Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.

Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

In Loving Memory of
Atlantic City Police Department

(need help)

In Loving Memory of

December 12, 2008

Handler: Sgt. Michael Colon
Millville Police Department

18 South High Street
Millville, New Jersey 08332
(856)825-7010 Ext. 7316

Millville K-9, Justice, dies
The Millville Police Bureau has announced the death of police K-9 Justice. While being treated for issues with his stomach on Friday, Justice passed away from complications, according to police Capt. Thomas M. Romanishin. Justice was assigned to the Millville Police Uniform Patrol Division with his handler Sgt. Michael Colon. Colon and Justice spent many long hours and shifts together as guardians and protectors of the City of Millville and it’s citizens, Romanishin said. During his career Justice was responsible for many arrests and apprehensions. He also performed dozens of community events, canine demonstrations and visited many school children in the city of Millville. He will not only be missed by the entire Colon family, but also be missed by the officers that he served with and the community he proudly protected until his passing, Romanishin said. A memorial service is in the process of being planned, but the exact date and time has not been set. May Justice rest in peace and thanks for his service and protection, he will be missed!  

Date of service Dec. 18 2008  Thursday 10 am 

A service is held Thursday for Millville police K-9 Justice, who died Dec. 12 from complications related to a stomach condition.  
It was Justice's moment, and he didn't let his partner down. The Millville police K-9 was pursuing a suspect in a double shooting who had run from a vehicle after it crashed while he and other suspects were fleeing police. Justice tracked the suspect, who responded by kicking the dog in the face. Instead of retreating, Justice "went right back to him, holding on to him," the patrol dog's partner, Millville police Sgt. Michael Colon, recalled Thursday during a memorial service for the dog, who died last week. "He was looking back as if he were waiting for me to arrive. It's a moment I will remember forever. "That response was typical for Justice, a 9-year-old German shepherd who joined the force in 2002, Colon said. Justice died Dec. 12 of complications related to a stomach condition. Millville police officers and members of the community packed the municipal courtroom at the police department to remember Justice, the second Millville police K-9 to die in the past three months. Officer Anthony Loteck recently lost his K-9 partner, Ronny, who was euthanized after doctors discovered he had advanced bone cancer. On Thursday, Loteck recalled the friendly competition between Ronny and Justice. In public, "instead of barking at the crowd, they would bark at one another as if to say, 'I'm the top dog, not you,'" a tearful Loteck said. Police Chief Ed Grennon said Justice had a laid-back personality, much like his handler. "But like Mike, when you needed him, he was there," Grennon said of Justice. At the end of the service, K-9 units from area law enforcement agencies offered Justice a final salute. The dogs and their handlers paused at a table near the judge's bench, where Justice's ashes were held in a wooden box. The dogs barked as their handlers saluted. Public Safety Director Dave Vanaman said Colon would get another K-9 partner. And Loteck is training with a new dog, as well as preparing to become a K-9 instructor. As the department dealt with the most recent loss of a K-9, it has also welcomed two new dogs and their handler to the force. Officer John Butschky transferred to the department from the Cumberland County Sheriff's Department and brought with him a bomb-sniffing dog and another K-9 that specializes in narcotics detection and patrol work. Butschky started work on the Millville force last week. 
submitted by Capt. Thomas M. Romanishin & Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA  (Bob & I attended this service)
Candle ceremony sparks tribute to deceased K-9s  1/29/09  New Jersey
Millville K-9 Sergeant Michael Colon (left) and K-9 Patrolman Tony Loteck (right), with new K-9 Nitro, received memory candles in the name of their fallen K-9s, Justice and Ronny respectively, Wednesday night at Opti RX in Vineland. Pattyann Lamcken (second from left) and Trisha Newkirk (second from right) worked on the candles.
Two recently deceased Millville police K-9 dogs received a glowing tribute Wednesday night. Three area women who own a business that sells natural foods and soy candles presented specially made candles to the dogs' handlers during a short ceremony at Opti Rx at Pietro Plaza on Delsea Drive. The candles have an image of the dogs' badges and a black band similar to the ones police wear on their uniform to mourn a fellow officer. The candles also came with an attached two-sided picture frame with a photo of each dog and its handler, and a poem for pet lovers, "Beyond the Rainbow." They were presented to Millville police K-9 officers Tony Loteck and Sgt. Michael Colon. Loteck said he appreciates the compassion that everyone has shown him after the death of his K-9 partner, Ronny. "Nothing will replace our first partners," he said. "There will always be that vacant spot in my life." Ronny was euthanized in September after doctors discovered he had advanced bone cancer. (Earlier this month, Loteck and his new partner, Nitro, graduated from a 16-week K-9 training course.) "For me, it's knowing other people care," Colon said. "I appreciate that. I'm still dealing with Justice's loss, but this does help." Justice, Colon's partner, died Dec. 12 of complications related to a stomach condition. "When we found out Tony Loteck lost his pet, we came up with the idea of making a candle, and then a couple months later, Justice had to be put to sleep, and we made one for him also," said Trish Newkirk, 37, one of three partners in Jersey Girl Candles, which makes scented candles, including candles for pet memorials. The candle business is an offshoot of Nussentials, the whole foods business Newkirk runs with Diane Castor and Patty Ann Lamcken.

Officer. Anthony Loteck recently lost his K-9 partner, Ronny,
who was euthanized after doctors discovered he had advanced bone cancer 9/8/08.

IN MEMORY OF JUSTICE  2/21/09  New Jersey    
Millville Police Officer Anthony Loteck presents a plaque to artist Diane Roberts. - Millville police Sgt. Michael Colon holds a portrait of himself and his late K-9 partner, Justice, done by artist Diane Roberts.

When Millville police officer Anthony Loteck’s K-9 partner, Ronny, died last fall, Millville Police Detective Keith O’Brien contacted artist Diane Roberts about the possibility of doing a portrait for Officer Loteck to honor Ronny’s memory. Roberts was more than willing to help. When Millville police Sgt. Michael Colon’s K-9 partner, Justice, died recently, Detective O'Brien called Roberts again. And once again, she was more than willing to do a portrait, this time to honor the partnership between Officer Colon and Justice. The Millville Police Department recently presented Roberts with a plaque in recognition of the true compassion and dedication she has shown to the department in connection with the loss of its fallen officers.  

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
October 2008

Handler: Officer Melinda Ruopp
Marshalltown Police Department
22 N Center St
Marshalltown, IA 50158

(641) 754-5725

Long-time police dog remembered for service
During the time they teamed up together, JR and Officer Melinda Ruopp uncovered more than $500,000 worth of drugs and nearly $100,000 in cash. The two also teamed took home top honors one year during a national competition for drug detection. JR, seen in this photo, died recently of an unknown illness. He was 13 at the time of his death and was Marshalltown’s third canine officer. Sometimes, as a police officer, when you go to work everyday with the same partner for nine years, there is a sense created that he will always be there. After all, he's always watched your back, and you've always watched his. So when he dies, it's a little hard to take. The fact that he was a dog doesn't make it any easier. "He worked hard for me," said Melinda Ruopp, the (human) officer who worked with JR all those years he was with the force. "He did his best anytime he ever went out." Though JR retired from active policy duty in 2007, he still remained part of Ruopp's family, actively watching the house and even accepting when a new police dog, a younger pup named AWOL, arrived in the house. JR was 13 years old at the time of his death and Ruopp knew there was something not quite right. He had not been himself and was put on pain medications. It was possible the veterinarian could have tried to find out what, exactly, was wrong, but Ruopp wanted him to live out his days peacefully, not being subjected to a battery of tests. "He was such a complex dog," Ruopp remembered. "He had a lot of different personalities that showed through and he had a lot of different ways of handling things. He was a very loyal dog." During his time as a police dog, JR made his mark on the city - and on the nation. His cases were featured as cases of the year several times through the United States Police Canine Association. In 2004, JR and Ruopp were awarded the overall individual champion at the USPCA National Detector Dog Trials in Bay St. Louis, Miss. However, while those national accolades grabbed headlines and attention, Ruopp said JR's worth was not defined by such things. JR was more than just a competition dog. "It's really his street work that has to come first," she said. "What does he do for Marshalltown? I'd like to think he was a pretty good street dog besides being a good competition job." During his career, JR seized more than $500,000 worth of illegal drugs, was responsible for a number of apprehensions and building searches. He also found nearly $100,000 in cash over the years. Ruopp said JR took retirement kind of hard. He loved what he did and had trouble understanding why, when she put on her uniform, he wasn't hopping up into the SUV with her. But just because he was no longer a cop, didn't mean that he didn't still keep his skills. "After he retired, I'd take him to some training or to demos. And you could see that spark in his eye," Ruopp said. "He never forgot what he was to do. If you love what you do, it makes it a lot easier. He loved doing narcotic work." While some police dogs have a reputation for being very rough and distant emotionally, Ruopp said JR broke the mold in that regard. In fact, that portion of his personality was what she said she would miss most. "He was very affectionate. He had this way of bouncing when he was coming to meet you," she said. "He trotted like he was so happy all the time. He was always very affectionate and happy, even when he retired." Now, both on the job and at home, Awol is the top dog in the Ruopp household. But at first, even he had a hard time understanding where JR was. "He was kind of lost for the first couple of days. He walked around kind of looking for him. But he has immediately stepped into the role of guardian and protector," Ruopp said. "I've noticed a marked difference in his awareness." JR was the third canine officer the Marshalltown Police Department had. However, it was Ruopp's first dog. In the end, she will remember him as a capable partner. "Everybody has a gift and I think his was he just loved to do his job," she said. "He loved to look for drugs and that showed."
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
November 4, 1999 - June 2, 2007

 Handler: Officer Clay Rushford
Orange Police Department
400 E. River St
Orange, MA 01364

K-9 Jet dies suddenly; Fatal tumor on pancreas went undetected
 By CAROL LAURIAT Special to the Recorder

    The police dog, born Gero Vom Sassengergerland in Germany on Nov. 4, 1999, was successfully recovering from an operation Thursday for a painful spinal condition, when a totally separate, previously undetected problem arose: a malignant tumor on his pancreas. The police dog died in his sleep at the Townsend Veterinary Hospital on Saturday. Jet's handler, officer Clay Rushford, the Orange Police Department and the Pioneer Junior Women's Club, the sole sponsor of the town's K-9 program for nearly 30 years, were still reeling from the shock Monday afternoon. PJWC's Geneva Lawson, who started the K-9 program, said, ''Right now, we're all trying to get over the initial shock of the whole thing. We'll take it one day at a time for now.'' Rushford said, ''there's a lot of sadness in the OPD right now. We've lost our pal. ''This is the first time in 30 years that we don't have an old dog retiring with a new dog waiting in the wings to take over. We lost Jet prematurely, so now we'll just have to wait to see what happens,'' Rushford said.
He noted that the veterinary staff, who were ''super supportive'' during Jet's operation to alleviate an extremely painful spinal condition, were ''devastated'' by the turn of events. ''It's very important to me that people understand that the operation had nothing to do with Jet's death,'' Rushford said. ''The operation was very successful. In fact, the doctor told me it was so successful that I shouldn't go out right away and buy a sling (for his leg) because (Jet) was doing so well he probably wouldn't need it.''  The doctor told Rushford he suspects Jet's cause of death was insulinoma, a malignant tumor on the pancreas. According to, an insulinoma is ''a malignant tumor of the pancreas that secretes excessive amounts of insulin leading to hypoglycemia. They usually occur in middle-aged to older dogs, usually eight to 12 years of age and are very rare in cats.''  Rushford said, ''In retrospect, now that I'm more educated about (insulinoma), there probably were a lot of little things going on in his life that if you took his leg problem (with the pain in the spinal column) out of the formula, it might have been more obvious.'' After the surgery Friday, Jet's surgeon, Dr. James Easley, told Rushford that the police dog's nerve functions were fine and that he had movement in his tail and, most important, the affected right leg was working fine. Rushford said the surgeon also told him that ''it was apparent that Jet was having difficulty and that there may be an underlying problem occurring. Further testing was done and it was determined that (the K-9's) glucose level was critically low.''  As blood samples were sent away to a specialized lab to help determine what was happening, Jet was administered drug therapy for the suspected cause and within a short time showed a marked improvement. But during the night, Jet passed away in his sleep.  ''Nobody saw it coming,'' Rushford said. ''It was as much a shock to the staff down there as it was to us. (The insulinoma) raised its ugly head in the middle of the catastrophe (of Jet's operation). It would have showed up regardless of the other condition. And because the effects are so intermittent, if I had known six months ago what I know now, I may have seen things a little differently. But there wouldn't have been a whole lot we could have done.''
Rushford said Jet will be laid to rest with the other K-9s he has worked with over the last 25 years, including Champ, Xalk and Ajo. ''They'll all be together now,'' Rushford said. K-9 Jet came to Orange police in 2002. He earned titles in endurance, companion and Schutzhund I. He was a certified patrol dog and completed training in Homeland Security. He attended DARE graduations, gave public demonstrations, and helped promote the PJWC's Santa Fund drive.
Jet completed more than 70 tracks and had 20 arrests to his credit. In 2003, he tracked a suspect for a mile-and-a-half using a five-hour-old trail. Also that year, he located two suspects, who had vandalized Ralph C. Mahar School, inside the school. In 2004, Jet tracked four teens involved in vandalizing the downtown area. In 2005, he was assigned to provide security for entertainer Bill Cosby during a visit to Mahar. Last summer, Jet did numerous tracks during a multi-week crime spree, which involved break-ins into many vehicles. Jet recovered evidence and gave investigators an area to concentrate their search efforts. As a result, those responsible were identified and charged. When it was determined Jet needed emergency surgery for his Lumbosacral stenosis, which produced great pain and made it difficult for Jet to use his right rear leg, the PJWC sent out an open appeal to the community to help pay for his surgery and aftercare. In a press release, Rushford said, ''the support from the area communities in Jet's time of need was overwhelming and left us all realizing what a great area we live in. It goes without saying that Jet will be missed by all that he served.''
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
November 8, 1995 ~ March 26, 2008

Handler: Steven C. Vesco
Windsor Police Department
340 Bloomfield Avenue
Windsor, CT 06095
Ph: 860-688-5273 - Fx: 860-683-2862

I'm sorry to announce the passing of Steve Vesco's K9 partner "Jag" of the Windsor Police Department. Officer Vesco and K9 "Jag" were the 1st runner -up recipients of the Daniel Wasson K9 Memorial Award in 2003 and were also members of the CPWDA for 10 years. Please pass your condolences to Steve and his family at  Steve wanted me to tell everyone that a memorial service for Jag will be held in approximately 2 more weeks and he will let me know the date and time to pass along to everyone. Steve's requested that this message below would be passed along. 
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

Jim, I'm sadden to announce that on 3/26/08 at 0815 , K9 Jag was put to sleep after a quick and sudden illness. He was an amazing partner that always made me look good holding the leash. His 10 1/2 year career was stellar. I know that he will never be forgotten by all in the K9 community, friends and especially my wife and children. He never complained, not even to the end. I never imagined that it would be so hard, but many have reached out to me. Thank you to all that have helped make Jag and I a success. A special thanks to my wife (Heidi), Doug Humphrey, Bill Nott, Jeff Angell, Mike Bride, CPWDA & Penny Harris.
Windsor’s award-winning police dog dies
A few months past his 12th birthday and only five months after retiring, the Police Department’s award-winning police dog, Jagger, died Wednesday. Officer Steven Vesco had retired Jagger, a German shepherd everyone called, “Jag,” last fall for medical reasons; Jag had been sick off and on at the time. At the time Jag was retired, he had been the department’s police dog for more than a decade, proving instrumental in more than 300 arrests, and collecting upwards of 15 awards and certificates. Vesco, Jag’s handler, continue to bring the dog to work on the midnight shift after retirement because his four-legged ex-partner would get restless at home and keep people awake. “The last couple of days, he just wasn’t himself,” Vesco said Thursday. Usually, when it was time to go to work, Jag would barrel out the door, Vesco said. But the night of Vesco’s midnight shift between Tuesday and Wednesday, Jag sat at the top of the stairs. Vesco had to coax him down, and when he tried to give him some water, Jag only had a sip. “He got unresponsive. He was shaking all night,” Vesco said. He checked on Jag frequently, afraid he wouldn’t make it, “but he kept holding on.” He later took Jag, who had a high temperature, to the Bolton Veterinary Hospital where, a short time later, he had to be put down. “He spent his last night at the police station. He was definitely happy, and never complained until the end,” Vesco said. Vesco said he’s been asked if he’s interested in taking on another police dog. The Police Department has two police dog slots, and when Jag retired, one slot was left open. And while Vesco might not be ready just yet, “There’s a good probability I’ll do it again,” he said. But having a canine partner involves more than just being given a dog. “It’s so much work,” Vesco said. In addition to regular police work on his part, a dog handler is responsible for a weekly certification workshop and seminar for the dog, training classes, medical classes, and liability classes. “On top of that — if you want to participate — there’s the K-9 Olympics,” Vesco said. In 2001, he and Jag came in second place overall.
A 'real good run' for Windsor police dog
By Kristen J. Tsetsi, Journal Inquirer
WINDSOR - In providing more than a decade of service to his community, Jagger suffered a brutal attack to his head, was nearly strangled to death, proved instrumental in more than 300 arrests, and collected upwards of 15 awards and certificates for his performance. Finally, at the ripe old age of 11, the German Shepherd dual-purpose police dog, affectionately known as "Jag," is ready to retire. Rather, his handler, Patrolman Steven Vesco, 38, is ready to retire Jag - who's been sick off and on - for medical reasons. "He'll probably get bored," Vesco said. "He'd still do the job, but it's like putting a 77-year-old man out on the street."  Jag, who will be 12 next month, is a patrol/narcotics dog, so he's been busy the past 10 years and 4 months specializing in drug sniffing and evidence recovery, as well as in suspect apprehension. The way Vesco tells it, Jag started small but managed to work his way into increasingly life-threatening situations. In March of 2000, Jag received the Merit Award for assisting in the apprehension of "a couple robbery suspects" who had been "stealing car stereos and robbing people in the street," Vesco said. "We sent Jag into the building, and he found a guy hiding in a closet on the third floor," Vesco said. Four years later, Jag earned a Distinguished Service Citation from the town of East Hartford for his role in another case, this one involving a suspect who, Vesco believes, used the butt of a gun to pound Jag's head. Repeatedly. "You could see something wrong with one of his eyes," Vesco said, recalling the day he spotted Jag backing out of an alleyway crawlspace. A bank robbery suspect had hidden himself there, beneath a wooden and concrete slab. When Vesco and others lifted the slab to expose the suspect, "That's when we saw the gun just sitting there." Once forced into the open, "It took 6 of us struggling with him after that" to contain the man. Vesco said the man was high on PCP. The worst, though, was a case in March 2006 involving a 6-foot-2, 300-pound mentally disturbed man. It took three officers 38 minutes to wrestle him into submission. Jag was initially sent in to engage the man and managed to get off a bite to the chest. Unfortunately, proximity didn't work in Jag's favor, and the man grabbed him and put him in a suffocating chokehold. Officers struggled to free Jag for close to 40 minutes, Vesco said. They hit the man. They used their sticks. Jag, too, struggled, kicking and squirming until "he was almost dead," Vesco said. "He was at the brink of unconsciousness" when the suspect released him. For that engagement, Vesco said, the town of Windsor awarded Jag the Departmental Citation Award on Oct. 18.  Jim Cortina, director of the Connecticut Police Work Dog Association where Jag was trained, said Jag has had "a real good run." "If you get seven to eight years" out of a dog, Cortina said, "that's the average." After retiring on Wednesday, Jag will continue to live with Vesco, and whether the Police Department - which currently has two canines (until Jag leaves) - will get another dog is "up in the air," Vesco said. He explained there are several determining factors the department considers with respect to acquiring police dogs, including who the dog's handler will be. The officer who handles the dog lives with the dog. "And I already have a dog," Vesco said.

Police K-9 teams from across state attend memorial - 4/17/08 - Connecticut

Police K-9 teams from across Connecticut attended a memorial service April 12 for two of their comrades, deceased K-9s Jag and Valor of the Windsor Police Department. Coming from far corners of the state, such as Stratford and Ledyard, cruisers marked "K-9" lined both sides of Broad Street. Forming an honor processessional on each side of the central pathway of the town green, K-9 teams with black bands across their badges lined the central path of the town green. Officers Steven Vesco and Amy Fiano of the WPD carried the ashes of their former K-9 partners along the honor processional and placed them on a draped table where flower petals where strewn and next to a headstone for Jag and Valor. Donated by the Ferraina family of Windsor, the headstone will be placed outside the Public Safety Complex. In memory, Vesco and Fiano saluted Jag and Valor. Both Jag and Valor had been retired after many years of service to Windsor. Jag died this year on March 26 and Valor died March 28, 2007. The memorial service for Jag and Valor also paid respect to the dedication of all police K-9 handlers and the special bond between officers and their K-9 partners. As well, the service memorialized police K-9s that passed without eulogy because it is rare for communities to host such a service. Serving as master of ceremonies, Officer Christopher Moylan of the Enfield Police Department K-9 unit indicated he hoped the memorial in Windsor will encourage other towns to hold similar services. "I hope this will have a domino effect," he said. WPD Detective Michele Neary, who helped Moylan organize the service, read from a poem written by Moylan, titled, "Heaven's Gate." An a cappella rendition of "Amazing Grace" sung by Moylan's wife brought many in the audience to tears. Officer Eric A. Rocheleau, of the West Hartford Police Department K-9 unit, praised Vesco and Fiano for the "spotless and unbelievable" reputation of the Windsor police K-9 unit. "People don't understand the bond an officer has with a K-9 partner, working double shifts - they don't complain," said Rocheleau," t he stress of putting them in harm's way, the thrill of the capture." Rocheleau went on to talk about the emotions for officers that are tied to retiring their K-9 partners and the depth of sorrow that comes when they die. Captain Thomas LePore of the WPD noted that Valor had been a Fidelco guide dog that proved to be too social for service with that organization. "So, Valor came to us," said LePore. Valor's disposition made the canine ideal for community relations, and Valor and Fiano became popular and much requested at school events, said LePore. In addition, he said, Valor and Fiano were well known in town and always welcomed while making their rounds by local businesspeople. At the time Fiano was paired with Valor in 1997, she was one of just a few female handlers in Connecticut. Serving from 1997 to 2004, Valor and Fiano were called out many times to search for subjects or drugs. WPD Captain Kelvan Kearse not only worked with Jag and Vesco in Windsor but also as commander of the regional SWAT team. "He was a pound dog," said Kearse. Yet, paired with Vesco from 1997 to 2007, Kearse said, Jag developed into a police K-9 that, in his opinion, was "second to none." Kearse said Jag was trained to such precision that he could be sent in pursuit by Vesco yelling, "go get him," but stop immediately in front of a suspect in a "bark and hold" position without biting, unless it became absolutely necessary. Kearse shared some humorous memories of Jag and Vesco, but said when it came to police work, the two were always serious. Vesco and Jag participated in hundreds of arrests and numerous physical apprehensions, he noted. Jag matured into a police K-9 with tracking skills so extraordinary, said Kearse, that once Jag and Vesco were on a suspect's trail it was just a matter of waiting to hear the inevitable message radioed in, "We got 'em." That held true, noted Kearse, until Jag's last day on the job. "Jag's presence will be missed," said Kearse. Addressing the group, Vesco thanked many people, especially his wife and children and the families of all K-9 team officers, for the sacrifice they endure in the face of their loved one's long hours of training and duty. If there is one piece of advice he could impart to other officers, Vesco said it is "trust your dog." Windsor Police Chief Kevin Searles said later that the memorial service was important. "It is important to reinforce the values so important to officers, to rekindle their sense of dedication to duty and the dedication of all officers to the mission of protecting the public," said Searles. As the ceremony came to a close, each K-9 team came forward to salute the memory of Jag and Valor. At Vesco's request, Officer Richard Boyle of the Manchester Police Department K-9 unit read the poem "Guardians of The Night." Author unknown, excerpts of the poem read: "Trust in me my friend for I am your comrade. I will protect you with my last breath when all others have left you And the loneliness of the night closes in, I will be at your side. Together we will conquer all obstacles, and search out those who might wish harm to others. "For a time, we were unbeatable. Nothing passed among us undetected. If we should meet again on another street, I will gladly take up your fight, I am a Police Working Dog, and together we are guardians of the night."  **The complete text of "Guardians of The Night" can be found on the Connecticut Police Work Dog Association Web site.    
New Partner, K9 IKO
K9 Iko is
from Tiekerhook Kennels which is located in the Netherlands. He was certified and started working with me in Oct. 08.  Iko is extremely loyal and is full of endless energy. He will be going through narcotic training in the spring of 09.

In Loving Memory of
prox: March 20, 2008
Handler: Const. Dan Joly

Belleville Police ( Canada )

Canine cop dies after surgery
Belleville police Const. Dan Joly has lost his partner. Jaeger, a German shepherd police service dog, died last week after complications following stomach surgery. "He was about eight-and-a-half (years old)," said Joly, who had gone through 16 weeks of training with Jaeger from the outset of the dog's career and worked with him since. "He was our service dog from 2002 until now." Joly said Jaeger was only a month or two from retirement when he fell ill suddenly. "It's a tough thing," he said. One dog works with one handler, and the pair were a team. Police dogs are used in a variety of ways, including sniffing out drugs, tracking missing people and suspects from scent taken off clothing and other items and helping out during drug raids. But Joly said he and Jaeger really enjoyed meeting the public. "We did hundreds of appearances," the constable said, including at schools and service clubs. "The people enjoyed seeing him. He was always very good." Because Jaeger was near retirement, Joly went through training with another German Shepherd, Diablo, and that dog joined the service in August 2007. He is Joly's new partner. But there was only one Jaeger and he and Joly had grown as close as possible, a bond only a dog lover would understand. "It's extremely difficult," Joly said of Jaeger's death. submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
March 13, 2008
-----    --
Handler: Officer Mike Serio
Salt Lake City Police Department
 Public Safety Complex
315 East 200 South   email
Salt Lake City, Utah 84111

All Non-Emergencies in Salt Lake City - Call 799-3000 - General Police Information / Desk Officer - Call 799-3100 - General Police Information / Pioneer Precinct - Call 799-4600

J.J., the Salt Lake City Police Department’s first bloodhound, was diagnosed over a year ago with a malignant melanoma in his mouth. He was handled by K9 Officer Mike Serio for almost nine years. J.J. underwent aggressive treatment in New York City, to not only save his life, but also to prolong his career as a Police Service Dog. J.J. and Officer Serio are responsible for the apprehension of close to 300 wanted people during J.J.’s almost nine years of service to the Police Department. Since he was first diagnosed with cancer, J.J. has apprehended close to 50 suspects, with his longest track reaching almost three miles. J.J. is one of three bloodhounds to work with the Salt Lake City Police Department. His handler pioneered the bloodhound urban tracking program in Utah. Due to the success of this program, the Salt Lake City Police Department has since added two more bloodhounds to their K9 team. Since that time two other Salt Lake Valley agencies have added bloodhounds to their K9 teams, and others are looking to follow suit. K9 Officer Mike Serio appreciates the support J.J. has received over the past year from the media and members of the community. At this time he would appreciate his privacy.
'JJ,' the SLPD's criminal catching bloodhound dies of cancer
"JJ" could be heard from blocks away, howling that he was on the trail of a wanted criminal. It became his trademark, putting a wanted man on notice that the Salt Lake City Police Department's infamous criminal catching bloodhound was hot on his trail. In his storied 9-year career, JJ had nearly 300 apprehensions.  Officers are mourning the death of the department's first-ever bloodhound, who died from a rare and aggressive form of cancer that was first diagnosed in late 2006.  "JJ's health declined during the past couple of weeks, and his handler recently discovered that his cancer had returned," Salt Lake City Police detective Jeff Bedard said in a statement Friday. "In the early morning hours of Thursday ... JJ succumbed to his cancer."  JJ was handled by Salt Lake City Police Officer Mike Serio for the past nine years. Serio and JJ pioneered the use of bloodhounds in urban environments in Utah. Once, JJ tracked a wanted criminal for close to three miles. He was also used to help find missing children. JJ's success led Salt Lake City police to add two more bloodhounds to their K9 team. Two other Salt Lake-area police departments have also adopted bloodhounds for use in law enforcement.  To save the dog and prolong his career as a police K9, JJ was sent to New York City to undergo aggressive cancer treatments. Even after being diagnosed with cancer, Salt Lake City police said JJ apprehended nearly 50 suspects.  Serio did not wish to comment publicly on the death of JJ, police said.  "K9 Officer Mike Serio appreciates the support JJ has received over the past year from the media and  members of the community," Bedard said.
By Ben Winslow - Deseret Morning News

Published: Friday, March 14, 2008 2:44 p.m. MDT - E-mail:
ubmitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA