexter has chased his last criminal through the streets of Gloucestershire. The German Shepherd
was responsible for countless operations to apprehend wanted offenders, often sustaining injuries in the process.
He died on Sunday. Dexter was one of 16 handler and dog teams based at Bamfurlong, near Staverton,
who respond to incidents all over the county. They are often at the front line of some of the most dangerous
 situations encountered by police. After a 20-minute chase in 2004, brave Dexter needed stitches after his
 muzzle was slashed open by a criminal armed with an eight-inch kitchen knife involved in an attempted
High Street robbery in Cheltenham.

Dexter sank his teeth into the fugitive's arm before officers made the arrest but suffered a deep gash to his nose.
 He was back on duty days later. The man was sentenced to three years in prison. In the same year,
 Dexter was praised for helping his handler PC Mark Duncton apprehend two assailants who fled from a stolen vehicle
 crashed in Staverton. PC Duncton described Dexter as 'worth his weight in gold' following the incident and
the pair developed a strong bond during their police career together. PC Duncton accepted
the National Police Dog Operational Action of the Year Award 2004 on Dexter's behalf at a ceremony in Strathclyde.

Without Dexter's keen sense of smell and dogged determination, many arrests would not have been made.
 His eight-year police career was commended on Twitter by Gloucestershire Police Chief Constable Mick Matthews.
 He said: "So saddened to hear that retired Glos Police Dog 'Dexter' passed away – a recipient of
 Gold People's Dispensary for Sick Animals (PDSA) animal gallantry award- RIP Dexter."
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

November 23, 2012
Handler: Florida Highway Patrol
Trooper Bobby Boody

Heroic former police dog could not be saved
Drake had an ultrasound and was awaiting a CAT scan before doctors determined their course of action,
Dr. Ken Simmons said. Simmons and his owner eventually gave the order to euthanize the dog,
 which was in pain and having trouble eating and drinking after being shot at least 4 times.

Sometimes even best friends can’t be saved and heroes die.

A last-minute flight Friday to be among the best veterinarians in the state was not enough to save Drake,
a former police dog, overcome the multiple gunshots he suffered while defending his home against armed intruders.
 His owner and his hometown vet concluded that it was time to give the 5-year-old German shepherd
relief from the pain he continued to suffer and directed the doctors in Gainesville to euthanize the dog.
Florida Highway Patrol trooper Bobby Boody feared the worst Sunday night when he opened the door
to a bloody, ransacked, yet eerily silent home.
But when he found Drake conscious on the bedroom floor, Boody loaded the 100-pound pet into his car
 and sped him to an emergency clinic. Drake was later transferred to Dr. Ken Simmons’ veterinary hospital
 in suburban Lantana, where the vet mended two of Drake’s legs, his brow and his jaw. But that wasn’t,
 it turned out, enough. It appeared that a bullet had also nicked the dog’s esophagus, hindering
Drake’s ability to eat and drink. Simmons hoped the surgeons at the University of Florida’s veterinary school
could take Drake the rest of the way — and
 he was willing to fly dog and owner there to give it a shot.

Boody only reluctantly put himself in the spotlight, speaking to the press this week in hopes of finding
Drake’s assailants and helping cover mounting medical bills. Friday night, he asked Dr. Ken Simmons to do
 the talking. “I’m just totally emotionally spent,” Simmons said Friday evening after Drake had died.
“I so bad wanted this to be something good for all of these people that were so enthralled with this dog’s
 fight. At the end of the day, you feel like you let them all down.” Drake was euthanized at about
 6:15 p.m. Friday after Simmons consulted with Boody and doctors in Gainesville.
A necropsy will be performed on Drake Saturday.

However, it is believed that a bullet severed a blood vessel in Drake’s neck. Simmons said it was agreed among himself,
 Boody and doctors in Gainesville that additional surgery would likely have caused Drake more suffering.
“I’m really happy that I took him up to (the University of) Florida today because we had some of the
 brightest minds in veterinary medicine on the planet all gathered around this dog, thinking through
how it was going to go,” Simmons said. “At the end of it, we didn’t leave any stones unturned,
 we didn’t put Drake
through any pain. He didn’t feel any pain at all.”

A 16-year-old boy has been arrested and authorities are looking for two others believed to have been the
 armed intruders who tangled with the retired patrol dog.

Palm Beach County sheriff’s investigators said they tracked the teen, whose name is withheld because of
 his age, through his ankle monitor. He is on probation through the Division of Juvenile Justice for
 burglary and grand theft. Investigators say he confessed to shooting the dog and told them the
 three knew the house belonged to a law enforcement officer and targeted it because they believed
there were guns and money inside.
“He had no remorse,” Detective Philip DiMola said.
 “I asked him, ‘Did you think about that dog today?’ He said no.”

 ( shot / euthanized )
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA & Dawn Lehman

In Loving Memory of
November 2012

Handler: Officer Billy Logan (RET)
Atlantic City Police Department
2711 Atlantic Avenue
Atlantic City, NJ 08401
Atlantic City K-9 laid to rest

It was emotional day for a retired Atlantic City Police officer who had to put his K-9 partner down after 14 years of partnership.
He took his final steps with honor: walking past several of the dogs he trained and worked with. "This is the hardest
thing I've ever had to do in my life," retired Atlantic City Police officer Billy Logan said. Billy Logan and
 his best companion rolled in the grass one last time in front of the retired officers house as dozens of officers
and friends from around the state looked on. As they shared their final moments together, Deuce enjoyed his favorite treat.

"Every time Deuce did well on the street or he made an apprehension or rescued a child or located someone he
 was always rewarded with a McDonalds happy meal. His favorite was the cheeseburger but he didn't like the
 pickles and of course I got to keep the toy but we played with it together," Billy explained. Billy and Deuce
 did just about everything together for the last 14 years. He was part of the family and most days he
and Billy spent 16 hours a day together. Billy remembers the first time they met.

"When he opened the gate I was new to the K-9 thing. I had no idea what was going to happen. This dog comes
charging up, jumps up on my shoulders and licks my face and from then on I knew we were going to be a great team,
" Billy said. They were a great working team; for 10 years Deuce patrolled the streets of Atlantic City and
was honored with so many awards he made it into the K-9 hall of fame. Before it was all over, Billy and
Deuce went back to where Deuce became a warrior at the former K9 training facility. He wasn't his regular self,
but he got an escort back home fit for a king. As Deuce was put to rest he gave Billy a kiss just like he
did the first time they met.

"I held his face and he peacefully went down and he gave me a kiss before he left and he licked my face and
he looked at me slowly as his head went down on to the bed onto my hands," Billy said with tears in his eyes.
Deuce was a veteran in every sense of the word; he was a warrior that went into battle and now a legend that never dies.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

An import
The pure-bred German shepherd was imported from the Czech Republic more than six years ago.
The belief is that there are higher breed standards in other countries. Police departments prefer European dogs.

“The European dogs are bred time and time again for work,” Shippe said. “They are really good solid work dogs,
which come from a history of working. We hoped to get 10-11 years out of the dog.”

Deuce arrived with no training and they both learned together at the K9
academy training facility in Wayne with
other teams. They trained every Wednesday with other K9 handlers.
Deuce and Shippe were both certified through the National Association of K9 Handlers.
That included narcotic detection,
tracking, evidence and area searches, obedience and handler protection.

Deuce went home with Shippe after every shift. Shippe was the only officer allowed to take a police car home.
Deuce could check large buildings and in a few minutes determine that nobody was hidden.
 Deuce faced his own danger. Although he had never been shot at, a suspect once tried to stab him.
“We were tracking for another city,” Shippe said. “A guy had committed three armed robberies.
We tracked him into the woods and we found him hiding behind a house.”
During the apprehension in Wayne, the suspect made an attempt to stab Deuce.
“We were able to call him off the guy quick enough,” Shippe said.
If Deuce had lived long enough to retire, he would have continued to live with Shippe at home.
“Bruce and Deuce,” as they were nicknamed, were featured in a edition of Police K9 Magazine,
 a national magazine. Deuce did surface tracking.
“They wanted a dog that was phenomenal in tracking in parking lots and streets,” Shippe said.
“He kept his nose right on the ground going across the concrete at mach one speed and never lifted it up.”

While keeping his nose to the ground, Deuce also never took his eyes off the Observer photographer.
“I've had a lot of great moments with him,” Shippe said. (313) 222-2249

In Loving Memory of
(AKA Beychief Running Wolf)
2003 - 2012

Handler: Vince Cummins
Corrective Services NSW

Sadly today K9 Demon (Beychief Running Wolf) passed away six months after surgery for cancer.
He died peacefully and his handler buried him in the paddock where he played as a baby.
It was also his favourite spot when he visited with Vince Cummins his handler.
Demon served many years with Corrective Services NSW, and trained in riot control, drug detection and
proved a top dog. On his retirement with Vince, Demon continued working as a Security K9
and Vince was once called out to protect Nicole Kidman. He was a brother to Police Dogs Titan and Carts LODD
 (Line of duty death). At home with the family he was a great pet and loved by everybody who knew him.
 RIP Demon. 2003 to 2012.
submitted by Jim Cortina ....and ... Christine from Australia .....

In Loving Memory of
August 12, 2012

Handler: Officer Eric Garza
Brownsville Police Department
600 E. Jackson St.
Brownsville, TX

Police handler pays tribute to K-9 partner, Dusty

Brownsville Police Officer Eric Garza wiped tears from his eyes with a moist blue handkerchief Friday as
 members of the community and law enforcement officials gathered to pay respect to Dusty, his fallen canine partner.
Police held a memorial Friday morning in a conference room at Brownsville Police Department headquarters.
 Law enforcement officials from throughout the Rio Grande Valley attended.
Dusty joined the force in 2005 after Marco Huerta, K-9 coordinator for the BPD,
discovered him in a small town in Slovakia.
The German shepherd, known for its keen sense of smell and ability to assist police in uncovering
 hidden narcotics and cash, died from unknown causes the night of Aug. 12, Huerta said.
 Dusty had been on patrol the night before.
In the last year alone, Huerta said Dusty was responsible for assisting the Cameron County Sheriff’s
Department in finding 1,000 pounds of marijuana. Not too long ago, Dusty helped the BPD
uncover $370,000 hidden in the gas tank of a van.
Huerta said Dusty was solely responsible for assisting officers seize more than
10 pounds of cocaine since last year. “On May 12 of this year, he had a seizure
 of 250 pounds of marijuana. He was able to sneak around a residence and hit on a smell at a residence,”
Huerta said. “We were able to get a warrant and make that seizure.”
Most recently, police were investigating an illegal transaction in the downtown area when
the suspect bailed out of his car and fled. Garza and Dusty deployed.
“Dusty gave chase and the suspect realized he was being chased by a police dog and he gave up
and threw his hands in the air,” Huerta said. “As you can see, these dogs are special tools.”
But Dusty also had a soft side, according to Garza. He said one of his favorite memories of
 Dusty was just being out in Brownsville and children coming up to him to tell him they remember
 the pair from when they visited schools.
“I believe Dusty touched many lives in many ways. We spoke to thousands of children of
 all ages,” Garza said in a prepared statement that Huerta read as Garza looked on,
too choked up to read it himself. Dusty won numerous awards in competitions he participated in with Garza.
But for Garza, Dusty was more than a partner; he was part of his family.
“I want to say thank you to K-9 Dusty for always working because he didn’t just protect me at work,
he protected my family at home,” Garza said in the statement that Huerta read.
Police Chief Orlando C. Rodriguez said the loss affects the entire law enforcement community.
“Any of you who are dog lovers can just imagine what it’s like to lose a companion.
That’s something nobody likes to deal with, but then you can imagine that canine in
 your partner, in life. While he’s at your home, he has a higher duty and performs
that for his community day in and day out,” Rodriguez said." We will celebrate and remember
 Dusty for everything he has done and everything he did,” the chief said.

BPD plans will erect a memorial for Dusty at its headquarters, and Dusty will be laid to rest at Garza’s home. 
By MARK REAGAN/The Brownsville Herald -
   - submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

July 20 or approx.
Handler: Patrolman Michael Thompson  
Long Beach Township Department
6805 Long Beach Blvd
Brant Beach NJ 08008
 K9 Diesel dies from cancer

Officials with the Long Beach Township Board of Commissioners took a moment at their regular meeting to honor
the memory of Diesel, Long Beach Township's K9 unit dog who passed last week. The dog had been working with
Patrolman Michael Thompson since July 2004. Diesel aided the police department in drug busts and he was
trained in criminal apprehension, tracking and locating missing or endangered persons, and article or evidence
 searches. Diesel also regularly dazzled crowds with public demonstrations which showcased his obedience,
 agility, scent work, apprehensions and handler protection.

According to information on the Township's website, Diesel and Thompson competed in the 2007 USPCA
 Region 15 K9 Trials, and took first place in the competition, with a score of 687.32 out of 700.
 In a statement posted during the Commissioners meeting, Thompson noted that Diesel had a cancerous
mass in his  body that had ruptured. He added "it was truly an honor for me to be Diesel's partner.
Not only was he a great K9, he was loving and loyal companion." He added, "I lost my partner,
 friend and a family member." Interviewed following the meeting, Mayor Joseph H. Mancini said
he was "very sad," to hear the news. He was unaware if the Township had plans, at this point,
 to train another K9 unit.
  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

Handler: Officer Mark Scambia 
Evesham Police Department
984 Tuckerton Rd.
Marlton, NJ 08053

A sad day for the Evesham Township Police Department

The Evesham Police Department regrets to announce the passing of K-9 Dyos. Dyos was almost 12 years old when he was put to rest. He served as a member on the Evesham Police Departments Canine unit for eight-and-a-half years, retiring from duty in November of 2011. During his years of service to the department Dyos assisted patrol officers on hundreds of calls for service, building searches, missing person searches, suspect apprehensions, was responsible for the arrests of countless people and the confiscation of large quantities of narcotics. Dyos was also instrumental in the seizure of numerous motor vehicles, a large amount of property and currency. He also participated in numerous community relations functions such as demonstrations for youth groups.

When the term police canine is mentioned, many people think of the invaluable crime fighting and public relations service a canine provides to the law enforcement organization and the citizens they serve, but forget the humanistic significance of the police canine. K-9 Dyos was a valued member of the Evesham Police Departments family. He was also the protector, partner, friend and family member of Officer Mark Scambia. His enthusiasm and sense of duty to the people of Evesham Township will be missed. Dyos, we salute you and thank you for your dedicated service. You will be greatly missed by handler Officer Mark Scambia, his family, and the men and women of the Evesham Police Department. May you rest in peace.  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
May 10, 2012

Handler: Officer Tod Maas
Superior Police Department
1316 North 14th St # 150
Superior, WI 54880
Dargo rests at the feet of his partner, Superior Police Officer Todd Maas, after being presented
with a badge in 2003. The German Shepherd, the department’s first K9 officer in more
 than 20 years, was euthanized May 10. He served from 2003-2006, when injuries sustained
while tracking a suspect in Duluth led to his retirement. Over the past six years,
Dargo has lived with Kim Bradshaw of Superior. He became a beloved member of both
her family and the community.

As the first police K-9 in the Superior Police Department in more than 20 years, Dargo left a lasting impression,
both on the neighborhood children who played with him and the officers who worked with him. “He was one in
 a million,” said Kim Bradshaw, who cared for the retired police canine the last six years. “Everyone loved him,”
 said her son, Nate Finstad. The dog was, said those who knew him, both an officer and a gentleman.
Superior Police Officer Todd Maas was paired with Dargo in 2003. “When I was selected to be the canine handler,
my mother thought that was the most insane move being at the time I had two small children at home,” Maas said.
But Dargo’s personable, calm nature soon put her at ease.

“Everyone who worked with and knew Dargo fully enjoyed playing with and being around him,” Maas said. “Dargo
opened the eyes of a lot of people around the city of Superior.” Dargo knew when to turn on his work mode and
when to turn it off, said veterinarian Bob McClellan with Superior Animal Hospital and Boarding Suites, which
provides free medical care for the Superior Police and Douglas County Sheriff’s departments K9 dogs.
 “He was a really friendly dog,” said McClellan. “Dargo, he was something special.” The canine excelled in drug
detection and was recognized in 2005 for the Narcotics Find of the Year by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement
Canine Handlers Association for finding four ounces of methamphetamine and half a pound of marijuana that
 was very well hidden in a vehicle.

Maas estimated the German Shepherd located drugs well over 150 times and was responsible or assisted in more
 than 100 arrests. He also got away with things no other officer could, like leaving a pile of droppings in front
of Chief Floyd Peters’ door one night or greeting Dan Wicklund, the owner of Dan’s Feed Bin, by peeing on
him. “Being a great sport Dan laughed as I pulled Dargo away,” Maas said. “Nothing like going on the guy that
 feeds you, I said.” Dan’s Feed Bin donates food for the Superior and Douglas County K-9 units. Although Dargo
 lived for playing tug, and hide and seek, the one part of his police training he could pass on was agility work.

When he completed a piece of agility course equipment and Maas was not close, he would make a beeline to the
 squad hinting he wanted to be done. In 2006, Dargo was tracking a suspect in the west end hillside of Duluth
 when he jumped off a 5-foot retaining wall and compacted his spine. The incident caused nerve damage that
would soon end his police work. That December, he went to live with Bradshaw. “I know Todd would have kept
 Dargo if he could have,” she said, but he had two other dogs at home, including his new K-9 partner, Blek.
 The Superior woman had to take a crash course in German command words, the only kind Dargo knew.

