Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.
Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

In Loving Memory of

Handler: Ofc. Joey Shirley
Norfolk Southern Police Department
Norfolk Southern, GA

Partners show their skills in K9 competition

They stood perfectly still, surveying the landscape and their competition. Everything they had worked for was on the line, and they were prepared. Norfolk Southern special agent Joe Shirley, Atlanta, and his K9 partner Muis, a 4-year-old Belgian Malinois, had worked hard for this day. They had worked as partners for two years and had trained for this particular day for more than a month. Shirley and Muis were one of two NS teams to compete in the 2006 Railroad Police K9 Nationals in Allen, Texas. Special agent Jeffrey Mason and his K9 partner Rocco also participated. In all, 13 railroad teams participated from across the nation. Shirley and Muis placed second in the obedience competition. Shirley said Muis is a "dual purpose dog," which means he works to detect explosives and also accompanies Shirley on routine patrol. Muis is trained to detect 10 basic odors of explosives. On his routine patrols with Shirley, he is trained to track people, search for articles, detain and apprehend suspects and protect police officers. Training for the partners extends beyond an initial 10-week class in California. "I try to do some type of training every day," Shirley said. "The time we put in is our own, and the job is very rewarding. Any K9 handler will tell you that it is a career within a career." In addition to working with Shirley on the job, Muis is part of his personal life. The dogs live with their police partners. "Muis is part of my family and is a great partner. In fact, sometimes I’m with him more than my family," Shirley said. Shirley and Muis trained for more than a month for the national competition, perfecting their technique. The dogs competed in two events: obedience and aggression work. Obedience work included "heel" and "down" commands and time stayed when obeying those commands. Aggression work included a simulated criminal attack in which dogs were measured on bites, officer protection and recalls. Other factors measured were the amount of control an officer had over the dog, the dog’s alertness, and its willingness to work. Although the competition enhances training, everyday tasks are most important. "We train for actual incidents that we may run into," Shirley said. "The way our K9s perform on the street is what makes a true police K9. Muis is a very loving dog. He is great around kids and loves to play. He is playful at home, but when it comes time to work, he is all business and can be very intimidating.  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
April 14, 2009
Handler:  Officer Gary Knight
Umatilla Police Department

It is with sadness that I learned of the passing of K-9 Moose last night.  We will honor Moose’s dedication and passion for catching the criminals by wearing our mourning bands effective immediately through April 27th.  This time frame is consistent with honoring the passing of fellow officers of this department.  Gary will be in to talk with us today and will advise you of specifics regarding any memorial as information becomes available.  Please take time to share with Gary your thoughts and let him know how much we appreciated Moose’s service and how we are also mourning his loss.
submitted by  captured .jpg photos with the help of Frank Brunetti

In Loving Memory of
December 7, 2001-July 18, 2009

Handler: Chief Phillip Ferguson  

Town of Duck Police Department
1259 Duck Rd.
Duck, NC  27949
PH:252 473.3444

Town's Beloved Tracking Hound Passes Away

Bloodhound Officer Morse with Police Chief Phillip Ferguson before the Independence Day Parade on July 3.

The town of Duck's beloved bloodhound "Morse" has passed away. The tracking dog had been a part of the Duck police force since 2003.  The Town of Duck and Police Chief Phillip Ferguson announce with extreme sadness the passing of the Town’s beloved tracking Bloodhound Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Morse on Saturday, July 18, 2009. Morse was born on December 7, 2001 and became part of the Ferguson family in April of 2002 when he was named DCI Morse of Stirling Bridge. His name was two-fold, having been named after Colin Dexter’s Fictional Detective Chief Inspector Morse followed by the Ferguson kennel name, Stirling Bridge.
He was also a registered Bloodhound with the American Kennel Club. Officer Morse joined the Duck Police Department on April 1, 2003, along with Chief Ferguson as part of the original formation of the department. Office Morse quickly became a favorite of both residents and visitors alike as he was frequently seen around Town accompanying Chief Ferguson. Each December, Morse and Ferguson attended the National Police Bloodhound Association Winter Training in York, South Carolina to keep up on the latest tracking techniques.
Although, fortunately, Morse never needed to use his skills on a missing person case in the Town of Duck, he was ready to be called upon as his training required. Additionally, Morse was an annual participant in the Town’s 4th of July Parade, frequented Children’s Story Time at the Town Park in the summer, loved “Yappy Hour” at Outer Barks, and took frequent walks throughout Town and the park. He also loved Milkbones, turkey at Thanksgiving, getting sprayed by the garden hose, and of course all the hugs and kisses he received while out and about throughout the Town of Duck. Morse will be greatly missed by The Town of Duck’s residents, visitors, and staff. He is survived by his parents, Chief Phillip and Sandy Ferguson, and sister Piper.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA (
(member of the National Association of Bloodhounds, which Cape May County is also associated  ...   I am from C.M. County , NJ.. lulu Krause)

NC town loses beloved tracking dog   

 With great sadness, the Town of Duck and Police Chief Phillip Ferguson announced the passing of the town's beloved tracking bloodhound. Detective Chief Inspector (DCI) Morse died from Bloat , an abnormal accumulation of air, fluid and/or foam in the stomach. Bloat is frequently reported in deep chested dogs, such as bloodhounds. Morse was 7 years old.
Morse became part of the Ferguson family in April of 2002. It was then that he was named DCI Morse of Stirling Bridge - named after Colin Dexter's Fictional Detective Chief Inspector Morse followed by the Ferguson kennel name, Stirling Bridge. He was also a registered Bloodhound with the American Kennel Club.  Officer Morse joined the Duck Police Department on April 1, 2003, along with Chief Ferguson. Officer Morse quickly became a favorite of both residents and visitors alike, as he was frequently seen around Town accompanying Chief Ferguson.  To keep up with the latest tracking techniques, each year Morse and Ferguson attended the National Police Bloodhound Association Winter Training in York, South Carolina. Morse never needed to use his skills on any missing person case in the Town of Duck, but Chief Ferguson says he was ready to be called upon as his training required. 
Morse was an annual participant in the Town's 4th of July Parade, frequented Children's Story Time at the Town Park, loved "Yappy Hour" at Outer Barks, and took frequent walks. He also loved Milkbones, turkey at Thanksgiving, getting sprayed by the garden hose, and of course all the hugs and kisses he received while out and about in the Town of Duck.   Morse will be greatly missed by The Town of Duck's residents, visitors, and staff. He is survived by his parents, Chief Phillip and Sandy Ferguson, and sister Piper.

In Loving Memory of
July 12, 2009

Officer William Bailey
Dracut Police Department

110 Loon Hill Road
Dracut, MA 01826


Partner laments the loss of Mason, Dracut's police dog
Dracut's police dog, Mason, died Sunday, from what is believed to have been a coronary problem.

Officer William Bailey knew Saturday night that something was wrong with his partner. "He was lethargic," Bailey said. "He was trying to play with the kids, but he wasn't himself." On Sunday morning, Mason, a 4-year-old scent-discriminating German shepherd that joined the Dracut police force in 2006, was having trouble breathing and walking. Bailey called Wignall Animal Hospital in Dracut and reached an attendant just after 8 a.m., an hour before the hospital opened. Kate Thomas, one of the veterinarians, got in touch with Bailey, saying she was on her way to the hospital and instructed Bailey to meet her there.
But Mason died en route. Initial indications point to a coronary problem. Bailey said nobody is sure what caused his partner's death. "It's devastating," Bailey said yesterday. "It just hurts so much. You just couldn't find a more loyal partner. The one thing they always say about K-9 partners is that they won't lie to you and they won't lie about you." Mason, who was rescued from Hurricane Katrina as a puppy, came to Dracut as part of an $8,000 grant from the Mason Foundation, which paid for the dog and all of his food. Wignall Animal Hospital provided free health care for the dog.
Controversy surrounded Mason's arrival, though, as selectmen were split on whether the dog would take an officer away from Dracut if the dog was needed in another community. As a member of the Northeastern Massachusetts Law Enforcement Council, Mason was often called upon to provide mutual aid to neighboring communities. When a 9-year-old girl was missing in Lowell's Centralville section last summer, Mason tracked her down. In February 2008, moments after a bank was robbed on Bridge Street in Lowell, Mason tracked a suspect through a neighborhood and pointed out the exact spot where the suspect got into a car and fled. Witnesses were able to identify the vehicle, and the robber was caught.
Mason's first case came just four days after he arrived in Dracut. An 82-year-old female Alzheimer's patient had wandered away from her home on Primrose Hill Road. Mason was able to track her path after picking up her scent from a pillow. "He's had some huge successes," Bailey said. "He's assisted in homicide investigations. He found 44 bags of marijuana. He's found cocaine. He's been great. Just loved to work." In fact, the dog would get excited whenever he saw Bailey getting into his uniform.

"I would be putting my boots on, and Mason would start getting revved up," Bailey recalled. "It was like, if you said 'work,' he heard 'play.'" "He was one of us," Deputy Police Chief David Chartrand said. "He was an extremely valuable resource. He was a great asset and a great dog. It's very sad that he will no longer be with us." Mason is the third local police dog to die in the past year. On July 12, 2008, exactly one year before Mason died, Andy, a 4-year-old German shepherd with the Chelmsford Police Department, died of in intestinal-tract infection believed to have been contracted while tracking a suspect through a swamp. And on Jan. 21, Billerica's police dog, Annabelle, a 4-year-old bloodhound, was euthanized after suffering from an undetermined gastrointestinal illness. Chartrand said it is too soon to say if Mason will be replaced. Bailey said he does not think he could be another dog's partner. "This is just so hard, and I don't think I'd want to do it again," he said. "You get so attached. It's going to be so different not being with him all the time."
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
June 12, 2009

Handler: Sgt. Mark Storey
Coweta County Sheriff's Office
560 Greison Trail
Newnan, GA 30263
(770) 253-1502 - (770)301-9573
(770) 254-1043 fax

Police dog Minka dies 
On Friday, retired police dog, beloved friend and faithful partner "Minka" went 10-42, or "out of service," for her final time when she died peacefully of old age. Minka lived with her law enforcement partner, Sgt. Mark Storey, a K-9 instructor with the Coweta County Sheriff's Office. She worked for Sheriff Mike Yeager from 2000 to 2007 before retiring to a slower-paced home life. During her time on the force, Minka assisted in one of the largest cocaine busts in the county's history, which netted 65 kilos. The K-9 officer also participated in numerous educational demonstrations for the school system and general public. Minka was 13 years old and "had a long and wonderful life." "She was loved and will be missed," said Storey. submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA
waiting for photo of MINKA

In Loving Memory of
May 28, 2009

Handler: Sgt. Kevin Yarborough
Hogansville Police Department

117 Lincoln St
Hogansville, GA 30230
(706) 637-6648

K9 dog dies, is buried behind police station  
by-Jennifer Shrader Staff writer
jshrader@ or (706) 884-7311, Ext. 236.

Hogansville police officers are in mourning for Milo, the department’s K9 dog that died a week ago.  The Belgian malinois, 7, had been ill in recent days and was on medication. Milo’s handler, Sgt. Kevin Yarborough reported the dog was lethargic the morning of May 28 at the police department. When Yarborough got in his vehicle to go on a call, he found the dog unresponsive.
Yarborough and assistant chief John Pearson wrapped the dog in a department shirt and buried him behind the department building on Lincoln Street. There was no necropsy in order to spare the city the expense, Pearson said.
“He will always be a part of the police department,” said Pearson, who still tears up when talking about the dog. “It’s not easy to bury part of the department.”  Milo, a gift from the state Bureau of Prisons, had been with the department more than a year.
Pearson and Chief Moses Ector say not only are Yarborough and members of the department broken up with the loss of Milo, Yarborough’s two children miss the dog as well. Pearson and Ector are looking at getting a marker for Milo’s grave. They are also looking into getting another K9 dog - soon - for Yarborough.  Hogansville has another K9 dog, Danny, who recently was recertified as a drug-sniffing dog, Ector said.  The department’s first drug dog, Bella, was forced into retirement more than a year ago after surgery.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA and Jennifer Shrader for photo.

In Loving Memory of
March 4, 2009

Handler: Sgt. Bart Sims
Camden County Sheriff's Department

1 Court Circle, Suite 13.
MO 65020
 Ph: 573-346-2243

CAMDEN COUNTY -- The Camden County Sheriff's Department held a memorial for a fallen member of it's department yesterday.
Sheriff Dwight Franklin says patrol K-9 Muk passed away March 4 after a lengthy battle with cancer.
Muk worked with Sgt. Bart Sims for the last seven years. The sheriff says Muk was responsible for numerous drug seizures,
 apprehensions and search and rescue work. Sheriff Franklin says Muk was a great example of how important K-9 units can be for law enforcement agencies.

In Loving Memory of
February 9, 2009
9/11/01 SAR

Handler: Capt. Mark Bogush
Tampa Fire Rescue

Tampa - A Florida Search and Rescue dog that scoured the ruins of the World Trade Center, hurricane-ravaged communities and other lower-profile disasters has died.  Marley, of Tampa Fire Rescue was 12 when she died Wednesday. Besides sniffing for survivors after the September 11th attacks, Marley also was active in efforts after Hurricanes Charley and Katrina.
The dog suddenly came down with canine bloat and had to be euthanized.  Capt. Mark Bogush, who trained the dog,
said surgery would only have worsened her quality of life.  
submitted by Bobby E.Earls-2009 , Highway Patrol Aux. FL.


TAMPA - During her nine-year career as a search and rescue dog, Marley crawled through the ruins of the World Trade Center Towers and sniffed around the destruction wrought by eight hurricanes.  No matter how apocalyptic the scene looked, the raven-haired Labrador approached each mission with a nose that never quit and a singular focus: Find survivors, said Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Mark Bogush, her owner and trainer. In the years they worked as a team, Marley never left Bogush's side. On Wednesday, when her stomach became twisted and distended from a condition known as canine bloat, Bogush never left hers. As the 12-year-old Marley lay on a table at an animal hospital, veterinarians told her 46-year-old owner emergency surgery would give her a 50-50 chance of living. Even with post-operative long-term care, there was a 75 percent chance the bloat would return. "So I knew what the answer was," Bogush said. "I got 12 excellent years from Marley. The best thing for her was to go to that little puppy palace in the sky." As a trainer of search and rescue dogs, Bogush said he spent years steeling himself for the possibility Marley would suffer a fatal injury in a disaster area. But the decision to euthanize Marley was almost too painful to bear. Painkillers had numbed her, but Bogush stroked her fur for extra comfort as the end came. "It tore your heart out," he said. "I'm sure I was blabbering at the time. It was hard to see her through the tears." Tampa Fire Rescue Capt. Bill Wade said Marley was considered "just like one of the firefighters. She loved us and appreciated us as much as we loved her." Marley retired a few years ago and was just a happy-go-lucky dog "with a big fluffy pillow in the house," Bogush said. She had hip problems and arthritis. Marley also had hearing loss.Bogush recalled the first time he saw her, when she was a 6-month-old puppy.The was gorgeous. Pitch black. Shiny. Just a beautiful, beautiful animal."  A friend asked Bogush at a party if he wanted a dog because the young black Lab was "tearing up" his friend's house. The friend had a newborn baby and didn't have the time or patience to train Marley. When Bogush saw Marley practically dragging his friend's wife while she tried to walk her, the fire rescue captain knew he had found a quality needed in all search and rescue dog high energy. Bogush had just joined Tampa Fire Rescue's first urban search and rescue team. Another dog, Jessie, was being trained by Lt. Roger Picard. Bogush had no idea if Marley would develop the skills to join Jessie. He eased her into the training by first taking a favorite toy and tossing it into thick brush."If she doesn't quit, that's a good search dog," Bogush said. "She searched and searched until she found that goofy little toy. She was a lucky find." The next step was to have another person hold the toy and go hide. Soon, Marley treated search and rescue like a game of hide-and-seek. Searching amidst the rubble of the World Trade Center, Marley was motivated by the idea that if she found trapped people, they would "pop up and play with her," Bogush said. Marley did not find a single survivor during her career. But her tenacity and great nose saved other firefighters precious time and energy, Bogush said. Within minutes, Marley would know if people were trapped. It's a mission that would take fire crews hours.Bogush has decided not to train another search and rescue dog.  "It's a younger man's game," he said. "It's a lot of work, a lot of responsibility." Tampa Fire Rescue has five search and rescue dogs working as first responders and another five working on certification. Marley will always be remembered as a pioneer, a people-friendly dog who licked children's faces in pediatric care units and, even in retirement, kept sniffing for snacks or treats. "As soon as you open up a bag of chips, she would smell it," Bogush said. "The nose was her biggest quirk. That nose never stopped working."
Reporter Ray Reyes can be reached at or (813) 259-7920.

In Loving Memory of
January 25, 2009

Avon & Somerset Police Departments

Sniffer dog’s death blamed on coke habit      Max died of nasal cancer after sniffing coke
A crime-fighting sniffer dog who helped put scores of drug offenders behind bars has died of nasal cancer which may have been caused by his police work. Heroic Springer spaniel Max is believed to be Britain's first known victim of canine cocaine-induced cancer. Seven years of sniffing out class A drugs contributed to his death, his vet and police handler fear. 'It is ironic that the wonderful organ that made him successful in his work has been his demise,' said Insp Anne Higgins. 'Up until a couple of weeks ago he seemed fine and was doing really well but it was an aggressive tumour. 'I took him into the station, which he usually loved and it was his favourite place but that day he did not show any reaction to being there and we knew then he was not right. He was a fighter until the end and always very dignified.' Max was put down at Tiverton police station, in Devon, on Sunday. 'It was very hard but we had to do it,' said Insp Higgins. Kate Fairclough, who was Max's vet since 2006, said: 'Sniffing drugs could well have been a factor – I certainly cannot rule it out. 'Nose cancer in dogs is not all that common only about one to two per cent of all cancers in dogs affect the nose. He was a lovely dog.' Max was forced to retire from Avon and Somerset Police last November after suffering a hip complaint. But his running days were far from over after he was fitted with a chariot-style set of wheels to get around on.  
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
January 21, 2009

Handler: Patrolman Shane Rogers
Forrest City Police Department

225 N Rosser St
Forrest City, AR 72335
(870) 633-3434

Police department mourns loss of its drug-sniffing dog

The U.S. Flag at the Forrest City Police Department is being flown at half staff today over the loss of Marco, a drug-sniffing and tracking dog who had been with the department since 2001. Marco had to be put down Wednesday, after he was struck and seriously injured by a vehicle outside his handler’s home on Arkansas' Highway #284. Marco, a Belgian Malinois, was trained to find drugs and to track. He was assigned to Patrolman Shane Rogers. “We have lost a valuable member of this department,” said Police Chief Dwight Duch.

“Marco has been a true asset to the department with his talents. He assisted the Criminal Investigation Division in drug raids, sniffing out hidden narcotics in houses and cars. His tracking skills were excellent.” In 2007, Marco tracked suspects in home invasions in the Wolfe Street area and arrests were made. He also tracked burglars in the Edgewood area in 2007, again resulting in arrests. Rogers and Marco made several trips to groups showing some of Marco’s talents. “He was a good working dog and was gentle enough for hundreds of kids to come up and pet him. He will truly be missed,” said Duch. Duch said the department intends to look into getting another dog.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir.CPWDA           (requested photo)

In Loving Memory of
January 11, 2009

Handler:  Sgt. Steve Roux
Rice Lake Police Department

34 S Wilson Ave
Rice Lake, WI 54868
(715) 234-1500

Rice Lake police dog dies unexpectedly
The Rice Lake Police Department's canine officer, Morgon, died Sunday, Jan. 11 of natural causes. Morgon, a 7-year old male German shepherd, has been on the job with Sgt. Steve Roux since the summer of 2003.  Rice Lake Police Chief John Sommerfeld told the City Council on Tuesday, Jan. 13 that Morgon suddenly became ill early Sunday morning, collapsed, and died shortly thereafter. He said a preliminary autopsy indicated the dog died of a heart condition. "Steve and Morgon, almost right out of the gate, were very successful," said Sommerfeld, who noted that the team won several national awards while competing against K-9 units from far larger cities.
Morgon was used regularly for building reconnaissance, search warrants, drug detection and community relations, said Sommerfeld. He said the loss is especially difficult because Morgon was Roux's professional partner and part of his family. Morgon and Roux trained with Wisconsin Bad Dogs, a group of officers and service dogs from Ashland, Barron, Polk, Rusk and Washburn counties and the Birchwood Police Department. Morgon had performed many demonstrations with Roux for schools and community events.
A local police department loses its canine. Morgon died suddenly earlier this month. He was a member of the Rice Lake Police Department for 5 years. Morgon helped out with all kinds of investigations but was best at searching for drugs. He also won a number of national awards. A special plaque is being made to remember Morgon and will be displayed at the police station. The department is now working on funding for a new dog.    submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA