Memorials to Fallen K-9s 

The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

In Loving Memory of
November 30, 2011

Handler: Officer Dean DeVlugt
Atherton Police Department
83 Ashfield Rd.
Atherton, CA  94027
Ph: 650 688.6500  Fax: 650 323.1804

Police dog dies after eating leaves of popular garden plant

"Lotty," one of two Atherton police K-9s, died on Nov. 30, 2011, after ingesting a sago palm, which is toxic to both animals and humans.

Though trained like all other K-9 dogs to handle dangerous situations in the hunt for criminals, a German shepherd used by the Atherton Police Department recently died after eating the leaves of a popular garden plant. The canine, named Lotty, died Nov. 30 after ingesting the parts of a sago palm in the backyard of her handler, Officer Dean DeVlugt, according to the police department. When their work is done police dogs go home with their handlers and become "part of the family," said police Lt. Joe Wade. Lotty was usually "a bundle of energy" but gradually became lethargic after eating the plant over the course of a week or so, Wade said. Concerned, DeVlugt took the dog to the vet, but by then it was too late.

Veterinarians "tried valiantly to save Lotty, but the poison from the deadly plant shut down her liver," Interim City Manager John Danielson wrote in a memo to the town council last week. Sago palms look like short trees and have become a popular landscape option in recent years. According to Redwood City veterinarian Cathy Jennings, who did not treat Lotty, a sago palm is on a list of eight plants considered common garden poisons for pets that she gives to all her clients. The other plants include azaleas, Easter lilies, lantanas, mistletoe, nightshades, oleander and yew. Jennings said it's not uncommon for pets such as Lotty to die from eating such plants, especially around the holidays with so much mistletoe around as well as poinsettias, which are toxic but not deadly.

If a pet has eaten a poisonous plant, the owner should take it and a sample of the plant to a veterinarian, she said. A poison control hotline can also give advice, she said. Lotty's death hit Atherton's police department hard, Wade said. She was almost 4 years old and had been with the department since she was 2. "Everybody loved her, how can you not love a dog that's so happy?" he said. "She was overly jubilant to be at work." Police dogs assist in searches of buildings and other locations to help find and apprehend dangerous suspects, he said. Lotty was specially trained to follow a scent.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
12/31/9 - 11/29/11
(need photo and handler's name)

Owner/ SAR handler:

Shepherd/Husky.  Beautiful blue eyes.  A tail that curled when happy.  Excited circle dances when we arrived home. Husky behavior: no need for pats, kisses, & even scratches.  She enjoyed squeaky toys (& would fall asleep mouthing her favorite toys).  A single bark was enough to let us know she wanted out or in.  Recently, a friend commented that she thought Luna might have 'doggie alzheimers' as it seemed Luna couldn't remember she had JUST been out or in (the 'other side of the door' beckoned, after all!)...occasionally this in/out necessity was such that I would say, "after all, you are a "female dog" (ie:  bi*ch)!"

Long legs & toes.  Thick coat that shed constantly.  She didn’t want to lean on us or be cuddled.  When we called her, she’d usually go in the opposite direction (ok, at the risk of being completely politically incorrect, we think she was the Mistress of the "WTF?!?" Look whenever any of us tried to pat or love her!).  She was happiest about 6’ away from us (facing away, of course!)…or self-kenneled under the piano stool, dining room table, or the table in the office.  She would rest her chin – on our legs, begging at the dinner table (!?!) or on the couch or bed, asking for permission to get up (always granted, of course!). 

When we adopted her from the Animal Rescue League, we were told she'd been surrendered for "no time" in New Bedford.  She had impeccable leash manners (healed perfectly and sat immediately upon stopping), didn't counter surf or steal food...yet had no commands???  I was thinking about police dogs continuing their native language (German, Dutch, French, Czech) with handlers...and thought that in New Bedford there's a lot of Portuguese-speaking folks; googled Portuguese to English and sure enough:  we found Luna 'spoke' Portuguese!

We're grateful to Christina Taddei Rossetti of Alpha Dog Training (and former K9 Handler for Milford Police Department), for helping us train Luna (even though Luna finally informed us that "come" would NOT be in her vocabulary!!!).  We are also grateful for a Canine Invisible Fence - which granted her the freedom to go in/out pretty much at will...always on the watch for the potential deer or bunnies that just might invade 'her' yard!

There was a cold period last winter when she insisted on squeezing between Phil and I – on the love seat recliner!  She did love toys that squeeked or groaned…and never pulled out the stuffing, until Skippy (Lisa’s rat terrier) showed her how.  She loved peanut butter.  Treats were nice, but not necessary.  Food was good, but sometimes she didn’t eat for up to 48 hours.  She desperately wanted to get the bunny who lived out back – we swear that bunny knew exactly where the invisible fence stopped and would hang out there, frustrating Luna!  In her younger days, she went camping with us, and loved hanging out.  Feb ’10 she had a TTA surgery to correct a blown ACL.  The titanium plate & surgery allowed her almost 20 months of full mobility.  She’d recently been slowing down.  Yesterday several symptoms caused us to take her to the emergency vets, yielding a “very sick dog” with the final answer that dog parents dread most.  As noted above, join us in celebrating Luna's life - all that love she gave us in her own, very unique way!
Join us in celebrating Luna’s Life:  12/31/99-11/29/11  (adopted into the Hinds family: 6/7/03). 

Free Dog, Luna Tunes!  Run with ease at *The Rainbow Bridge!  Love & hugs, pretty girl!

*You've seen The Rainbow Bridge...but there's a big part that's simply missing - that's actually wistfully joyful (honest!) and reflects REAL dog behavior! (inserted in blue - my own writing) - scroll down...

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.  When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind. They all run and play together

Upon arrival they meet a phenomenal pack - the dogs they remember but lost during their lifetime and meet new dogs - ones their humans had before they became part of their humans' pack (AKA family). 

New arrivals are greeted as they always have:  a great round of butt-sniffing, segueing directly into pee-marking-territory/re-marking/re-re-marking [Luna wouldn't be bothered with re-marking.  once was ENOUGH!]  ...immediately followed by a frenzied game of tag - back and forth, nip and run, interspersed with great gulps of water to push on.  Tag comes to an end only as the pack collapses with exhaustion to rest and sleep.  The pups curl up/stretch out/some next to one another/some off by themselves, contentedly drifting off to sleep - paws twitching, whimpers and whines staccato the air as they re-play the day's activities and days gone by in their dreams.  Suddenly they awaken, to greet a new arrival - the butt-sniffing and all begins again!

but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. Her bright eyes are intent. Her eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart. Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....                             - Author unknown

This imagery of Luna 'enjoying her new home' is comforting. 
Please share 'special Luna memories' or pictures with us.
 Remembering her unique "husky" love will help heal
the hearts of those who bear a Luna pawprint on them.

In Loving Memory of
November 22, 2011

Handler: Const. Eric Hembruff
Toronto Police Department

Const. Eric Hembruff is shown with Luke, a police service dog who died last week. Luke had served with the force for nine years.

Dylan C. Robertson Staff Reporter

They’re some of the city’s grittiest crime investigators, sniffing out narcotics, looking for clues at shooting scenes and helping to find missing children.  They are often the unsung heroes of the Toronto Police Service, but they have earned the respect of some of the toughest officers on the force. 

Toronto police are mourning two service dogs who died from illness last week.
General patrol dog Luke and narcotics and firearms detector dog Keno leave behind a team of 29 dogs. Service dogs live with their police handlers, becoming part of the officer’s family.  “The relationship you form with a canine partner is very special; it’s completely different than your own dog”, said Const. Jennifer Powis of Police Dog Services.  “It’s devastating to everybody,” said Powis. “It’s really hard on the handler and the whole unit.”  Training Sgt. Paul Caissie had similar thoughts.  “To lose two dogs affected us for our strength as well as the good work we do on a day-to-day basis,” Caissie said in a statement.  Both dogs were assigned to Const. Eric Hembruff. Only first-class constables are chosen as handlers, who must meet rigorous physical and training standards.  “This was not only a great loss to Eric but also to our Dog Services family and the entire service,” said Caissie, adding it’s uncommon to lose dogs during their tenure. 
Service dogs are generally acquired at 1 to 2 years of age and usually serve for up to 10 years.  German Shepherd Luke was nearing retirement as a 9-year-old. As a general patrol dog, his job included capturing suspects and clearing public spaces.
He was known as being energetic and loyal. Hembruff was assigned Luke in 2007 and trained with him for eight weeks.  At his inauguration as a dog handler in April 2008, Hembruff said the two had grown quite close after learning to read each others’ body language.  “For Luke, it’s all a game for him — he thinks he’s looking for his toy,” said Hembruff, referring to the blue plastic ball he rewarded Luke with after operations.  Keno was a 6-year-old Springer Spaniel, a confident dog who helped with many contraband seizures.  “As a result of Eric's hard work and determination, he was identified as a candidate for a specially trained narcotics detection dog,” Caissie said.
“Every day I’m reminded of the great work these dogs do.” 
 submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
September 19, 2011

Handler: Officeer Jerry Garcia
University of Arizona Police Department
(520) 621-8273
1852 East First Street
Tucson, Arizona 85721

Local Police force loses valued member

Detaining suspects, detecting illicit substances and deterring children from harmful behaviors were all in a day’s work for Lobo, the University of Arizona Police Department’s dearly loved canine.  The diligent doggie retired from law enforcement in February 2008 after being diagnosed with four ruptured discs and was enjoying a life of leisure at the home of officer Jerry Garcia, Lobo’s handler-turned-family member. He passed away Sept. 19.  Lobo spent six years as a working police dog. His service with the Mount Graham unit took him on a variety of adventures, ranging from tracking and detaining suspects to sniffing out illegal substances during warranted home searches and traffic stops. He was continuously engaged in exercises designed to keep his skills sharp; canine units are required to recertify annually. In November 2002, Lobo and his handler participated in the 14th annual Tucson Police K-9 Trials, and out of 58 teams, Lobo placed seventh in Tactical Obedience, third in Handler Protection and first in Building Search.  He was also known for the demonstrations he did for various organizations and events and was particularly adored by the elementary schoolchildren. His biggest fans were the ones in his own home — his family, the Garcias.  Officer Garcia, like many handlers, believes in the importance of maintaining a warm and loving home environment for the canine units, as much so as with any regular family pet.  “Even when they are working dogs, they are part of the family,” Garcia said. Lobo was very protective of and loving toward his family, and he will truly be missed.  During Lobo’s lifetime, his handler received assistance from the Arizona Law Enforcement Canine Association, an organization dedicated to promoting and assisting in the utilization of police service dogs in the prevention and detection of crime, as well as endorsing related educational programs and providing assistance to law enforcement agencies wishing to implement police service dogs in law enforcement.

Donations to assist in these efforts can be made, and more information can be obtained at

By Krista Olmstead
Contributing writer
Published on Monday, October 10, 2011 10:33 AM MST

The University of Arizona Police Department currently has 5 active service K-9s. The dogs and their respective handlers are certified in bomb detection, drug detection and patrol assistance. In addition to assisting UAPD officers, K-9 units assist outside agencies such as Tucson Police, M.A.N.T.I.S., The Department of Public Safety, U.S. Customs and D.E.A. UAPD K-9 handlers hold public demonstrations and have competed in various competitions. Each K-9 and handler is a member of
The National Police Canine Association and The Arizona Law Enforcement Canine Association
submitted by Jim Cortina, DIR, CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

September 24, 2011

Handler: Officer Robert Rosales
Eugene Police Department
777 Pearl St., Room 107
Eugene, OR
Eugene NON-EMERGENCIES: 541.682.5111
Eugene Police Department K-9 remembered
The Eugene Police Department reported Saturday that overnight, their K-9 Loek passed away from natural causes. Officer Robert Rosales was preparing for work Friday when he found his partner of six and a half years passed away even though according to him Loek had been his “jovial self” just the day before. EPD described Loek as a “hard-charging dog with a lot of fight and high profile captures.” He did well with children as they often took him to school demonstrations. Loek was born in Holland of July 2001 and arrived in the United States as Officer Rosales’ partner four years later. Loek’s most notable deployment, according to EPD, was in 2010 when he captured a homicide suspect hiding in the middle of a clear cut hours after the murder. Officers also recall when Loek caught a predatory sex offender; Loek tracked the suspect down from at the scene of the crime about a quarter of a mile away. They were just two of many. Officer Rosales said in a release, “After numerous heartaches, he and I developed an understanding relationship that would blossom into an awesome work force that I am extremely proud of and would do it all over again! K-9 Loek and I have had several ups and downs along our career with more ups than downs to include some very high profile captures. I just want to say thanks to those who believed in us and knowing that if there was a bad guy to find, we would find them. He will be missed dearly not only by me but by the department as well.”
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
August 16, 2011

Afghan National Police Forces

Explosives dog dies in Afghanistan

Lucky the explosives detection dog working in Afghanistan has been declared missing in action, and is probably dead. The golden Labrador broke away from his handlers in the Australian Special Forces and Afghan National Police force during a fight on July 4. Sergeant Todd Langley died during the same incident in the northern Helmand province. The commanding officer of the special operations task group, Lieutenant Colonel G, said small arms and rocket-propelled grenade fire during the skirmish prevented soldiers from safely retrieving Lucky at the time. He said they made repeated attempts to call the dog back but the animal was last seen near a concentrated group of insurgents. Post-action analysis of the battle and subsequent monitoring of the region led Defence to conclude that Lucky was likely killed in the fighting. "Our dogs are important to our operations and our handlers form extremely close bonds with their dog," Lieutenant Colonel G said. Losing a dog was is particularly hard on handlers but it also affected the whole team who enjoy their company. Defence delayed announcing Lucky's disappearance and likely death until it had exhausted all avenues of searching for him, including offering a reward in the local area.   submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
July 14, 2011

Handler:  Officer Brian Buckholtz
Fairfax County Police Department
4100 Chain Bridge Road
Fairfax, Virginia 22030
Colonel David M. Rohrer

Dog Who Helped Solve Springfield Shooting Passes Away
A police dog who helped solve crimes while fighting his own battle with cancer passed away earlier this month, according to a Fairfax County Police Department press release. The dog, named Lightcap, passed away on July 14. He worked in FCPD's K-9 unit as a member of a bomb disposal team from April 2006 until February 2011. Lightcap and his handler, Officer Brian Buckholtz, worked at the Franconia District Station. According to police, Lightcap was always eager for a game of fetch. During his time with the department, Lightcap located several explosive devices, according to police. Lightcap helped solve an October 2010 shooting in Springfield by finding a spent shell casing.
submitted by Jim Cortina, CPWDA Dir.

In Loving Memory of
June 29, 2011

Greenville Police Department
Police dog dies in hot car  
A Greenville police dog has died. Liberty the bloodhound was left in a squad car in the heat earlier this week
 and he died from heat related injuries.

The mission of the canine unit is:

  • To provide the specialized services of a highly trained canine team
  • To support field units in the performance of their duties
  • To assist in locating and apprehending suspects and items of evidence that may be of value in a criminal case


Two canine teams: one trained and certified in patrol, illegal drugs, and trafficking and one trained and certified in tracking.
Duties include, but are not limited to:
  • Responding to calls for service, traffic enforcement, and any other normal patrol function
  • Performing the following additional services:
    • Search for and apprehend suspects
    • Search for lost and missing children or adults
    • Search for evidence from criminal offenses
    • Search for illegal drugs

The Canine Unit also supports the community through awareness programs in our school and civic organizations. The Unit also provides support for area agencies that request the services of the canine.
For more information, contact the Police Department at (903) 457-2900.

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
May, 2011

Handler: Sgt. Tom Shaw
St. Charles Police Department
St. Charles, MO.

Retired St. Charles Police dog Lars dies

The Saint Charles Police Department Canine Unit is comprised of Sergeant Tom Shaw and K-9 Lars. They have been working together since April of 2002 and are a certified dual-purpose patrol and narcotic K-9 team, certified in narcotics detection, tracking, building searches, area searches, aggression/bite work, article searches, and handler protection. The team was recertified by the North American Police Work Dog Association in September of 2005 for the third year. Lars is trained to alert on a variety of narcotics. He is capable of tracking and locating a person who has traveled on foot many miles away from a scene.  He can locate evidence as small as a car key in an open field and is also trained to protect Sergeant Shaw and can be released from the K-9 vehicle by remote control if necessary. The team continues to work in close cooperation with the St. Charles School District to assist in keeping the schools safe and drug free and is deployed to the school system numerous times each year.  Lars and Sergeant Shaw promote positive police/community relations by their participation in events such as National Night Out and the Citizen Police Academy. All veterinary care, food, and grooming have been donated to the K-9 program by local businesses. Gateway Veterinary Clinic, Critters Pet Shop, and Fox Grooming Den have made a valuable contribution to the success of the Department's K-9 program.
When retired St. Charles K-9 Lars died last month, his handler Sgt. Tom Shaw said he lost a good dog and a friend.  Shaw, who was Lars’ partner for the better part of seven years, said Lars did a lot of hard work over his career as a police dog.  “When it’s time to go to work, you just let the dogs do their thing,” Shaw said of his German Shepard. “He was the real hero. ... He had that motivation and drive. They’re working dogs.”
The Republican caught up with Shaw for a few questions about his dog.

Q What did Lars do as a police dog?
A He was duel purpose; he was a handler protector and a patrol dog. He found narcotics and articles, he did tracking, building searches, open air searches,
vehicle searches. Basically people, drugs and evidence. We probably averaged about one really decent call a month. It all depends on how much you want to put your dog out there. There’s plenty of stuff to find if you want to be active with him, so we tried to average one call per week, minimum.

Q What are some notable cases he was on?
A We had a track where a lady wondered away from her car and hit her head. I don’t know if she would have been found but it didn’t look to good before we found her. That was kind of a life-saving event. We were involved in that Halloween shooting in Fox Run back in 2003. ... (A man) took shots through the door at some trick-or-treaters out of his apartment. He became a barricaded subject. The SWAT team was out. Lars and I were called out. He took at shot at Lars and one of the officers outside of the apartment. He eventually did surrender through hostage negotiation but that was easily our most intense call as far as coming under gun-fire. ... Those are in the
memory books for me as far as having the greatest challenge and being able to tackle that challenge.

Q Did you have Lars at home too?
A I think with pretty much any parole dog ... in the Tri-state area, the dogs are assigned to the handler. He goes home with you, he takes vacations with you. When you’re off, they’re off.

Q What kind of dog was he outside of work?

A He was a social police dog, so he was good with my kids and other kids. He went to my kids’ preschool and some of the presentations and all the National Nights Out we had before. It was a good barrier to bridge that relationship with the public. ... There’s a lot of dog lovers out there. He was not a highly aggressive, unapproachable dog. He was a good boy.

Lars, a former St. Charles Police K-9, passed away a few weeks ago. Lars was partnered with Sgt. Tom Shaw. ST. CHARLES – The bond St. Charles Police Sgt. Tom Shaw had with his partner, a German shepherd named Lars, is difficult for Shaw to explain.  The K-9 team was virtually inseparable during their seven years working together. Lars, who lived with Shaw and was kenneled only four days during that time, would follow Shaw practically anywhere, the sergeant said.  “Barring going out to dinner, we were probably within five feet of each other 24 hours a day,” Shaw said. “That’s why the bond is so strong.”  Lars continued to live with Shaw after retiring from active duty in 2008 when he was about 9 years old. He died this month, Shaw said.  “It was time for him,” he said. “He was in a lot of pain.”  A plaque made in Lars’ honor will be hung in the front lobby of the police department, spokesperson Paul McCurtain said. He noted it will accompany the plaque for the department’s first police dog, Ike, who served from 1994 to 2002.  “They’re more or less a member of the police department,” McCurtain said. “They’re well respected, and people here are very affectionate toward the animals. They’ve helped us out in so many ways.”  K-9 teams assist with traffic stops, building searches, drug searches and help find evidence and missing people. Lars also participated in National Night Out events, attended presentations at schools and served as an ambassador for the police department, Shaw said.  McCurtain noted that Lars also protected his partner.
“If anyone tried to do anything to Sgt. Shaw when Lars was around, he would always protect him,” he said.
K-9 teams bond during preliminary training and continue their training weekly with other area K-9 units to maintain their certification, police said. Shaw said the certification is important so that courts know the dog’s work, which can be admissible in court testimony, is reliable.  Police dogs retire when their skills begin deteriorating, Shaw said.
“The consequences are pretty severe for having an off day,” he said, explaining a mistake could affect someone’s safety or freedom.  Shaw said seven years is a great career, as some dogs only work three years. He is most proud of the lessons and experiences he and Lars brought to the department after learning them in the K-9 classes, he said.  The city’s K-9 program continues with Aries and Officer Nic Anson. Shaw said Gateway Veterinary Clinic in St. Charles also deserves recognition for donations toward the program.
“Without their assistance, this program probably wouldn’t be as successful,” he said.
LARS’ PARTNER FOR.. Seven years
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
May 6, 2011

Handler: Constable Don Fleming
Ontario Provincial Police


Remembering Luger

Recognized for his years of service, at his retirement ceremony in 2008 Luger received a special OPP medal, a plaque and his personal favourite, a large dog bone.

Luger never carried handcuffs during his nine years on the job, but he was as serious a defender of the law as any other officer within the Ontario Provincial Police.  An energetic German Shepherd with a warm spot for children, Luger was paired with Constable Don Fleming from 1999 to 2010. Together, the duo became well known at community events and visits to local elementary schools. It is estimated that 50,000 people watched their canine demonstrations over the course of a decade.
One year they even took a dip together at the Orillia Winter Carnival Polar Bear Dip. Luger died May 6 at the age of 13.5 years, a much-loved member of the Fleming family. Fleming said he is going to miss his devoted, courageous and playful partner. “There wasn’t a single day when I took him out and he wasn’t excited about doing his job,” said Fleming. “He was just an amazing dog.” Obedience was always a challenge, as Luger would get so excited about working he’d lose focus. “When people were around he would do everything at high speed,” said his handler.
Mentally alert until his final days, Luger had developed weakness in his hind legs in his final years and was unable to walk in the end. That left Fleming with the heartbreaking decision to put his ‘buddy’ to sleep. During their working career Fleming and Luger were responsible for the apprehension of more than 245 suspects and they assisted in about 300 drug seizures.  They also located 248 missing people. Luger’s reward for doing a good job was playing with his ‘Kong’, a rubber toy Fleming would carry with him. “Luger would do anything for that Kong and he’d chase it for miles. He had that toy from the time he was a pup and never let go of it,” said Fleming.
The bond between officer and dog was immediate from the moment the puppy arrived in Ontario from a kennel in Saskatoon. “There were nine dogs there in total and I got to play with all of them, and Luger and I just hit it off right away. I threw a ball to him and he just came right to me,” remembers Fleming. Luger was a quick learner, displaying his canine skills and apprehending his first suspect within 45 minutes of graduating from his training program. “There we were out on our first tracking assignment the same day, in the middle of a blizzard,” said Fleming.
Luger completed his OPP career in July 2008, still at the top of his game until his final ‘official’ day on the job. It didn’t end up being his last day tracking, as he and Fleming would team up occasionally for another two years until 2010. “It was actually after he retired that he did some of his best work. He tracked one guy 13 kilometres right by my house,” said Fleming. Recognized for his years of service, at his retirement ceremony in 2008 Luger received a special OPP medal, a plaque and his personal favourite, a large dog bone. In 2008, Fleming was teamed with his current OPP canine partner Tyler, with Luger continuing to live with Fleming and his family.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

27th December 1998 - 6th February 2011

Handler:  Christine Anderson

Tracking Champion Damauren Lyrical Appeal AZ Breed Survey Class 1. Call name Leada died 6th February 2011, aged 13 years.
One of the most famous German Shepherd Dogs in Australia she worked many years as a Therapy Dog at Calvary Hospital, Kogarah in palliative care. She was known as Leada Of Calvary and had a strong media following in her hey day. 
There are many wonderful, funny stories about this K9. She once took a breathalyzer from a Police Officer, causing much laughter
 at the time.   
Leada was the mother of K9s Titan and Carts who became the first two Police Dogs in NSW killed by offenders.
A new Law: Titan's Law, was established after the public outcry surrounding Titan's death. 
Leada was a great favourite each Christmas Eve pulling a sleigh with gifts for local children and leading up to Christmas,
would visit sick children and deliver gifts to them "personally". 
As a fund raiser she excelled, raising money for Guide Dogs and Calvary Hospital.  Until just a few months before her death,
 Leada still did tricks to her audiences. 
She died where she loved to rest, in the doorway next to her "mum's" desk.  Her humans, Graham and Christine and
her vet, Dr Bo Bjorkland, were with her when she died. Bo was one of her greatest fans. 
A K9 Memorial is to be built in Emmett Park, Tahmoor, NSW in honour of her sons, Titan and Carts.
submitted by Cristine Anderson