Although she and others who gave commands often garbled the language, and even his name, the canine was
able to get the gist of it. “He was the epitome of patience,” Bradshaw said. And he would calmly sit still
for hugs from children of all ages. “Every day he brought me joy and happiness,” she said. “I have so many
 favorite memories of him.” The first time she took Dargo through the car wash was an experience. He went nuts,
 sending the truck rocking and barking in a high-pitched tone. The 90-pound canine also had a habit of
 jumping at water hoses. The dog’s favorite thing was visiting with Maas, who stopped by regularly.
That was followed closely by chasing squirrels, although Dargo never caught one.

“He loved plastic bottles,” Finstad said. “He would sit and flatten them (chew them flat); he could do it
for hours.” And during fetch he sat patiently — even as long as 10 minutes — until given the command
 to “go get it.” The canine had the ability to read people very well, Bradshaw said. If Dargo didn’t trust someone,
his instincts were right on the nose. Despite his many medical issues and surgeries, Dargo was a very happy
 dog. But recently, his back legs started to lock up on him. He was having a hard time with stairs and even
walking. “I made myself and I made Todd a promise if it either got too painful or his frustration level was
 too much, I wouldn’t put him through that,” Bradshaw said. “You have to do what’s best for him.”
On May 10, he was euthanized. Prior to that, neighbors dropped by Bradshaw’s home to say goodbye and
give him treats. Maas spent his last few hours with Dargo playing tug-of-war. “Dargo made a lot of friends
 in this lifetime,” Bradshaw said. “He’s going to be missed by everyone.
”  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
March 29, 2012

Handler: Officer Todd Carnes 
Tahlequah Police Department 
101 South Cherokee Avenue

Tahlequah, OK 74464

Police bid farewell to fellow officer

Canine officer Duke, a seven-year veteran of the Tahlequah Police Department that’s been battling arthritis
 for some time, officially retired from his duties last week. Duke said goodbye to fellow police officers
Thursday night. After a year of medical treatments for arthritis, city officials allowed Duke to call it quits
to spend the rest of his life living with his handler of six years, Officer Todd Carnes. “He has arthritis in
his hips,” said Carnes. “He’s been on medicine for a year now, and the arthritis is affecting his job duties.”
 Duke, an 8-year-old chocolate lab, was introduced to the department in 2005 through funding from the
Cherokee Nation. Reasor’s kept him fed by donating dog food, and Dr. Steve Ullom of Timbers Veterinary
 Clinic donated his time and medical expenses to watch over the canine’s health.

Ullom recently wrote a letter to the Tahlequah City Council to report his medical findings on Duke.
 “His discomfort is finally getting to the point where it is affecting his performance at work,” Ullom wrote.
 “In my professional opinion, it would be in Duke’s best interest to begin looking at retirement options.”
 Unlike Teddy, a German-Shepherd canine working with the TPD, Duke wasn’t trained for criminal apprehension
 – Carnes has said Duke’s a “lover, not a fighter” – but the arthritis still impacted his abilities. “He’s trained
in detection of drugs, to track and trail, for article finds – he does everything except criminal apprehension,”
 said Carnes. “And he’s a positive-alert canine, which means he sits down and stares straight at
the object to alert to it.”

Sitting as he was trained to do can cause issues for the canine; sometimes he can’t walk. “He took care of
 me for six years, so I pushed the issue to take care of him and let him retire,” said Carnes. Duke was
trained in Missouri for about four months before joining the department. Over the years, he’s had an average
of 16 hours per month of continuous training with his handler.

He knows basic commands many other Cherokee County canines are taught as pups – “sit,” “stay,” “lay down,”
 and “no” – but unlike other dogs around here, he’s also trained to unique commands, such as to find dope
, to find an item, or to “track.” And all those commands are given not in English, but in German.

“The old myth was, if you trained your dog in German, no one else could tell him a command,” said Carnes.
 “The main reason we still use it now is that it sounds cool.” Duke has assisted in some big cases over
 the years. One of Carnes’ most memorable was the execution of a warrant at a home where residents were
 selling methamphetamine, marijuana and other narcotics. As officers headed up the drive way, five dogs
 ran out of the home. Cameras were strategically placed outside to alert those inside of impending police activity.
 Officers secured the people inside the house, and Duke was called in for a search of the home.

“As I walk in, I’m taking in the scene and immediately see that there are random pans of dog food –
approximately five – and two pans of cat food scattered throughout the house,” said Carnes. “A regular canine
 search of a house is remarkable enough, but to have all these elements combined can make it difficult for
 a canine handler to contend with, and it is nearly impossible for a canine to work.” Outside, the five dogs
that lived at the house were barking, and inside, cats scattered back and forth. “We were making our way
through the house,” said Carnes. “No alerts yet. We get to the last room, and as soon as we start walking
around, I noticed a change in Duke’s behavior.”

Duke noticed a ceiling fan spinning above, Carnes said, which had been set to the highest level. The canine
 continued his search of the room, eventually making his way to an open 50-pound bag of dog food. “Knowing
 how Duke loves his treats, I’m assuming he can’t stand it anymore and is getting hungry,” said Carnes.
 “Then, he sits down. This is how he indicates a find – this is his final alert signal to me. He is just staring
 at the dog-food sack.” Carnes and Duke made their way back outside to alert other officers of Duke’s search
 and findings. “They go inside and come back out with a metal can,” said Carnes. “Inside the sealed metal
can was meth, marijuana, and cash.
All of these items were found buried halfway down inside the 50-pound sack of dog food. Everybody was
 really proud of Duke and needless to say, so was I.” Duke, during another case, found 2.5 kilos of meth
 floating in a gas tank. “It was vacuum-sealed six times over,” said Carnes. “He always had my back
and made me more aware of my surroundings by his actions. Canines have another sense about them.”
 He has also been a big hit with local children. Duke and Carnes have participated in drug-awareness
 demonstrations at schools, church groups, and other venues around the area, and Duke participated in
 Red Ribbon Week every year he was with the TPD.

At the approval of the city council, Duke will continue living with Carnes and his family, something Carnes
 said he is extremely grateful for. “He means a lot to us, and I want to thank the city council for
 allowing me to keep him,” said Carnes. “He’s like a member of our family, and I’m pretty positive that
 my first night out without him, I’ll find him waiting at the door for me when I pull up, wagging his tail,
waiting for me to say ‘hi’ to him and take him outside for a break.”
 submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
March 18, 2012

Handler: Officer Ron Goodpaster

Roseville Police Department
1051 Junction Blvd.
Roseville, CA 95678
RIP Drago: Former Roseville K9 DIED – degenerative (myelopathy )
Drago, a German shepherd and former Roseville Police K9, passed away over the weekend. He retired early from
 the department because of a genetic disease.
Drago was a German shepherd who served as a Roseville Police
K9 with Officer Ron Goodpaster for about five years. Drago was diagnosed with degenerative myelopathy,
which is essentially multiple sclerosis for dogs, Goodpaster said. Degenerative myelopathy is a disease
where the immune system attacks the lining of the spinal cord and eventually causes the dog to lose control
 of its hindquarter. "Ron said, he was a great Police dog and a true best friend. His short retirement was
filled with love at home, though he much rather would have been at work. Drago served the city well,
and we kept each other safe in many dangerous situations. Unfortunately, I could not keep him safe from disease."   
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
February 6, 2012

Handler: Officer Rich Little
Sioux City Police Department
601 Douglas St.
Sioux City, IA  51101

K9 Dasty, died Feb. 6 after a brief illness 

The Sioux City Police Department lost a member of the force when one of its police dogs, K9 Dasty, died
 last week. The department announced on its website that Dasty, a 10-year veteran, died Feb. 6 after
 a brief illness. Police say Dasty tracked criminals, searched for drugs and aided in the capture of felons
while working the night shift with Officer Rich Little. He finished second place at the 2006 Patrol Dog
Trials and was a member of winning teams in 2005, 2006 and 2007. "This is tough for Officer Little and
 the team," Sgt. Jay Fleckenstein, head of the K9 program, said in a statement. "These dogs are more
than just a partners to us but also a member of our family." The Sioux City Police Department now has
 four police dogs. Police Chief Doug Young said in a statement that police dogs bring an immeasurable value
 to the department's team. "Losing K9 Dasty will be felt for a while and he is a dog that many officers
will not soon forget," Young said. Dasty was the second local police dog to die of illness recently. In October,
 the Estherville Police Department's dog, Max, died of
immune mediated hemolytic anemia. The German Shepherd
was 5 years old. 

Submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA