Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

In Loving Memory of
January 13, 2003 - August 8, 2008

Handler:  Shannon Blackwell

TRUSAR Level 2/3 Airscent Certification, AKC CGC,
 Canine SARTECH III Area Search certification

In Loving Memory of
(aka Stormy)
21 June 2008

Handler: P.C.212 Paul Kemp
Jersey C.I.
States of Jersey Police in the Channel Islands

Sorry to inform that Storm passed away on 21st of June 2008. He retired in October 2006
 and lived happily with me until his passing from stomach cancer. I miss him terribly.
Storm was a recue dog from the South of England in 2001, bought by the States of Jersey Police in the Channel Islands and trained in Hampshire, England with Handler P.C.212 Paul Kemp. I fell in love with Storm from the day we met, he was a day late as the boat was cancelled due to a "Storm", and after several days together we went on our 10 week initial course. I was a new handler and struggled at first but fortunately I had Storm, who was so easier to work with and flew through all the training, dragging me with him! A novices dog but who turned out to be a brilliant Police Dog for our force with many good arrests. I never knew Storms real age but in October 2006 he retired as he was clearly ready to settle down. He was very much loved by my family and we had the pleasure of caring for him until the fateful day of June 21st 2008 when he struggled to get up from his bed. Storm had been unwell for several months and his back legs were not good anymore, we knew he had problems but were told he had a swollen prostrate. Sadly it transpired it was cancer. I knew that it was time but was obviously devastated. I had to take Storm to the vets for the final time and lay with him in my arms one last time as the vet released him from any suffering. I spent an hour holding him before I could let go. His ashes rest in my home and give me some comfort. I always believed Storm was like my soul mate, my best friend and he got me through some really rocky times outside of work. I have to believe this was not goodbye but merely see you later, otherwise I wouldn't sleep at night. To me there will never be a finer dog or friend, he was part of my family as well as my work partner and both parts of my life were so much better because of him. Being a dog handler truly is the best job in the world if you have a dog like Storm. 

In Loving Memory of
January 2008

Handler: Officer Kedrick Sadler
3855 Mission Ave
Oceanside, CA 92058
(760) 435-4900

  • Oceanside Police Department
  • Attention: Lt. Fred Armijo
  • 3855 Mission Avenue
  • Oceanside, CA 92054

Memorial Service Held for Fallen San Diego K-9- SAN DIEGO --
An emotional service was held Monday at Camp Pendleton, where SoCal police dogs and their handlers gathered to say goodbye to
Stryker, an Oceanside police dog killed in the line of duty. Many of the people who turned out support the Oceanside Police Department, while others were simply animal lovers who came out to pay their respects. Stryker, a 6-year-old Belgian malinois, had been with the force for five years and had several different handlers. The last person he was paired with was Officer Kedrick Sadler. He said he lost a family member when Stryker died. "I'm still hurting inside," Sadler said. "But I plan on moving on, and I'm doing the best I can without Stryker." Stryker was killed on New Year's Eve in a fall from the Coronado Bridge following a police pursuit.The man accused of leading authorities on that chase, Cory Byron, 27, of Vista, jumped from the bridge, allegedly grabbing  the dog as the K-9 attempted to take him down. Byron is charged with two felonies, reckless evading police officers and cruelty to animals, in connection with the death of Stryker. He also is charged with driving under the influence, according to prosecutors. Byron is being held on $1 million bail. Stryker died on impact, following the 200-foot fall. Byron survived, suffering a collapsed lung. Oceanside police have established a fund they said will be used to support the K-9 program, in Stryker's honor. Anyone wishing to contribute can simply send a check made payable to the City of Oceanside with "K-9 Fund" referenced in the memo section. The donations can also be brought to the police department. The mailing address is above.

Oceanside Police Officer Kedrick Sadler delivers a tearful speech Monday at the memorial service. At right is Stryker's former handler, Detective Brian Bruce.

Canine commemoration: K-9 units pay tribute to Stryker, fallen Oceanside police dog: PAUL SISSON - Staff Writer

CAMP PENDLETON -- A funeral service for Stryker, the Oceanside police dog who died after falling from the Coronado Bay Bridge on New Year's Eve, drew about 100 police dogs and their handlers to North County from throughout Southern California on Monday.
 View A Video
Oceanside Police Officer Kedrick Sadler, speaking publicly for the first time since the dog was killed, thanked his canine partner for his loyalty, discipline and bravery on the bridge that night. "The only thing I regret is that I was not there to comfort you in your final moments and tell you that you did a good job," Sadler said. "You made me a better handler, and, more importantly, a better person."  K-9 units from throughout Southern California came to pay their respects to the 6-year-old Belgian Malinois. The service was held at Camp Pendleton's 11 Area Parade Grounds and all sectors of law enforcement -- from city police departments to U.S. Customs and Immigration -- were represented, filling a large parking lot just off Vandegrift Boulevard. In a show of solidarity, Inland Empire K-9 units from cities such as Fontana and Rialto stood beside units from South Bay cities such as Chula Vista and National City. Pendleton's military police detachment sent its law enforcement dogs, as did the state corrections service.
Officer Mike McCarthy of the Santa Ana Police Department came to the funeral with Chris, one of two dogs his agency sent to the funeral. "It's kind of a small world we live in," McCarthy said. "Coming down was the least we could do." Caprice Kirkpatrick, another K-9 officer from Santa Ana, said it was important to her that a police dog be recognized for making the most supreme of sacrifices. "The police canines don't get enough credit for what they're doing out there every day. There is no doubt that they save the lives," Kirkpatrick said. Stryker was killed during an incident that began at about 6:45 p.m. on Dec. 31, when Oceanside police attempted to stop a GMC pickup on College Boulevard in Oceanside. Rather than pulling over, the vehicle's driver led police on a 47-mile chase west on Highway 76 then south on I-5. The driver, later identified as Cory Nathaniel Byron of Vista, eventually stopped and exited his vehicle halfway across the Coronado Bay Bridge. According to an official account by the Oceanside Police Department, Sadler released Stryker, who bit the suspect's arm and wrestled him to the ground. Byron then flung himself from the bridge at about 7:25 p.m. with Stryker still attached. Byron survived the fall with a collapsed lung. At Stryker's funeral on Monday, Oceanside Chief of Police Frank McCoy recounted the dog's accomplishments with the Oceanside police department. McCoy said Stryker performed 1,300 searches of buildings, vehicles or properties and apprehended 60 suspects, 34 without having to use his teeth. Stryker is also credited with sniffing out 11 fleeing suspects by following their scent trail. Sadler sometimes succumbed to tears as he explained what he said a member of the public might not understand: that a police dog is a partner, not a pet or a piece of equipment. Sadler said Stryker, and all other law enforcement canines, are sworn officers with their own badges. The dogs back up the officers they serve with, using their senses of smell, hearing and sight to compliment the abilities of their human partners. Sadler said he believed that Stryker's death saved a police officer's life that night on the bridge. "You died doing what you do best, that was getting the bad guy," Sadler said.

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
December 17, 2008

Handler: PFC Michael Richardson
Ocean City Police Department

6501 Coastal Hwy
Ocean City, Maryland 21842

OCEAN CITY: OCPD mourns death of recently retired K-9

The Ocean City Police Department is mourning the loss of a recently retired member of the Patrol/Narcotics Division, K-9 Semper.  Semper, who retired from the OCPD in late September after nearly seven years of dedicated service, died on December 17, 2008, succumbing quickly to kidney failure. Semper came to the Ocean City Police Department in February 2002 from the Czech Republic, at which time he became a loyal and courageous partner to PFC Michael Richardson.  Semper spent over one thousand devoted hours in training and assisted in the detection of drugs in over 250 incidents.  Perhaps one of his most significant discoveries involved the confiscation of a more than a kilogram and a half of cocaine.  “Semper was by far one of the best drug dogs we have ever had in this department,” commented PFC Richardson.  “I am not saying that because he was my partner.  He just loved to find drugs.”  Semper also assisted the United States Custom’s in the Port of Baltimore, by searching large cargo-ships for contraband and illegal substances.  In addition to his Patrol/Narcotic duties, Semper also assisted in several high risk warrant arrests and was actively involved in supporting other law enforcement agencies on Eastern Shore during drug seizures.  He often assisted in crowd control situations and has had a significant number of physical apprehensions involving violent suspects.  When Semper was not working on the road, he often participated in demonstrations for local schools, summer camps and the Ocean City community.  He enjoyed being involved in the Town of Ocean City’s Bonfire’s on the Beach and July 4  Jamboree.  Semper’s love for his job and his commitment to his community will be remembered by many.  His hard work and his loyalty to his colleagues and citizens will be cherished forever.
 submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
September 30, 2008

Officer Mark Jaeger
Wausau Police Department
515 Grand Avenue
Wausau WI 54403
TEL 715-261-7800

Memorial Service Held For Wausau Police Dog
Police officers from through out North central Wisconsin came to honor retired Wausau Police Officer named Sander. Sander's Memorial Service was held Monday at Peaceful Pines Pet Memorials in Mosinee. His handler Officer Mark Jaeger says the 13 year old Dutch Sheppard was having hip problems, when doctors found a tumor on his spine and he had to be put down.  Officer Jaeger says Sander retired from the police department in 2005, after serving 8 1/2 years.  He describes his partner as a unique dog with an excellent work ethic. Officer Jaeger says Sander lived with him and his family making him more than a partner but also a pet. Officer Jaeger will continue with the Wausau Police Department's K-9 Unit. He says the police department assigned him a new partner named K9 Pluto.            
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA 
Posted: 7:49 AM Sep 30, 2008 - Last Updated: 7:49 AM Sep 30, 2008also-submitted by Reporter: Margo Spann

In Loving Memory of
Thursday 18 September 2008

Handler: Victoria Stables
Grampian Police Department
Aberdeen, Scotland
TEL - 0845 600 5700
Life-saver police dog is killed
A police dog that rescued a drowning thief has died after being knocked down by a car. Senga, a German shepherd, was killed after a Vauxhall Vectra struck him on the Parkway in Bridge of Don, Aberdeen. The dog hit newspaper headlines in July after he saved burglar Glen Lyons from the strong tide of the River Don. Shocked onlookers watched as police officers and the dog swam out to apprehend the fleeing thief who had jumped into the river to evade capture. Lyons was struggling to keep his head above water until Senga swam out and dragged him to a tree stump. A police officer was able to swim out and grab him. An exhausted Lyons, 25, was then pulled to shore. In court later, Lyons's solicitor, Mike Munro, compared Senga's heroic actions to those of Lassie. He said: "A police dog – almost like something out of a TV film like Lassie – was instructed to go into the water to assist. "(Lyons] accepts now that if it were not for the assistance of the police and in particular, the police dog, he might have ended up in a very precarious position." A Grampian Police spokeswoman yesterday confirmed that the dog had been killed. She said: "He was on duty but not on a job. It's been treated as an accident, but an investigation is under way."
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

Having been in the force for nearly 7 years I became a dog handler and was given the option of 4 dogs during my selection process.  I chose Senga or was it that Senga chose me?  Anyway, we soon became close partners and loved spending time with her at home and at work.  She was full of life, always willing to please.  She took time to mature into a Police Dog but when she did, nothing phased her and we started to get some great captures, whether it be catching criminals from a Robbery, finding stolen property or helping out our fellow colleagues at football matches.
On her days off, she loved to spend time with her other dog buddies - my other 4 dogs, black Lab cross 'Bonzo', Yellow Lab 'Jodi', Chocolate Lab 'Kali' and especially the black Labrador pup, 'Bosco'.  They used to love chasing each other around the garden, but she liked her space when she was sleeping, she hated getting woken up when she was sleeping!!   Unfortunately her life was cut short due to that fateful day when she chased a deer onto the road and was tragically killed.  I miss her so much but will always be in my thoughts.  In coming to terms with her loss I wrote a poem - I hope you like it. submitted by Victoria
Senga’s Story
I was meant to be a Guide Dog, but this was not to be,
I just wanted to chase and play you see,
So, I was given a new Mum and she took me hame,
We were now partners, and a Police Dog I became.

At first I was nervous, you understand,
But I soon gained attitude and was like an ‘old hand’,
We took to the streets and gained respect,
And before long there was little we didn’t detect.

We were close, best friends some might say,
A special bond that will always stay,
Always together, night or day,
Whether it be work, rest or play.

We once went into a river to catch an escapee,
I was hailed a hero and compared to ‘Lassie’,
My Mum was so proud and called me a Star,
I was so happy and barked from afar.

I loved to chase deer,
Which was my Mum’s greatest fear,
One day, whilst on a walk, I did just that,
And that was that….

My life was cut short, but in time, Mum you will see,
The kindness and joy that you gave to me,
Move on from here, I know it’s hard to do,
After the tears, you have a job to do.
..........Victoria Stables

In Loving Memory of
September 4, 2008

  Handler: Sergeant Terry John 
Terre Haute Police Department
1211 Wabash Ave.
Terre Haute, IN 47807
PH: (812)238-1661

 Tribute To K9 Officer
Terre Haute Police officers gathered Wednesday afternoon to pay tribute to one of their own. It was a bittersweet good bye as officers said good bye to K9 officer Schibes. The 9 year old German Shepherd died September 4th after 7 years of service with the department.  During those years Schibes was trained in narcotics detection, tracking and building searches. 
He and partner Sergeant Terry John made over 475 arrests and seized thousands in drugs and stolen property. Schibes retired from the department in 2006. After retiring he remained a member of Sergeant John's family: "I think bittersweet is the best way to say it," Sergeant John said. "I am dearly going to miss him and the memories we have together are what I am going to always cherish." After Schibes retired Sergeant John began working with a new K9 officer. He says Jasper is just as energetic as his old partner.
A very somber day for a local police department.
The Terre Haute Police Department held a memorial for one of its own. The ten year old retired K9 Schibes died earlier the month of September. Schibes was born in Russia and imported to the United States. He joined the force in 1999. During his years on the force Schibes was involved in 475 arrests. His partner, Terry John, says Schibes saved his life and will never be forgotten. Officer Terry John tells News 10, "I'm really honored that Chief Plasse, Chief Eldred and Chief Keen are going through all the trouble. All three of them going honor guard and helping celebrate it. They all got to experience him and know how special he was to this department."  John and Schibes received police officers of the year in 2002. There are currently four K9 units with the Terre Haute Police Department.
Former patrolman and K-9 handler Terry John has been promoted to the rank of sergeant on the Terre Haute Police Department. John, whom fellow officers named Officer of the Year in 2003 along with his K-9 partner Schibes, has been with the city Police Department for 14 years.  John’s son Gavin, a fifth grader at Lost Creek, presented John with his new sergeant's badge at a short ceremony at police headquarters Wednesday. “Terry has been a good officer during his time with the department and we know he'll be a good supervisor, as well,” said police Chief John Plasse. Sgt. John will be in charge of the department's K-9 unit, which presently includes three police dogs. 
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
August 29, 2008

Handler: Sergeant Chris Coffee 
Scottsdale Police Department 
9065 E Via Linda
Scottsdale, Arizona 85258

Scottsdale officer accidentally shoots, kills police dog
A Scottdale police dog was killed early Friday when his officer's gun accidentally fired, police said. Sergeant Chris Coffee was apparently searching a home near Alma School Road and Dynamite Boulevard for a possible intruder with K9 Striker. While conducting the search, police said Sergeant Coffee's weapon accidentally discharged and the bullet struck Striker, who was rushed to an emergency animal clinic. The dog did not survive. The home was cleared and found to have no one inside, according to police.
An investigation has been started into the shooting death, as would any other officer involved shooting, according to a Scottsdale Police news release. Sergeant Coffee will reportedly be on a minimum 72 hour leave, according to department policy. The news release indicates Sergeant Coffee is a 10-year veteran of the Scottsdale Police Department and that he has been with the K9 unit for 2 and a half years. Striker was a 6-year-old Czech shepard and has been with the K9 unit for four years. 
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
 & Lance Corporal Kenneth Michael Rowe

July 24, 2008

Sangin, Afghanistan
Gosforth, Newcastle

Lance Corporal Kenneth Michael Rowe, 24, from Gosforth, Newcastle was shot dead by Taliban insurgents in Afghanistan  on July 24, 2008. He had been due to fly home the day before he died, but had persuaded his superiors in the British Army to let him stay because he feared a shortage of dog handlers would put his comrades at increased risk of roadside bombs. Rowe had been on a routine patrol with his explosives sniffer-dog Sasha from their base at FOB Inkerman in the Sangin area of Helmand when they came under enemy fire. Both Rowe and K9 Sasha, a Labrador, were killed instantly in the attack, while five other soldiers from 2nd Battalion the Parachute Regiment and one from 3rd Battalion the Parachute Regiment were injured. Rowe and his dog joined patrols searching for enemy weapons, ammunition and explosives. Rowe had joined the Army on March 7, 2005 and was sent to Afghanistan in 2008. His fatal injuries were caused by shrapnel from a rocket propelled grenade and enemy machine guns. He is survived by his parents Lyn and Kenneth and two sisters. His partner Helen Bell, 23, and daughter Hannah were among hundreds at St Bartholomew's Church in Newcastle for his funeral service. When his coffin was carried into the church, the song " More Than Words", by Extreme, was played. 
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
August 1, 2008
Handler: Officer Robert Hart
Modesto Police Department
600 Tenth St
Modesto, California 95354
Phone: (209)572-9500

Police dog dies
Modesto Police Department's 22nd Annual Best of the West Canine Competition 2004...Last year's champion Robert Hart and K9 named Syler in the obstacle course tube near the end of the course, Saturday morning. Hart/Syler had a great performance but not good enough. 

A retired Modesto police dog that made history by working patrol and drug detection died Aug. 1 from cancer, authorities announced Friday. The German shepherd, Syler, was born in Denmark in 1997 and was retired from police work in 2006. He and his handler, officer Robert Hart, helped in more than 400 incidents from various agencies, according to Lt. Ron Cloward, who supervises the Modesto police K-9 unit. Syler and Hart, in photo above, were credited with nearly 75 arrests and numerous seizures of illegal drugs. Before Syler, police canines were trained to work either patrol or drug detection, but never both, Cloward said. Remembrances can be made to the Modesto Police Canine Association in Syler's name. The group cares for police canines after they are retired from service. Donations may be sent to the association at PMB 137, 819 W. Roseburg Ave., Modesto 95350.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In loving Memory of
July 2008

No photo of K9 Cinco
Cpl. Keith Jackson - K9 Cinco
Cpl. Keith Jackson - K9 Sagas
Columbia Sheriff Office
4917 East US Highway 90
Lake City, Florida, 32055

Both handlers found them deceased in their kennels three days apart from one to the other.  After necropsy it was determined that K-9 Cinco died from heat exhaustion and K-9 Sagus from intestinal blockage "bloat".  Sgt.Tim Ball 
2 Sheriff’s Office K9’S Die Within Three days
Sagas and Cinco had six combined years of service for department
The Columbia County Sheriff’s Office had two of its K-9 unit dogs die in three days. K-9 Sagas was found dead Thursday morning in his kennel from bloat by handler Cpl. Keith Jackson. “They had a scheduled K-9 demonstration and Jackson went out to get the dog and found him in his kennel,” Columbia County Sheriff Bill Gootee said. Columbia County Sheriff’s Office dogs live in kennels built at the homes of their handlers. According to information from the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office Web site, Sagas, a German shepherd, was purchased in 2003. The dog was trained and certified as an apprehension and narcotics dog. On Sunday, K-9 Cinco was found dead by his handler Cpl. Keith Jackson from heat exhaustion. Cinco, a Belgian Travern, was the office’s newest dog in the K-9 unit. Cinco was purchased about a year ago and was trained and certified in apprehension and finding narcotics. “The death of K-9 Cinco, when it was the only death, was a tragedy. “It was treated as a crime scene,” Gootee said. “All the dog food was packaged and sent to the University of Florida for analysis to determine whether there was anything in the dog food which may have caused the deaths.” Before the death of Sagas and Cinco, the Columbia County Sheriff’s Office had six canine units, and the dogs were used for apprehension and for finding narcotics and explosives. The death of the dogs has resulted in the sheriff’s office implementing preventative measures to protect the remaining agency dogs. Gootee said the department has taken all the dogs to veterinarians, discontinued and switched brands of dog food and they are using bottled water for the dogs. “I would just like for the people to understand and know we’ve lost two valuable members of our sheriff’s office,” Gootee said. “This has been a very trying time for my officers with the loss of the dogs. We lost very valuable members of our agency, and they lost a partner.” The dogs used for canine units are certified and trained in narcotics searches, search and rescue techniques and tracking. Each dog has a badge and is considered a law enforcement officer. “It’s hard to place a value on these canines because of their valuable use to the sheriff’s office,” Gootee said. “Cpl. Jackson’s dog recovered hundreds of thousands of dollars in drugs seizures and will be missed. Cinco just joined the department and was coming into his own, and they will definitely be missed.”
 K-9 Perry has been assigned to Cpl. Keith Jackson and K-9 Zombie will be handled by Deputy Sheriff Matt Grinstead. “We have received the final tests results and it shows both dogs died from unrelated medical complications that are unrelated to anything in their environment,” said Sheriff Bill Gootee. “We believe these deaths are a horrible coincidence, but we know it was nothing criminal.” Both of these handlers were heart-broken with the passing of their partners but it’s important for them, for the agency and for our community that we get new dogs as they are an important tool in our fight against crime,” said Sheriff Gootee. “Both Sagas and Cinco were dedicated and loyal partners and will be missed.”  Money seized through the Department of Justice - not tax dollars - was used to purchase the dogs from Police Service Dogs, Inc. for $13,500. “These dogs are fully trained and will be ready to go to work once they bond with their handlers,” said Sheriff Gootee. “We needed a quick turn around with the loss of two within a week and I believe these dogs will be an excellent addition to our agency. We will not be able to replace K-9 Sagas and K-9 Cinco but we have moved past their deaths,” said Sheriff Bill Gootee.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA 

In Loving Memory of
May 2, 2008

Handler: Cpl.Tom Radford 
Burlington Police Department
One North Avenue
Phone: 802.658.2704 - Fax: 802.865.7549
Burlington, VT 05401 

Honored K9 Dies After Ceremony
Vermont Police paid tribute to their four-legged colleagues on Friday, with the opening of a K9 Hall of Fame at the Police Academy in Pittsford. One of the inductees was Stoney, who retired from the Burlington Police force in February. Stoney holds the record for the most drug finds of any Vermont police dog. But the 8-year-old German Shepherd had recently been ill, and sadly, Stoney died on the way home from Friday's ceremony. Cpl. Tom Radford and canine Stoney were with the Burlington Police Department. Burlington Police Corporal Tom Radford and Stoney, a German Shepard police dog, worked together on the beat for several years before Stoney retired a year ago. Stoney passed away Friday night.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
March 31,2008
Handler: Captain Joe Daly 
Live Oak Police Department 
Buddy Williams, Chief 
212 Ohio Ave N - Ph (386) 362-7463 
 Live Oak, FL 

LOPD’s first K-9 officer mourned
To the Live Oak Police Department, Sam was more than a dog. K-9 Sam, LOPD’s first police dog, was part of the team. Sam retired from the force last year to spend his days with former handler Captain Joe Daly and Daly’s family. Sam, 11, died peacefully in his sleep last week. LOPD held a memorial service Monday to honor Sam’s memory. The ceremony drew scores, including K-9 officers from around the state, their handlers by their sides. Former Live Oak police chief Nolan McLeod shared his memories of Sam. McLeod called the LOPD K-9 unit a successful team that “faithfully patrolled and served the citizens of Live Oak.”  Daly and Sam, a German Shepherd, were the department’s first K-9 team. McLeod was chief at the time. The department obtained Sam through the Humane Society in 1999. After training by a professional handler, Sam was certified as a dual-purpose dog, skilled at both criminal apprehension and narcotics detection. He could sniff out marijuana, crack cocaine, powder cocaine, heroine, methamphetamines and ecstasy. Daly called Sam “a great officer and friend.” “Sam and I were a good team,” he said. Daly was a sergeant when he became a K-9 officer. He was so attached to Sam that when an opportunity opened to become lieutenant, he refused to take the position at first because he was told he would have to give up the dog. However, McLeod allowed Daly to keep Sam and Daly was promoted.  Though the dog was officially retired, Daly said Sam never lost his edge. About three weeks ago a worker was installing countertops at Daly’s home. Daly’s wife, Pam, was at home by herself. Pam became occupied with other business, and when the worker tried to enter the home unescorted, Sam stopped him. “He was always on duty,” Daly said. During the time Daly and Sam served as LOPD’s K-9 unit, Sam either directly or indirectly assisted with 279 arrests, 18 felony drug cases, 12 misdemeanor drug cases and 350 building searches. After Sam’s retirement last year, the LOPD obtained a lab named Rock to take his duties. Officer Casey Kinsey is his handler.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
   K9 SAM
     March 15, 2008
Handler: Constable Epeli Nanuku
FIJI POLICE Police Headquarters
Fiji Police Force, P.O. Box 239, Manohan Building, Suva, Fiji.
fax: 334 3809 Phone: 334 3777 
please contact webmaster at

Hero's funeral for police dog 3/20/08  Sam, a German shepherd was laid to rest yesterday.
A POLICE dog with a record of arrests that led to successful convictions was given a full police burial yesterday the first time in Fiji's police history. And his handler for four years, constable Epeli Nanuku, was given two weeks bereavement leave by the Fiji Police Force. The Last Post was played for Sam, a four-and-a-half-year-old German shepherd, and senior officers saluted him in a full parade as his casket was lowered into his final resting place at the Dog Unit headquarters in Nasese, Suva. Members of the unit gathered in a solemn ceremony yesterday to bury Sam, who fell ill and died last week after attending to his final report with his handler. Sam, a tracker dog, was known for his speed and quick instinct out in the field. Constable Nanuku said Sam helped police capture a number of notorious prison escapees and suspects. Most of the arrests led to convictions. He said Sam was brought in from Australia in 2004 at the age of six months and was actively involved in high-profile investigations involving hardened criminals and escapees. Constable Nanuku said he and his family of four boys were devastated when Sam died. He said it was procedure for handlers to visit their dogs daily to build the bond that made them effective out in the field. Constable Nanuku said Sam had been actively involved in more than 30 police reports that include raids and pursuits. He said two particular incidents were the capture of an escapee who fell from a cliff in Lami and a shooting incident at Kuku, Nausori. He said Sam tracked the suspects in both cases.  "He was a very loyal friend that never took a sick leave or annual leave like we, average working people, do," he said. "Sam was very close to my children because I usually took him home on weekends. As sad as I was, I was happy when my superiors told me there was going to be a full police burial for him. He was a true hero and deserved it." The head of the dog unit, Inspector Jone Yalimaiwai, said a full police burial for police dogs was now compulsory because they were considered police constables. "Fiji is new to this. However, we at the dog unit classify our dogs as our partner in the line of duty," Inspector Yalimaiwai said. Sam's handler was given two weeks leave because he had worked with Sam almost every day since 2004. The unit has nine police dogs, including Dobermans and Labradors. Inspector Yalimaiwai said the dogs were specially trained for tracking, detecting explosive devices or drugs. He said it was crucial that police dogs were looked after by one handler because they would work together in the field. A post mortem examination showed Sam died of stomach problems.  Inspector Yalimaiwai said Sam was the best tracker at the dog unit. 
submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
 April 4, 2008  
Handler: DMV, DACVS Paul McNamara

Schenectady County Sheriff’s Office
 320 Veeder Ave.
Schenectady, NY 12307
Phone: (518) 388-4300
Harry Buffardi, Sheriff

Dear Friends in the Canine Community-
It is with extreme sadness that I write to inform you that my best friend and partner, K-9 Sasha passed away during the evening of Friday, April 4, 2008 after a short battle with cancer.  Sasha was the best gift I have ever received and had just celebrated her 10th birthday when she was diagnosed with a very aggressive form of cancer. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to win this last battle, but at least she passed away peacefully, at home, surrounded by the people and animals that loved her most. She played with her toy up until the last minute, and never suffered or lost her dignity. Through and with Sasha, I was able to experience, albeit in a small way, the life and bond of a K-9 team. We had the ultimate privilege of working for a time as a K-9 unit with the Schenectady County Sheriff’s Office, where she was certified in advanced narcotics and tracking. Always a hit at public demonstrations, Sasha was a very friendly dog who always had a tail wag or kiss for someone in need.  I guess tonight completes my circle of being a K-9 handler. I’ve experienced the excitement of training, the  thrill of  ‘doing the job’, and, now, the pain of losing a great partner.  I’ve been told that handler’s always remember their first partner most of all, and I am sure that I will be no exception. As you all start, or end, your shifts with your K-9 partners, please take an extra second to give them  a pat on the head and, maybe, say something nice about my girl. Sincerely, Paul S. McNamara, DVM, DACVS      
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA