Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.
Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below
Temple Daily Telegram -
August 24, 2009

In Loving Memory of
Summer  2008

Handler: Herbie Vaughan
Milam County Precinct 3
Temple, Texas

Drug dogs have their day in court  

CAMERON - Starting today, V-Jaks Von Erzengel will join his sidekick, veteran drug-sniffing dog Probable Cause Von Erzengel
(or PC), as duly trained deputized canine law officers working with owner-trainer Herbie Vaughan, Milam County Precinct 3 constable.  Vaughan volunteers his dogs’ tracking and narcotics drug-sniffing capabilities to seizing illegal drugs, finding lost people and chasing down criminals. V-Jaks and PC will be appointed as official Milam County deputies and recognized as U.S. Tactical K9 Law Enforcement Training Academy graduates certified in detecting marijuana, cocaine and methamphetamines from automobiles and buildings, as well as the apprehension and tracking of people during a meeting today of the Milam County Commissioners’ Court.
Certification will provide the dogs an umbrella of protection under the law against criminal retaliation, Milam County Judge Frank Summers said. “Once we appoint them as deputies, if someone harms them, it is assault on a peace officer,” Summers said. “If dogs are going to be doing drug work we normally appoint them as deputies so they have protection.” Texas is among most  U.S. states that protect police dogs. Offenses may be prosecuted as felonies depending upon the severity of the case ranging  from injury to death, or as misdemeanors for minor offenses such as releasing a dog, restricting the handler’s control of the animal, or taunting, tormenting or striking a police-service animal, or feeding the animal without the handler’s consent. Vaughan can relate to the reality of this threat because several years ago, drug dealers in Milam County put a price on the furry head of his first drug-sniffer dog, Char. Hence, Vaughan’s dogs are very well cared for and protected. Last summer during a training session, Char died suddenly of a heart attack. Cameron’s police dog, 11-year-old Mick, died of natural causes last summer, three days after Vaughan lost Char.Vaughan reserved a replacement, but his AKC registered German shepherd, PC, age 5, would not accept a female replacement for Char, thus, U.S. Tactical K9 Law Enforcement Training Academy trainers recommended he choose a male to match PC’s bossy temperament. Vaughan paid $5,000 for V-Jaks, a 3-year-old American Kennel Club-registered male German shepherd. He spent last week in a 60-hour training session with the dog, and brought him home to Milam County last Saturday. Vaughan paid $2,500 for PC and voluntarily offers his highly trained dogs to police agencies. “They are a valuable asset, just another tool we can use,” Sheriff David Greene said. “I try to get the drugs before it gets to the schools, and get them away from our kids,” Vaughan said. “Too many of our kids are ruined by narcotics and if I can do a little bit of something to stop it, I will. When V-Jaks finds his first dope he will pay for himself.” Currently, Vaughan’s two police canines are the only ones operating in Milam County, but Vaughan and his deputy dogs are available around the clock to the sheriff’s department, Texas Department of Public Safety, and police departments in Cameron, Rockdale and Thorndale. Rockdale Police Chief Thomas Harris said Vaughan’s drug-sniffing canines are valuable and “Herbie comes out any time of the day or night to help us.” Vaughan is a Rockdale Volunteer Fire Department member, a former Houston firefighter and paramedic, and a former member of the Rockdale EMS. He is more than willing to donate his training and his dogs to drug enforcement. PC is a passive alert dog, while V-Jaks scratches walls and cars when he detects drugs, Vaughan said. The drug-sniffing dogs “are extremely valuable resources,” Cameron Police Chief Patrick Guffey added. “You can’t put a price tag on them,” Guffey said. Vaughan said one major ingredient to a successful trainer-dog relationship is to have “faith in the dog’s nose.” “The trainer says the brain starts at the other end of that leash and comes up toward the human,” Vaughan said. “The dogs don’t miss. Their noses are so sensitive; they can pick up things we would never notice.”

In Loving Memory of
July 1, 2008

Handler: Sgt. Sam Blaski 

Kingston Police Department 
500 Wyoming Ave
Kingston, Pennsylvania 18704

Four-year-old Kingston drug dog dies
Macso, a 4-year-old German shepherd from Bulgaria, died Tuesday after a brief illness. “The guys are very sad. You get to know the dogs. They’re a part of the family and a part of the department,” Kingston police Chief Keith Keiper said Wednesday. For the last three years, Macso has been a sworn member of the Kingston Police Department. He trained, worked and lived with K-9 officer Sgt. Sam Blaski. Blaski and his family are taking the loss hard, fellow officers said. Sgt. Michael Kryzwicki — handler for the department’s other K-9, Sax, for the last seven years — said he sympathizes with his colleague. “The dog is with you 24 hours a day, unlike a normal pet. I can’t imagine. It’s tough,” he said. Macso was treated for symptoms of an illness for several days and took a turn for the worse on Tuesday as he exhibited a very high temperature. At a local animal hospital, veterinarians administered a variety of tests and intravenous therapy, and also gave the dog an ice bath, officials said. However, Macso later died from cardiac arrest. There was no immediate cause of death. The Municipality of Kingston and its police department are planning a memorial service to honor Macso, and are seeking to place a memorial marker outside the municipal building. Wyoming Valley West School District purchased Macso for the police department three years ago. Kingston has paid the maintenance fees. Macso was made available to patrol the streets of Kingston and also conduct drug sweeps of schools in the district. “Especially the kids in grade schools — they liked to see him. Some of the teenagers who were doing drugs, now they didn’t like to see him,” Keiper said. If Blaski wanted and was ready, Keiper said the department would love to see him be the handler for the department’s next drug dog. “We’d like to get another dog and see Sam be the trainer. As soon as Sammy is ready,” he said.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
 November 23, 2008

Handler:  Deputy Clyde Kellogg 
412 Mayeaux Dr.
Deridder, LA 70634
Ph: (337) 463-3281
Deceased BPSO K-9's service honored
Veterinarian Ted Hoerner (above, from left) donates a marker to be placed on the grave of the recently deceased Beauregard Parish Sheriff’s Office K-9, “Mal.” Receiving the marker is Mal’s family, BPSO Deputy Clyde Kellogg, who was the canine’s handler for its last three years of service, Dixie Kellogg and their son, Matthew. The Beauregard Parish Sheriff’s Office recently lost one of its valued K-9’s. K-9 “Mal,” a Belgian Malinois, was born on May 5, 1998 and served with the New Llano Police Department before being given to the BPSO by Evan Fowler in 2004. Mal was paired with Deputy Clyde Kellogg, and the two traveled to a training facility in Mississippi where they were both certified to work in the K-9 program. Mal was trained in criminal apprehension, handler protection and narcotics detection, and during his time with the BPSO he was instrumental in numerous arrests of subjects for drug related offenses. He was also a great asset to other local agencies who did not have a narcotics detector K-9. As K-9 program coordinator for BPSO, Detective Dale Sharp, states that Mal and Deputy Kellogg were an exceptional pair, and that the two helped the BPSO K-9 program grow. “Before Mal, there was only one K-9 dog,” says Sharp. “Thanks to Mal and Kellogg’s great accomplishments, we now have four.” According to Sharp, the Belgian Malinois has become a favored breed with the BPSO and other law enforcement agencies due to their longevity in the field compared to other breeds. Mal was retired in late 2007 after severe arthritis developed in his front shoulder. He lived out his retirement with the Kelloggs. On October 23 of this year, Mal was euthanized due to spinal problems that could no longer be helped by his medication. He was ten years-old at the time of his death. Recently Ted Hoerner, the vet that cared for the animal, donated a grave marker for Mal’s resting place. “I just felt like it was the respectful thing to do,” Hoerner says. Mal was laid to rest wrapped in a knitted blanket bearing the BPSO emblem. His grave was dug in the Kelloggs’ backyard, by the Town of Merryville.

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
November 3, 2008

Members of Indy Mantrailing brought their search-and-rescue dogs to the Fraternal Order of Police lodge in Greenfield
to pay respects to Maxwell Smart, a 3-year-old bloodhound.

Handler: Mike McPherson
Indy Mantrailing K9 SAR
P.O. Box 29068
Indianapolis, IN 46229

Search-and-rescue dog community gathers to mourn young bloodhound
Death of a search-and-rescue dog also a loss for community it served
Members of Indy Mantrailing brought their search-and-rescue dogs to the Fraternal Order of Police lodge in Greenfield to pay respects to Maxwell Smart (inset), a 3-year-old bloodhound. In his short life, Maxwell Smart had been on three rescue missions and helped direct police to find a missing 13-year-old girl. Friends, admirers and teammates of the bloodhound search-and-rescue dog celebrated his accomplishments and mourned his loss Sunday at the Fraternal Order of Police lodge. Maxwell died Nov. 3 when his stomach filled with air and rotated on itself, a common ailment in breeds such as bloodhounds, which have deep and narrow chests. He was 3. "He wasn't just a dog; he was a family member, and for me a co-worker and a best friend," said Mike McPherson, Maxwell's owner, who went with him on search-and-rescue missions. A search-and-rescue dog's death reverberates beyond the owners. When one of Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department's more than 30 dogs died in 2007 from gunshot wounds, the community raised $8,000 for the canine unit. Emergency personnel use the animals to help them find missing people, and preparing dogs for the task takes at least two years of training, said Randy McPeak, a Bowling Green resident who heads up Indy Mantrailing, the group in which Maxwell served. Because of the time investment required to develop and maintain their skills, losing a search-and-rescue dog is comparable to losing a Seeing Eye dog, said Coleen Ellis, founder of Carmel-based Pet Angel Memorial Center. At Sunday's service, six members of Indy Mantrailing and their bloodhounds joined McPherson and his family to pay their respects. The team members lit a candle, which sat on a table that held Maxwell's paw print, his collar and one of his favorite football chew toys. They shared tearful embraces with McPherson before reading a eulogy recalling Maxwell's love for his work and his ability to walk on his back legs during training sessions -- a move that made some compare him to a ballerina. The words were delivered amid whimpers from the bloodhounds and sniffles from those in the audience, some of whom shared their own thoughts of Maxwell following the eulogy. "Every kid in the neighborhood knew Max," said McPherson's neighbor Brett Dye. "He was a great dog, and he made a lot of people happy." Maxwell was born in June 2005 and began his training at 10 weeks. He and McPherson trained several hours a day, practicing mock rescues and doing obedience training. Two or three times a week, they'd go on 7- or 8-mile walks, which helped them bond, McPherson said. McPherson and other team members do the missions as volunteer work. They serve emergency forces across the state, from Greenfield, where McPherson lives, to near Terre Haute, near where McPeak resides.  The dogs are trained to search for live people, as opposed to cadavers, but sometimes they find their search subjects are dead. "The biggest thing is (providing) closure to a family," McPeak said. "That's our reward. It's a way of giving back to society." McPherson has another bloodhound, Maggie, who recently received her one-year training certification for search and rescue. He said he hopes to continue the missions as long as he's physically able. "Maxwell gave me the best start I could ever want," McPherson said.
 "It's up to me how I finish."

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
March 31, 2008

Handler: Officer Joe Maltese 
Rialto Police Department
128 N Willow Ave
Rialto, CA 92376
(909) 820-2578

Mike, a brown Belgian malinois that joined the force in June 2003. But last December, a veterinarian discovered that Mike had cancer. The dog's handler, Rialto police Officer Joe Maltese, took him out of service so he could spend his remaining days taking life easy. Mike died three months later. Friends of Rialto Police K-9s wasted no time finding a new partner for Maltese, and in June he and Smoky began six weeks of training. He became Rialto's newest patrol dog in July. Maltese said he sometimes slips up and calls him Mike, the memory of his first canine partner still fresh. In December, Maltese and Mike, who was trained in narcotics detection, were serving a search warrant when the dog found a large amount of methamphetamine and cash in a closet, Maltese said.  "He ran off just fine, but he came back limping to me," the officer recalled. "A day later, he was still limping." The doctor took X-rays, and the diagnosis came on Christmas Eve. Mike had osteosarcoma, or bone cancer, in his right hind leg. "That was his last arrest," Maltese recalled. "For several weeks he rode with me, but I didn't deploy him." The veterinarian prescribed pain medicine for Mike and warned Maltese that the osteosarcoma would make the dog's bones brittle.
"On March 31, we put him down because he broke his leg the night before," Maltese said. "It was probably the hardest day of my life."  Friends of Rialto Police K-9s covered the veterinary costs, including euthanizing Mike. "I asked (the doctors) if they could put him to sleep in the back seat of my patrol car," Maltese said. "I thought it was best to put him down where he was happiest." Maltese took the body of his 75-pound partner, who turned 8 a month earlier, to Gateway Pet Cemetery in San Bernardino. The Friends group picked up the tab for Mike's cremation and gave the ashes to Maltese.  "They're at my house, on a shelf in my office," he said. It's the final remnant of the bond the officer and his dog shared, on duty and at home, for almost five years.  It was a loss that muted an otherwise joyful season in Maltese's family -- the birth of his second child, a son, occurred the month before. Mike loved police work, especially the search drills to warehouses and residential neighborhoods that Maltese devised each week. He recalled the time a Rialto police officer lost his badge during a foot chase through a vacant field on Foothill Boulevard.Police combed the area but couldn't find it. Mike took up the search and quickly located the badge, Maltese said.  During his first week on the job, Mike assisted in a robbery investigation at a convenience store parking lot on Riverside and Merrill avenues. The fleeing robber tossed his gun and the victim's car keys, but Mike found them in tall bushes. "You put a lot of trust in these dogs," Maltese said. "You count on these guys to save your life, to find the bad guy."  Greta Hodges, president of the friends group, estimated the group has purchased 26 dogs for the Rialto Police Department over the years. Most come from Adlerhorst International Police K-9 Academy, a 7-acre training facility in Glen Avon, in Riverside County.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

Loving Memory of
August 15, 2008 

Handler: Deputy David Wise 
Lenoir County Sheriff's Office
PO Box 3289
Kinston, North Carolina 28502

K-9 companion shot
The Lenoir County Sheriff's Office lost one of its police dogs to a shooting recently. On Aug. 15 at approximately 11:50 p.m., the Lenoir County Sheriff's Office conducted an investigation into the shooting of a department K-9 officer, according to a press release from the department. A 7-year-old Belgian Malinois named Mighty was shot in the vicinity of Elijah Lofton Road in Lenoir County. The investigation began when K-9 handler Deputy David Wise left his residence to check on his dog and discovered Mighty was out of his pen. The investigation had further determined the dog had escaped through a bottom section of the gate and fence.  Wise and his family tried to find his dog and found out later that the dog had been shot at a residence on Elijah Lofton Road. Sheriff's Office investigators and patrol deputies went to the residence and identified the location of shooting and the deceased canine. Investigators interviewed witnesses at the residence and statements were obtained by everyone who had been at the residence at the time Mighty was seen there. Further investigation determined that a man at the residence had shot the dog with a 12-gauge shotgun. Davis, 24, of Pembroke Pines, Fla., was charged with one count of felony cruelty to an animal. Davis was processed and placed in the Lenoir County Jail under a $2,000 bond. Davis was scheduled for a first court appearance Wednesday. "Mighty had been with us for around two years," said Maj. Chris Hill. When asked what kind of burial Mighty would receive, Hill said that in cases such as this the handler of the dog is allowed to bury the animal wherever he or she sees fit.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of

Handler: RICK COX 
Petaluma Police Department
969 Petaluma Blvd. N.
Petaluma, CA 94952
phone:707.778.4370 - fax:707.778.4502

Police dog deserved better
I just read of the decision to euthanize Max, the Belgian Malinois police dog, and I am appalled. According to the article, Max had no bad behavior but he was “no longer as effective.” When the only attempt to find him a permanent home (with his original owners) was not fruitful, Max was euthanized. Max was 7 years old; the life span of a Malinois is 10-14 years. Is this how we treat those who serve our community? What about retirement with medical benefits? In many communities, the first choice for a police dog is retirement with their handler, with whom they have already been living. Understandably, this is not always an option. Second choice is a home with another individual trained in handling security dogs. Third choice is a sanctuary. Nowhere in the article were any of these possibilities noted. Many other communities have committed resources to honor their working animals. 
K-9 Global Training has a retired working dog adoption program for retired dogs. They have very high standards for adopting and their retired dog adoption program is very successful. San Francisco has a fund that pays medical costs for its retired police dogs. The Arlington, Va., police department has a fund for retired working dogs. The regional government in Chennai, India, set up a fund and sanctuary for its retired working dogs. The Department of Defense has a re-training and placement program in Texas for its retired working dogs. “These dogs serve the state amazingly well and face tremendous risks during the course of their service,” said Wayne Pacelle, president and CEO of the Humane Society of the United States in Washington, D.C. “It seems callous and short-sighted to cut off support for their care after their retirement. We don’t do that to police officers or our military, and we shouldn’t do it to these animals, who are willing to give up their lives to protect the public.” The Milo Foundation in Willits has a beautiful 200-acre sanctuary for unadoptable dogs and cats. Surely a place could have been found for Max there, especially if they were given funding for the cost of his care. Max could have had a new home with skilled people or a sanctuary at least. It is unconscionable for the Petaluma Police Department to act with so little regard for one of its own.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA <>  wrote requesting photo  & DOD - July 10, 08
another article on K9 MAX

K-9 name: "Max"
Sex: Male
Handler: Rick Cox
Breed: Belgian Malanois (pronounced "Mal-in-wah")
Age: 3 years
Weight: 80 pounds

Training: P.O.S.T Certified for Patrol and Narcotics Max was born in Southern California and raised by a Los Angles Police Officer. He was purchased by the Petaluma Police Department in September of 2003. Max was then teamed with Officer Rick Cox. Officer Cox and Max completed a 200 hour basic handler course and started serving the community in 2003. Officer Cox and Max protect other officers, search for hidden suspects, and search for evidence. In October 2004, Officer Cox and Max completed a 200 hour narcotic detection course. Max is now trained to detect the odor of methamphetamine, cocaine, heroin, and marijuana.

In Loving Memory of
June 25, 2008

Handler: ?
Missouri Sheriff’s Department 
Washington County Sheriff's Dept.
116 W. High St. Potosi, MO 63664 

Washington County police dog euthanized
This is a photo of Mosley a year later when he was taken back to the rescue group and placed in an animal foster home. - Photos courtesy of Midwest Bloodhound.    Mosley is missing 75 percent of his hair.

This is a picture of Mosley before he was adopted by the Washington County Sheriff's Department. He had fully recovered from a localized outbreak of mange. Mosley 1 year old. 
Mosley the bloodhound, the dog whose care by an eastern Missouri sheriff’s department worker led to misdemeanor charges of animal abuse, has been euthanized. The dog was put down on Wednesday. Sandi Singer-Adams of Midwest Bloodhound Rescue Inc. said Mosley had become increasingly aggressive. He was euthanized after biting the woman who adopted him. Singer-Adams believes the alleged mistreatment led to hormonal changes that resulted in the dog’s bad behavior. In May, Washington County jailer Lance Mason was charged with two counts of misdemeanor animal abuse.  He was fired at that time. The charges allege Mason failed to provide adequate food and water and failed to provide needed medication for the police dog. The Washington County Sheriff’s department adopted Mosley in January 2007. Mason began caring for and training the dog in November. Authorities say Mosley was found three months later, in February, in a tiny pen with no food, water or bedding. A veterinarian diagnosed the dog with frostbite, malnutrition, dehydration, ear and eye infections and other ailments.  The Missouri Police Canine Association is investigating how a dog in the care of the Washington County Sheriff’s Department got in the condition it did. The sheriff’s department is conducting its own investigation. The Washington County Sheriff’s Department adopted 1-year-old Mosley from the Illinois-based Midwest Bloodhound Rescue Inc. in January of 2007. They planned to use the bloodhound for search and rescues and public relations events. A year later, Capt. Charles LaLumondiere, who had signed the adoption agreement, contacted the group to let them know the dog was unhealthy and the department wanted its money back or a new dog. On Feb. 13, a volunteer went to pick up the dog. According to their Web site, the dog was found in a 4 by 4 dirt-floor pen outside a trailer. The dog had no food, water or bedding. “His condition was such that we rushed him to an emergency vet that night,” the Web site states. The dog reportedly suffered from frostbite, malnutrition and dehydration, severe hair loss (mange), ear and eye infections, seborrhea of the skin, cellulitis, and anemia. Missouri Police Canine Association President Gary White, a retired officer who is a master trainer and state coordinator for the national canine association, learned about the incident days later. He was disturbed and worried that this would leave a black mark on any police canine group. If it was just mange, White could understand the situation. The dog had an outbreak of mange before the adoption but now the dog was 30 pounds under weight and had frostbite. “I’m trying to find out who is responsible and how it happened,” he said. He said the dog didn’t get like this in one day. He said it appears the department didn’t do anything to take care of it. He also wants to know why they waited a year to “train” the dog. When White first learned about the situation, he thought someone must have posed as a deputy to get the dog.  But after talking with Captain LaLumondiere, handler Lance Mason, a member of the Sheriff’s Department, and Sheriff Kevin Schroeder that was not the case. “I don’t know if the sheriff or the captain knew of the dog’s condition,” he said. “Someone got this dog in this condition and we will not let it go. If they are a member of the sheriff’s department then they shouldn’t be any more.” He believes the sheriff’s department should pick up the Midwest’s $700 emergency vet bill and hand over their own vet records for Mosley. He said the person responsible should be disciplined and/or prosecuted for animal abuse. Sheriff Schroeder said the dog had lived with LaLumondiere until the week after Thanksgiving. The only problem the dog had until then was what the vet determined to be a skin allergy. The dog was treated and had recovered by the time it was handed over to the department’s handler for dog obedience training. Soon after, the handler told Schroeder that the dog was losing hair and weight. Schroeder said he told him to take the dog to the vet. He said the dog was then diagnosed with incurable mange. “We started making contact with (the rescue group),” Schroeder said. “By the time they got down here, apparently the dog was in really bad shape ... I found out about it through the Internet.” The sheriff, who has raised dogs of his own, said he is trying to get to the bottom of it through his own internal investigation. He is talking with White and the Midwest rescue group. He said if there was neglect or abuse, it will be dealt with. “It makes me sick, it makes me mad,” he said. In the adoption application, LaLumondiere stated he would keep the dog in the office or in a barn during the day and inside the house at night. Schroeder said LaLumondiere had problems becoming a certified handler. The signed contract requires the adoptive family to provide prompt and timely vaccinations and proper veterinary care, and proper nutrition. It states that the dog shouldn’t be tied up and a fence enclosure should be adequate shelter from the elements. Sandy Singer, director of Midwest Bloodhound Rescue, said she is upset on so many levels. She feels she has been lied to and the sheriff’s department didn’t live up to their contract.  She said the dog would cower in fear at times and has a demeanor like it has been abused. She said the dog was suppose to be a vital member of the community. She said the department had a lot of gall to demand a refund. She said someone contacted PETA — People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals, and she has provided them with information.  In January, Mason told the captain and the sheriff that the dog was in “bad shape” and losing weight and hair. Mason took the dog to Lawson Veterinary Clinic on Jan. 17 where the dog showed a weight loss of 32 pounds and was diagnosed with demodectic mange. The vet’s office recommended medications and food to help the dog in acquiring adequate caloric intake. They also recommended Mason change the dog’s bedding to place the dog in a more comfortable area due to the skin condition. According to the vet, the medication and food were available at the vet clinic through a charge account, but those foods and medications were never acquired. The officers said the condition of the dog deteriorated and no further vet care was provided.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
June 24, 2008

Handler: Officer Christine Davis 
 Fort Pierce Police Department
920 S US Highway 1
Fort Pierce, FL 34950
(772) 461-3820 

Fort Pierce police dog euthanized after health degrades from tumor
 German Shepherd police K-9 named Maverick was put down Tuesday afternoon, about two weeks after a tumor was found on his spine. Maverick, who arrived in Fort Pierce in fall 2001, and Officer Christine Davis became Fort Pierce's first K-9 team capable of detecting bomb-making materials. Following a biopsy on June 20 to determine the nature of the tumor, Maverick’s health quickly worsened. On Tuesday afternoon Davis, with the agency’s support, decided to have Maverick euthanized.
“She’s broken up about it,” Davis’s brother, John Stockton, said Wednesday. “Most people that have a pet, you get attached to your pet, but this is more of a partner. The K-9 officers are the only ones who can really explain that . . . Maverick was part of her.” Davis did not immediately return a phone call, and a police spokeswoman said she declined to comment. Stockton, 37, said his sister took Maverick home at the end of her shift, where he was the typical pet pooch. He loved to play ball and get attention and pets. “He was like a normal family dog until he got his commands,” Stockton said. The department saw the need for a dog capable of sniffing out plastic explosives and other bomb-making materials after the 9/11 terrorist attacks. In 2006, the FBI asked Davis and Maverick to help with securing Dolphin Stadium before Super Bowl XLI in Miami in February 2007. A New Jersey native, Stockton worked in the insurance field before becoming a police officer. She joined the police department about 10 years ago, and in a 2002 interview said the dog arrived from Germany with a lengthy name that she decided to change. "I just came up with Maverick because of how fast he is," she said at the time. "When he plays Frisbee, how he jumps and catches the Frisbee." The department plans to find a another dog for Davis, and an anonymous donor appears to have already provided money for the $8,000 purchase. A memorial service is scheduled July 9 at 6 p.m. at Haisley Funeral Home, 3015 Okeechobee Road.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
May 31, 2008

Manny is the blonde smaller K9

DVD pirates breathe easy after specialist sniffer dog dies
Malaysia's plan to use dogs to sniff out pirated DVDs has suffered a setback after one of two Labradors trained for the task died of an unknown cause. Authorities are investigating the cause of death but do not suspect foul play, said Mohamad Roslan Mahayuddin, an official in the Ministry of Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs. "We are quite shocked," he said. Manny, a year-old male, who died on May 31,  was trained in Ireland with another Labrador, Paddy, to sniff out a chemical used in manufacturing DVDs. A dog trained to sniff out pirated discs, from a Malaysian unit which criminals have made threats against,
has been found dead in the undisclosed location where it was kept, according to a report. Manny, was a one-year-old golden Labrador. "We have sent Manny's body to University Putra Malaysia for a post-mortem," said Roslan Mahayuddin, the enforcement director of the Domestic Trade and Consumer Affairs Ministry. They arrived in Malaysia in February and had been training with police officers and getting used to  Malaysia's climate.  Malaysia sought to form the world's first permanent canine anti-piracy unit after borrowing two dogs - Lucky and Flo - from the US Motion Picture Association. They helped Malaysian authorities discover 1.6 million pirated DVDs during a six-month stint last year. Lucky and Flo's success reportedly caused movie pirates to place a bounty on their heads. The dogs cannot distinguish between real and pirated DVDs, but they point officers to hidden caches of discs. Mohamad Roslan said Malaysia has not yet decided whether to get a new dog to replace Manny. Manny and Paddy were donated to Malaysia by the Motion Picture Association.
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
March 26, 2008
Handler: Detective Constable Stacey Rutherford
Peterborough Police Department
Police mourn the loss of retired police dog Max

Peterborough police are mourning the loss of one of their own. Police service dog Max died March 26, from Spondilosis, a spinal condition which is common in working dogs. Max was the service's first police dog to retire from active duty and he was trained and partnered with Detective Constable Stacey Rutherford. He retired in 2005 after eight years with the force. The former ambassador of the Peterborough police department, Max was involved in many cases where he helped apprehend suspects, track missing persons, and recover narcotics, evidence and property. In 1997 Max won a gold medal for narcotics detection in the Canadian Law Enforcement Games in Guelph. In 2003, Max and Police Service Dog partner Casey were invited by the FBI to take part in a joint forces drug and money laundering take down in Buffalo.
submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
March 19, 2008

Handler: Chief Reed Schmidt 
 Atwater Police Department 
123 4th St
P.O.Box 59
Atwater, MN 56209
TEL 320-974-8900

K-9 partner of Atwater police chief dies of stroke
                  The Atwater Police Department has lost one its most beloved members. Max, a 10-year old German Shepherd who worked alongside Police Chief Reed Schmidt for more than eight years in the K-9 unit, died unexpectedly last week. It’s believed Max suffered a stroke, possibly the result of internal injuries he received Nov. 14, 2006, during a criminal assault that also injured Schmidt. “It’s a hard loss for me,” Schmidt said. “He was more than just a K-9, he was my partner and my buddy. He was a companion to me for all these years.” Born in 1997 in Czechoslovakia, Max came to the United States when he one after being purchased by a company that trained him for police work. The Atwater Police Department obtained Max in October 1999 with the help of a federal grant. As one of the first K-9 units in the area, Schmidt said Max worked heavily in the early years doing drug and vehicles searches, and tracking people for Meeker and Kandiyohi counties and area school districts.  “He was a very good criminal deterrent,” Mayor Bruce Baker said. “When people saw that dog and they had any drugs on them, he had it.” Baker said Schmidt and Max made an excellent team. Max was “feared by some and loved by most,” Baker said. “We’re going to miss Max because he did a lot of good for the town.” “He was fantastic,” Schmidt said of Max. “We did so many things together over the years. Max loved to work and was often waiting by the squad car for Schmidt. When Schmidt returned from a year in Iraq, Max was there waiting, “ready to get back to work.” During patrols Max often rested his head on Schmidt’s shoulder, looking out the front window. The duo was popular at the elementary school in Atwater where Max showed off his obedience training. “He was always a big ham,” Schmidt said. When there was a crowd, “it was his time to shine.”  When Schmidt would drive by the school with Max in the back seat, Schmidt said “Kids would yell out, ‘Hi Max. Hi Max’ and then they’d say, ‘Oh, hi Officer Reed.’ I did get second billing.” Max and Schmidt were scheduled to appear at the school next week as part of a six-week safety program. Students there sent Schmidt cards in remembrance of Max. Max lived with Schmidt and they knew each other well. “If I was having a bad day, he knew about it.”  Likewise, Schmidt knew there was something wrong last Tuesday. Max was fine at work that day, but by 8:30 p.m., he appeared “disoriented.” Schmidt called the veterinarian, who advised him to keep a close watch. “I sat up with him all night,” Schmidt said.Max died early the next morning. Schmidt said the vet determined Max died of a stroke likely linked to the 2006 incident when Schmidt was injured in an attack, eventually losing the sight in one eye. During the attack, the squad car was repeatedly rammed. Max was inside and knocked unconscious. He didn’t come around until the attacker was apprehended. Schmidt said he has no doubt that injury resulted in the fatal stroke that killed his partner. Going to work now “just isn’t the same,” Schmidt said. “He was always waiting for me,” he said. “Now there’s just an empty spot.” 
submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
March 6, 2008

Handler: Cpl. Will Reynolds
Beckley Police Department
340 W Prince St
Beckley, WV 25801 - (304) 256-1708

Beckley P.D. Rottweiler K-9 succumbs to cancer
Merlin, the city’s and possibly the state’s only Rottweiler K-9, died Thursday morning, Chief Tim Deems said. Merlin was 7. In November, Merlin was diagnosed with a form of cancer affecting his lymph nodes. Statistically, a dog with that type of cancer would only have one to three months to live. However, Merlin remained on duty with the city. His handler, Cpl. Will Reynolds, said Merlin remained active and eager to work. Deems believed Merlin was on duty as late as Wednesday night. “He wasn’t just riding in the vehicle,” Deems said. “He was out working and was very successful at it.” Merlin’s work after the cancer diagnosis included tracking what city police said was an intoxicated shoplifting suspect who shoved a Beckley Wal-Mart loss prevention officer and threatened to shoot her. Merlin continued to track down illegal drugs as well, which Deems noted was his forte. He attributed that largely to Merlin’s breed, given that Rottweilers have such a strong will to work. But while Merlin had an intimidating presence at first glance, he was a kind, good-natured dog that would quickly warm up to people, Deems said. He noted police dogs like Merlin live in their handlers’ homes, and the bond between the officers, the dogs and the officers’ families is extremely strong. “No doubt, this is something Reynolds will really have to deal with over the next few days and weeks,” Deems said. Upon Reynolds’ request, Merlin has been buried at the city police shooting range, where K-9 officers take their dogs for training and breaks, Deems said.  “I thought it was a good idea,” Deems said. “Merlin being there will be a reminder for all K-9 officers when they’re down there about the good job and the service Merlin and Reynolds provided. We certainly thank them. “Merlin provided very good service to the city. ... We will miss him.”    
  submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
  February 9, 2008

Handler: Officer Matthew Wiesniewski
Burlington City Police Department 
435 Veterans Dr.
Burlington, New Jersey 08016

February 11, 2008
John A. Lazzarotti and the City of Burlington Police Department announce the passing of Police Canine Mic on February 9, 2008. Mic and his handler were on patrol when Mic suddenly became disoriented. Mic was rushed to the animal hospital and was diagnosed with terminal cancer and  internal bleeding.  Mic was imported from Hungary to the United States in 2001. Mic and his beloved handler, Officer Matthew Wiesniewski graduated from the Philadelphia Canine Academy in the spring  of 2002. The K-9 team was actively involved with the community making frequent visits to schools, senior citizens housing, charitable events, and was a blood donor to the  Willingboro Veterinarian Clinic for blood donations.  Mic was injured this year while conducting a track for a wanted person and  received a Purple Paw award for a broken leg he sustained during the track.
MEMORIAL SERVICE:  Public Welcomed

 February 19, 2008 at 1800 hrs 
Council Chambers @ 525 High Street 
 the City of Burlington. 
Any officer or K-9 handler wishing to attend with their partner
is requested to contact Sgt. Alan Snow. (609) 386-0262 ext. 214.
Donations in memory of Mic can be made to the 
City of Burlington Police Department Adopt A Dog program.
Solemn farewell planned for city police dog
The Police Department will hold a memorial service Tuesday, Feb. 19th for K-9 Mic, a beloved German shepherd who died Saturday after serving six years on the city's K-9 unit. Mic was on patrol Saturday with his handler, Officer Matthew Wiesniewski, when he became disoriented. He was rushed to an animal hospital, where he was diagnosed with terminal cancer and internal bleeding. He died that day, at the age of 8. “He was a wonderful comrade. My best friend,” Wiesniewski said yesterday. Mic was raised in Hungary and brought to the United States in 2001. He and Wiesniewski graduated from the Philadelphia Canine Academy in the spring of 2002. Mic was trained as a patrol dog, and was used for building searches, tracking criminals and missing children, and apprehending criminals. Wiesniewski recalled one incident where police pulled over a stolen motor vehicle. Police arrested the two passengers, but the driver fled. “(Mic) ended up finding the guy about 40 yards from the car, hiding in the woods,” Wiesniewski said. Mic also helped police track a burglary suspect, and find a gun buried behind a gas station. “He has done quite a bit in his short life span,” he said. In October, Mic was tracking a wanted person in Burl-ington Township when he was attack-ed by two Labrador retrievers. He suffered a broken leg, and returned to work about a week ago. Wiesniewski said his fellow officers presented Mic with a “purple paw” award for his bravery. In addition to his patrol work, Mic visited schools and nursing homes. Wiesniewski said the dog was friendly and docile in the community. He would do anything to please you,” he said. “He loved everybody. He was always out there to make a friend.” A memorial service will be held at 6 p.m. Tuesday in the council chambers at City Hall on High Street. Any officer or K-9 handler who wishes to attend with their canine partner can contact:
Sgt. Alan Snow at (609) 386-0262 ext. 214. Donations can be made to the City of Burlington Police Department Adopt-A-Dog program. Wiesniewski thank-ed the community and surrounding police departments for their support. There are now three active police dogs in Burlington City — Odie, Max and Duce. The department also has a retired police dog, Rocky. 
submitted by Jim Cortina  &     E-mail:
And.... Previous news: 
Bullet Proof K-9's
Bullet The Associated Humane Societies Vested Interest Fund continues to supply bullet-proof and knife-proof vests to law enforcement K-9s wherever there is a need. Most recently, the Society delivered a K-9 vest to Burlington City Police Officer Jaime Lambing’s partner, K-9 Odie. Also on hand was Police Officer Matthew Wiesniewski and his partner, K-9 Mic who had received a vest previously. Both K-9 vests were provided through the generosity of Moorestown attorney, Mark Catanzaro, who donated the entire cost of each vest which now costs $825. State Senator Diane Allen (R-7th District) was on hand to congratulate the officers and their K-9s. Burlington City Police Officer Jaime Lambing (l.) with his partner, K-9 Odie who was just presented with a protective vest. Thanks to the generosity of Moorestown attorney, Mark Catanzaro, he donated the funds to purchase Odie’s vest as well as the vest that went to Officer Matthew Wiesniewski and his partner, K-9 Mic. On hand for the presentation was State Senator Diane Allen.
New Partner... June 2008 - K9 MYA

In Loving Memory of
2002-January 29, 2008

Handler: PC Jonathan Inglis 
Central Scotland Police
 Central Scotland Police
Randolphfield, Stirling, Scotland, FK8 2HD
Tel :+44 (0)1786 456000 - Fax :+44 (0)1786 451177
Text-telephone:+44 (0)1786 445533

Police Rottweiler Dies Of Cancer 
Scotland’s first Rottweiler to be used as a police dog in Scotland has died.  Six-year-old Mac was diagnosed with bone cancer and deteriorated rapidly in ten days. He was put to sleep on January 16.  Sergeant Cameron Shanks, of Central Scotland Police’s Dog Section, said: “It was a shock how quickly his illness took over. We are all very upset at the loss.” Mac began limping and his handler Constable Jonathan Inglis took him to the vet where he received the devastating news that Mac had bone cancer.  Sergeant Shanks said: “Mac was a very high profile dog as he was the only working Rottweiler in a Scottish force. He was very obedient and reacted very quickly to his handler’s commands. He had a massive presence due to his stature and was exceptionally loyal.”  Mac was found wandering in an industrial estate in Falkirk in 2003 and was taken to a pound. The Dog Section were made aware of him when nobody claimed him.  Sergeant Shanks said: “I felt at that time that he had the qualities to become an excellent police dog. The one thing that stood out about him was his fantastic temperament.” Mac was placed with Constable Jonathan Inglis and they attended an initial training course at Strathclyde in 2003. He won best dog on the course. During his working career, which spanned four years, he attended 1,785 calls throughout the force and was responsible for apprehending 206 criminals and locating 31 vulnerable missing persons. He was also responsible for recovering property to the value of £69,000.  Constable Inglis said: “Mac was a fantastic police dog and a great ambassador for the Rottweiler breed. Together we apprehended hundreds of people, recovered thousands of pounds of stolen property and more importantly found a lot of missing persons, in some instances saving lives. “Mac was an exceptional dog when at home with my family and I. He was placid, gentle, very sociable and was part of the family. He will be missed greatly by a lot of people, but most of all he will be missed by me". Sergeant Shanks added: “Mac and Constable Inglis were a formidable team. We take great pride in the fact that Mac was rescued from the dog pound and turned into one of the most effective police dogs the force 
has ever had. “His time with us was enjoyable for everyone, especially the dog himself who was a very happy animal. He will be sadly missed by everyone".
submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
Military K9 MAKIN
January 6, 2008

Handler: Officer Tim Crane
Pittsburgh Police Department
1203 Western Avenue
Pittsburgh, PA 15233
Phone: 412-323-7800 

Pittsburgh Police Officer Serving In Air Force To Wear K-9 Cop's Ashes
 Pittsburgh police Officer Tim Crane is on leave from the department to serve in the U.S. Air Force Reserve in Afghanistan. He said he believes Makin, his K-9 partner, who passed earlier this month, will protect him there.  Crane and Makin came together when his wife, Becky, got her as a graduation present from the police academy.  "I knew I wanted to become a K-9 officer with the city of Pittsburgh, and it just happened; she fell into our lap," said Crane. "I knew she had some spunk. She had traits that city of Pittsburgh K-9 units were looking for." Makin served for more than seven years. "She was pretty small-framed for a police dog," said Crane. "What she didn't have in size, she definitely had in heart. "We would kid and say everyone she sent her on we were able to apprehend."  Makin retired in 2004 and came home to live with Crane, his wife, children and other dog. But on Jan. 6, at age of 14, Makin had to be put down.  "She was part of the family, like a child, like their sibling," said Crane. "She was a wonderful girl."  Makin's ashes sit in a place of honor, and when Crane, a chaplain's assistant, leaves with the 911th Airlift Wing for Afghanistan, he will wear some of those ashes in a black onyx cross.  "She not only protected me here, she will protect me there, and they say I will need it," said Crane." She will be with me all the time."
submitted by Renee Konais