Memorials to Fallen K-9s
The F.A.S.T. Co. donates sets of memorial cards to all partners 
 I need your help to inform me of such losses.
Dept. addresses available for those who want to send condolences to officers. See below

Baker Memorial
 (above 2003... to be moved to 2003)

In Loving Memory of
Maine Warden Service K9 Unit Memorials

Buddy Memorial

In Loving Memory of
November 20, 2007
Handler:  Eric Bailey

Granite City Police Department
 Chief of Police Richard E Miller 
2330 Madison Avenue 
Granite City, Illinois 62040-4775 
Non-emergency: (618)451-9760 

Born: June 3, 1998
April 2000 - Started street patrol with handler, Eric Bailey,for Cahokia, IL PD.
August 2005 - Retired from Cahokia PD, the K9 department was eliminated.
June 2006 - Blek returned to street patrol with handler who began work with Granite City PD.
2007 - attended the USPCA National PD, 1 certification in FL
(scored high enough to earn a National Certification despite showing early signs of illness)
Nov.20, 2007 - K9 Blek had to be euthanized due to complications of cancer found in his liver.
Accomplishments - Awards
Several top 10 finishes in the Region 16 USPCA PD 1 Trials including a 4th place overall finished
in 2007 Several USPCA Patrol Catch of the quarter awards:
(2) "Outstanding K9 Service Awards" in 2004 from teh German Shepherd Dog Club of St. Louis
for Tracking and Suspect Apprehension.
(1)  1st place awared in 2004 from the German Shepherd Dog Club of St. Louis for Handler Protection.

Numerours drug / weapon finds:
(21) Street Apprehensions of suspects.
Numerous other apprehensions without a bite (suspect gives up after K9 presence or announcement).
2007 USPCA Region 16 Patrol Catch of the Year for a track and apprehension of a suspect 
which cleared (4) vehicle burglaries.

Blek was the most loyal and loving companion I've ever had.  Everyone who met Blek, loved him (except the criminals, that is!)  He touched the lives of many people and that is apparent by the emails, cards, letters, phone calls, and flowers we received.  He was my partner, and a member of my family.  He was my best friend for 8 years.  "Blek" we miss you every single day, but I will try to focus on the happiness you brought to my life and my family.  Rest in peace my friend.  I will look forward to meeting up with ou again someday.
submitted by Eric

In Loving Memory of
November 9, 2007-
Handler:  Deputy Kevin Johnson
Oklahoma County Sheriff Department
ph: 405 713.1000

K-9 Deputy killed during Stop
An Oklahoma County Sheriff's Department K9 was killed early today while pursuring a man who ran from 
officers after a stop at Interstate 35 & I-44. K-9 Brisco, a 6 year old Dutch German shepherd, died when 
he was struck by a pick-up as he was chasing the man, department spokesman, Mark Myers said. It is just a tragic event, particularily for his handler, the driver (of pickup) didn't see him until it was too late.  It happened about 4:30 a.m. when deputies pulled over a sport utility vehicle. There were three people in the SUV and one was acting suspicious. When deputies got the three out of the SUV, one took off eastbound over I-35.  Brisco's handler, Deputy Kevin Johnson, saw there was no traffic at the time and released his K-9 dupty partner.  He ran after the suspect and when he crossed the northbound lanes, he was hit by the pickup.  The man who fled was captured.  He was identified by sheriff's  deputies as Wilkin Herrera, 27, of Pennsylvania.  Myers said Herrera was wanted on several felony drug warrants in his home state.  Myers said a small amount of marijuana was found in the SUV. In addition to the warrants, Herrera was arrested on complaints of obstructing justice, possession of marijuana, escape, resisting arrenst and killing a police K9.  The driver of the SUV, Robyn Roberets, 21, was arrested on complaints of obstructing justice, possession of marijuana, haroring a fugitive and driving under suspension.  The other passenger, Rico M. Wilkins, 29, was arrested on complaints of obstructing justice, harboring a fugitive and possession of  marijuana.  Myers said Johnson and Brisco had been together "24 hours a day" for 3 years, ever  since the dog, secured through a $9,500 grant from Milkbone, joined the department.  The  pickup driver was not injured and will not be charged with an offense.  There wasn't anything he could do.
 This is really tough on Kevin, but it is hard on all of us.  
ubmitted by Jim Cortina 

In Loving Memory of
October 26, 2007

Handler: Sgt. Bruce Franks
 Prophetstown Police Department
339 Washington Street
Prophetstown, IL 61277 -  (815) 537-5598 

Prophetstown town's beloved nose-y police dog put to rest 
Bullet might have seemed a odd pick for a police dog. As a chocolate Labrador who was true to his kind, he carried an enthusiasm for all things that only can be described as borderline deranged joy. Friend and foe would be greeted the same, tail whipping and wagging with disregard. He never was meant to be one of those police dogs that chased down foes, growling and snapping them into submission, and he wasn’t. The Prophetstown Police Department wanted Bullet for his nose. The dog was trained to sniff out cocaine, methamphetamine, cannabis and LSD and to track fleeing suspects or missing persons. For five years, that's what the dog did. Last Friday, Sgt. Bruce Franks, his handler, made the difficult decision to put his partner to rest. The dog was sick and suffering from tumors. "It was the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean it was the easy thing to do," Sgt. Franks said. "I hoped he would make it through the year because of the kids and all, but I could tell that just wasn't going to be in the cards." Bullet came on duty May 13, 1996. The police department raised $7,687 from the community to buy the dog and pay for Sgt. Franks' training and certification as a handler. One night after a council meeting, Sgt. Franks silenced a few disbelievers by having Bullet find a quarter hidden by the aldermen in the council chambers and then upped the ante by flipping a coin into a nearby field. Bullet, as Sgt. Franks can tell you, had something of a nose. "When we would get to work, you could hear his nose just popping," Sgt. Franks said. "He was a good dog." The community's sixth-grade DARE class named him Bullet. He was an immediate hit with the kids in classrooms, maybe a little less popular on the streets around town. "We got a few arrests," Sgt. Franks said. "There's a few people around town who probably didn't like to see him coming." Ald. Bill Uhler once called him his favorite city employee. "Doesn't whine or complain, and he gets paid in dog food," Sgt. Franks recalled Ald. Uhler saying. One night, Sgt. Franks was called out to the interstate, where a state trooper had pulled over a suspect. "We got to the scene and (the trooper) said the guy was acting hinky," Sgt. Franks said. "He searched the car but couldn't find anything. I got Bullet into the back seat and bang, he hit on the rear seat. “I pulled him out of there, and the trooper stuck his hands into where the two parts of the seat meet up and he came out with nothing. He asked me, 'You sure about this?' I got Bullet back in and bang, he hit right there on the seat again. “The trooper was kind of looking at me and I crawled into the back seat and stuffed my hands in as far as I could go and pulled out a big bundle of bills. That trooper couldn't believe it. The (suspect's) eyes got big and he started saying, 'That's not mine, that's not mine.'" Bullet retired in May 2001, after five years of service. The dog suffered occasional seizures that were costly to treat. The department decided not to replace him. He was sent to live out his life with Sgt. Franks and his family, and that's what he did. submitted by Jim Cortina, CPWDA
******* and more about BULLET
P-town's beloved nose-y police dog put to rest
By Todd Welvaert, - 
Chicago Tube & Iron
Bullet might have seemed a odd pick for a police dog.
As a chocolate Labrador who was true to his kind, he carried an enthusiasm for all things that only can be described as borderline deranged joy. Friend and foe would be greeted the same, tail whipping and wagging with disregard. He never was meant to be one of those police dogs that chased down foes, growling and snapping them into submission, and he wasn’t.  The Prophetstown Police Department wanted Bullet for his nose. The dog was trained to sniff out cocaine, methamphetamine, cannabis and LSD and to track fleeing suspects or missing
persons. For five years, that's what the dog did.  Last Friday, Sgt. Bruce Franks, his handler, made the difficult decision to put his partner to rest. The dog was sick and suffering from tumors.  "It was the right thing to do, but that doesn't mean it was the easy thing to do," Sgt. Franks said. "I hoped he would make it through the year because of the kids and all, but I could tell that just wasn't going to be in the cards."  Bullet came on duty May 13, 1996. The police department raised $7,687 from the community to buy the dog and pay for Sgt. Franks' training and certification as a handler.  One night after a council meeting, Sgt. Franks silenced a few disbelievers by having Bullet find a quarter hidden by thealdermen in the council chambers and then upped the ante by flipping a coin into a nearby field. Bullet, as Sgt. Franks can tell you, had something of a nose.  "When we would get to work, you could hear his nose just popping," Sgt. Franks said. "He was a good dog."  The community's sixth-grade DARE class named him Bullet. He was an immediate hit with the kids in classrooms, maybe a little less popular on the streets around town. We got a few arrests," Sgt. Franks said. "There's a few people around town who probably didn't like to see him coming."  Ald. Bill Uhler once called him his favorite city employee. "Doesn't whine or complain, and he gets paid in dog food," Sgt.Franks recalled Ald. Uhler saying.  One night, Sgt. Franks was called out to the interstate,where a state trooper had pulled over a suspect.  "We got to the scene and (the trooper) said the guy was acting hinky," Sgt. Franks said. "He searched the car but couldn't find anything. I got Bullet into the back seat and bang, he hit on the rear seat.  “I pulled him out of there, and the trooper stuck his hands into where the two parts of the seat meet up and he came out with nothing. He asked me, 'You sure about this?' I got Bullet back in and bang, he hit right there on the seat again.  “The trooper was kind of looking at me and I crawled into the back seat and stuffed my hands in as far as I could go and pulled out a big bundle of bills. That trooper couldn't believe it. The (suspect's) eyes got big and he started saying, 'That's not mine, that's not mine.'"  Bullet retired in May 2001, after five years of service. The dog suffered occasional seizures that were costly to treat. The department decided not to replace him.He was sent to live out his life with Sgt. Franks and his family, and that's what he did. 

In Loving Memory of 
October 12, 2007

Handler: Detective Mark Criscuolo
Bergen County Sheriff's Department 
10 Main Street
Hackensack, New Jersey 07601 
(201) 646-2200 

Bergen K-9 Buddy was a 9/11 veteran 
For a sleuth who spent his lifetime searching for the dead, Buddy the German shepherd was still plenty frisky -- a "100-pound lapdog," say the Bergen County sheriff's officers who handled him. "He just wanted to play. He had a kind heart," said his handler, Detective Mark Criscuolo. "But he also had a job just like you or me." For 10 years, Buddy was the go-to canine given the most gruesome of jobs: sniffing out human remains. Until he was euthanized one week ago due to an incurable spine ailment, he was one of only three cadaver-sniffers in New Jersey. He left behind a resume that is literally seven pages long -- and includes an infamous date.
The morning of Sept. 11, 2001, Criscuolo and Buddy raced in a Sheriff's Department van to the World Trade Center, arriving just after the second tower crumbled. Criscuolo parked at a nearby high school and made the heart-thumping march to the carnage. "The smell was already there," Criscuolo said. "For Buddy, it was overwhelming." Dogs have a sense of smell 200,000 times greater than humans, experts say. Buddy led Criscuolo to several bodies over four 12-hour days, even as the determined hound breathed the same dusty air that has led to so many human ailments. "He did a good job," said sheriff's Capt. Michael Bradley, who oversees K-9 training. "It's odd to say, but he did good." Overall, Buddy worked 53 cases throughout the region for the Sheriff's Department, ranging from the search for the body of a suicide victim who jumped off the Palisades in 1999 to a 26-day hunt last year for a missing college student in a Pennsylvania landfill. A crane operator later found the remains. "I'm always amazed by these dogs," Sheriff Leo P. McGuire said. "We're talking about dogs that help families get their loved ones back." Buddy wasn't considered a workaholic, though. Big and especially loyal for his already-faithful breed, he loved pizza -- all kinds. He slept on the Criscuolos' living room couch. The family always kept a stash of tennis balls ready for him to rip to shreds. He was also great with the Criscuolos' kids. Once, as Buddy slept at the foot of the stairs, their 2-year-old son accidentally stomped on his genitals. Flustered yet under control, Buddy simply stood up and walked away. "If that was us, there's no way we'd act like that," Criscuolo said, laughing.  In his final months, Buddy had a roommate of sorts -- Harley, another shepherd who became his successor at the Sheriff's Department. They got along, but Criscuolo said it was more a matter of Buddy tolerating the younger, more chipper pooch. In the end, however, it was a painful spine ailment that brought the veteran down. His handlers don't know the scientific terminology -- nor do they really want to know. They do recall that after Buddy was officially retired this spring, one of his legs began dragging whenever he walked, followed by another leg a few months later. Then he began falling down stairs at home. "There's a special bond with police partners," McGuire said. "Even more so in this case, because people rely on their animals as a social outlet, for affection and a love that is so pure. Buddy was a tremendous asset to law enforcement and more." Last Friday night, after waiting as long as he felt Buddy could bear, Criscuolo brought him to the Oradell Animal Hospital in Paramus. There, veterinarians pushed a needle into Buddy's hindquarters and introduced a dose of pentobarbital, an anesthetic to put Buddy to sleep. The next dose stopped his heart. "It was two big things of blue liquid and one small thing of clear liquid," Criscuolo said on Thursday, tearing up. The detective was unable to say how he felt at that moment. Bradley, his captain, spoke on Criscuolo's behalf. "Crushed," he said.  submitted by Jim Cortinia, dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
K-9 BO
Handler: Officer Scott Johnson
Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department
50 N. Alabama St.
Indianapolis, IN 46204  PH: 317 327.3811

More than a dozen solemn police officers watched inside a courtroom Wednesday as a man was sentenced for fatally shooting one of their own. Bo, an 8-year-old police dog, died at the end of an episode that began when Clinton Drew Hernandez, 21, burglarized a house on Indianapolis' Southeastside. Hernandez pleaded guilty in Marion Superior Court to seven of the 10 charges against him, including burglary and interfering with a law enforcement animal. He was sentenced to 20 years in prison. In May, Hernandez led police on a 14-minute car chase, then took off on foot after abandoning his sport utility vehicle in a field. Bo latched onto his leg, and he shot the dog. Bo chased the man another block until the dog's partner, Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department Officer Scott Johnson , shot Hernandez. Bo died in his partner's arms. "It's just like it happened yesterday," Johnson said after the hearing. Johnson has gone through training with a new partner, Tex, also a Belgian Malinois. But he misses his partner of five years. Johnson did not testify, but he attended the hearing with his parents, members of IMPD's K9 unit and other officers who wanted to show support. Deputy Prosecutor Brian Poindexter asked Hernandez several times why he grabbed the handgun from the seat of his red Chevy Blazer when the foot chase began. Hernandez said he didn't know. "He picked up the gun because these people were after him," Poindexter said later, pointing to the officers in the gallery. "Bo served his purpose. He protected his handler." Magistrate Amy Barbar gave Hernandez the maximum prison term possible under his plea agreement, plus four years' probation. She said Hernandez's remorse rang hollow and added that he was lucky his injuries were not life-threatening. "It either shows full control on the part of officer Johnson or his complete emotional upset (at the dog's injury) that you're still alive.  
 submitted by Brian Faulk & Jim Cortina


Man Gets 20 Yrs for Killing Police Dog

INDIANAPOLIS – A convicted felon Clinton Hernandez - has been sentenced to 20 years in prison for the shooting death of a police dog. On May 12th Officer Scott Johnson and his partner Bo – An eight year old Belgian Malinois – were in the process of responding to a burglary when they noticed a suspicious vehicle. The driver attempted to flee and the officers began a pursuit which would end up on foot.Hernandez- a 21 year old Indianapolis native – shot the dog when it had bit him on the leg. Officer Johnson then shot Hernandez in the hip and leg. Added to the charge of interfering with a law enforcement animal are ten counts of burglary, to which Hernandez pleaded guilty.Do you think the punishment fit the crime or is 20 years too much?Tell us what you think. Post your opinions and comments under this story. What to share your pet story submit video at the zootoo tv tab or you can email us at or call 877-777-4204

In Loving Memory of
August 6, 2007

Handler: Officer Shane Spencer
Tompkins County Sheriff's Office
 Public Safety Building 
779 Warren Road
Ithaca, NY - 14850 | Phone: 607-257-1345

Sheriff's office mourns death of canine Bojar  - By Raymond Drumsta - Journal Staff
 Deputy and K-9 officer Shane Spencer still talks about Bojar — the 8-year-old German shepherd that worked with him at the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office — in the present tense.  “It's like it hasn't sunk in yet,” he said. “I still look for him in the car and in his kennel.”  Cayuga Medical Center at Ithaca Recently stricken with agonizing, rupturing tumors, Bojar died on Aug. 6, and Spencer, along with the sheriff's office, is mourning his passing. That's the part that hasn't sunk in, yet, said Spencer, and it's a far cry from the robust, keen, dutiful yet tender canine that came to work with him in 2001. Bojar — pronounced ‘Bo-yar', which means “black dog” in Czechoslovakian — was, with Spencer, one half of the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office's K-9 unit. “Bojar and his handler, Deputy Shane Spencer, were the first K-9 unit deployed with the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office in over 20 years,” Sheriff Peter Meskill said in recent statement. “Bojar and Deputy Spencer provided countless demonstrations to the public and conducted many drug and building searches as well as assisted in looking for lost persons and suspects who fled a criminal scene during his years of service to Tompkins County.”  Born in Czechoslovakia in 1999, Bojar was picked by the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office from a group of dogs acquired by the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office, Spencer said. Bojar was chosen over a more aggressive dog, which eventually went to the Troy Police Department, he said.  Spencer said he was a bit nervous when he met Bojar for the first time. Bojar, though, rolled over when Spencer knelt to pet him, Spencer recalled — a clear invitation to have his belly scratched and a sign of Bojar's great temperament.  Bojar displayed that temperament to children in countless demonstrations at schools and other community events, Spencer said. “Bojar has touched a lot of hearts,” he said. As the sheriff's K-9 unit, he and Bojar trained together — and were graded together — at the Onondaga County Sheriff's Office canine school, Spencer said. The pair went through and passed five weeks of narcotics school, 10 weeks of patrol school, and met and surpassed a 16-hour-per-month state training requirement, he added. Through training and working together, man and dog learned each other's rhythms, Spencer said. “I knew everything about that dog, and he knew everything about me,” he said. In addition to sniffing out drugs, Bojar was adept at tracking lost children, people with Alzheimer's disease who'd gone missing and felony suspects, Spencer said. He was trained, he said, to attack only if he was being attacked. An invaluable law-enforcement asset, Spencer said, Bojar could flush suspects, including burglars, from thick underbrush — by simply snarling. “People surrendered because of Bojar,” he said. Despite racking up more than 30 of these “give-ups,” Bojar never bit anyone, he said.  In addition to working numerous drug busts, including two joint law-enforcement efforts in Western New York, Bojar assisted agencies such as the Schuyler County Sheriff's Office and police departments from Ithaca, Horseheads and Elmira, Spencer said. To ensure drug-free environments, schools in Newfield, Enfield, Dryden and Trumansburg called on Bojar to sniff for narcotics on their grounds, Spencer said. Vigilant while on duty, Bojar was his partner, Spencer said, watching his movements during traffic stops and other incidents. Bojar “went bonkers,” he added, if he left the house in the K-9 vehicle without him. “He protected me, and I protected him,” he said.  Bojar was with him always, he said. “He went home with me,” Spencer said. “If I wasn't working he was right there with me.” But as he was leaving the house one day recently, Bojar didn't go crazy as he normally did, Spencer said, and that's when he knew something was wrong. “He just came out and lay down,” he said. He immediately took him to the College of Veterinary Medicine at Cornell University, where Bojar was found to have a ruptured spleen caused by a tumor, Spencer said. During surgery to remove the spleen, doctors discovered other tumors in Bojar's body, he added. Other than to make Bojar comfortable with medicines, Spencer said, there was little the doctors could do. “He was definitely in a lot of pain,” Spencer said. It was that pain, and the other tumors causing more internal bleeding, that forced the decision to have Bojar put down, Spencer said. “The longest, saddest thing I've ever done was to drive my partner to the hospital to have him put to sleep,” he said. “Bojar was a great asset to the Tompkins County Sheriff's Office as well as countless other agencies in Tompkins and the surrounding counties,” Meskill said. “His friendly, affectionate attitude made him a hit with young and old alike. His service was invaluable to the Sheriff's Office and the public we serve and he will be missed by all.” While the sheriff's office plans to continue their K-9 unit, Spencer said he is searching for an appropriate urn to hold Bojar's ashes and memorialize him. “He will be in my heart and mind forever,” Spencer said. “He was a member of my family, and we will miss him.” 
submitted by Renee' Konias

In Loving Memory of
April 30, 2007

 Cook County Jail
On April 30, retired Summit K-9 Buddy passed away from health complications. He was 13 years old. Buddy started out as someone’s pet and was donated to Cook County Forest Preserve Police k-9 Training Center where he was paired up with an officer from Cook County jail. He worked at the jail for two years until his handler was injured and went of disability. In July of 1995, Officer Dubinka and Buddy were teamed up and trained for six weeks at Cook County Jail. In September of 1995, Dubinka and Buddy then trained at the Cook County Forest Preserve District K-9 Training Center. Dubinka became a State Certified K-9 Handler and Buddy as a Patrol Dog. In December of that year, Buddy trained in article search, person search and handler protection. Buddy was also certified in narcotics and tracking. Within his first few weeks on the Summit Police Department, Buddy had his first currency seizure of several hundred dollars. His first narcotics seizure was 81 pounds of marijuana hidden in the body of a pick-up bed that had to be air-chiseled open to retrieve it. Buddy also discovered two hidden compartments in the accomplice’s vehicle, in a compartment containing six pounds of marijuana. Both vehicles were seized.  In 1997, Buddy scored number one in Narcotics Certification and had the fastest time in search out of a group of more than 20 certified K-9 dogs from all over the state of Illinois. Buddy’s largest drug seizure was 2,210 pounds of marijuana stashed in hidden compartments in specialty made furniture. The furniture had to be disassembled to retrieve the drugs for the trailer it was shipped in. His largest currency seizure was more than $800,000 for the D.E.A. Buddy also assisted in apprehending several armed robbers and burglars. He was recognized five times with special awards by the United State Police Canine Association. Buddy’s total amount of currency seizure was approximately $3 million and the total narcotics seized just over to and a half tons. Buddy retired in January 1, 2004 after ten years in law enforcement. 
submitted by Renee' Konias

In Loving Memory of
August 13, 2007

Handler: Sgt. Tom Lovejoy 
Chandler Police Department
250 East Chicago Street
Chandler, Arizona 85225
Ph:(480) 782-4130
Mailing Address:
 Mail Stop 303 - PO Box 4008
Chandler, Arizona 85244-4008

K-9 dog dies after being left in hot patrol car
Eugene Scott - The Arizona Republic - Aug. 13, 2007 04:59 PM
A Chandler police dog that died after his handler left him unattended in a hot patrol car was in the vehicle more than 12 hours before being discovered. Sgt. Tom Lovejoy discovered the body of Bandit, his 5-year-old Belgian Malinois, about 10 p.m. Saturday night. He parked the car at his home about 9:15 a.m. that day after working an extra duty assignment early Saturday morning, police said. "When he arrived home, (Lovejoy) was out of his routine. And while getting mixed up in everyday stuff,he forgot about the car," said Sgt. Rick Griner, a Chandler police spokesman. Griner said that shortly after entering his home, Lovejoy was told his teenage son had been in a car accident and the car was totaled. Griner did not have information on whether Lovejoy's son was injured, but said the car accident may have distracted Lovejoy - head of the department's K-9 unit - and caused him to forget his dog, who would not have normally been with him on the extra duty shift. The decision was made to include the dog on Lovejoy's patrol given several recent high profile incidents, including the Chandler serial rapist case. A preliminary investigation shows the dog, who was with the department more than four years, died from extreme heat. This incident is under investigation and will be handled internally, Griner said. Lovejoy, a 15-year veteran, was not put on leave and returned to work Monday. Griner said no disciplinary action has been taken and will not happen unless an investigation determines the actions were reckless or intentional. "This is his worst punishment right now. He's very emotional," Griner said. "This incident was because of negligence; by accident." Russ Hess, executive director of the United States Police Canine Association, said an investigation needed to be completed, but added, "there's no excuse. There sure is a lack of judgment there."  Griner said Lovejoy's family is taking Bandit's death hard. The dog lived with the Lovejoys the entire time he was with the department. While police dogs that die in the line of duty are usually given high-profile funerals, Griner said the department will likely have a private, memorial service for Bandit. Two other Valley police departments also lost K-9 earlier this year - one in a similar incident. In March, a Phoenix police dog was rushed to a veterinarian after being left in an unmarked police vehicle without ventilation. Authorities said the car was idling at the time, but the air-conditioning may have malfunctioned. The handler and clinic employees decided to euthanize Top, a 5-year-old black Labrador, the following day. The same month the Mesa Police Department had a 2-year-old Belgian Malinois die while the dog was chasing a suspect after the dog was struck by a vehicle on Main Street near Lindsay Road.
****** Police Report *****
Chandler Police K-9 Found Dead
 UPDATE:August 13, 2007
Contact: Sergeant Rick Griner - Public Information Officer
 The Chandler Police Department is saddened by the un-expected loss of one of its K-9’s, 
Bandit a Belgian Malinois. Bandit was discovered deceased by his handler Sergeant Tom Lovejoy on Saturday August 11th. Upon completing a duty assignment and returning to his residence, Lovejoy unintentionally left Bandit in his patrol vehicle. Lovejoy found Bandit later in the day when he returned to his vehicle. Preliminary information indicates that Bandit succumbed to the extreme heat of the day. The Chandler Police Department is conducting an investigation regarding the circumstances surrounding this tragic event. A photo of Bandit is attached. For further information contact Sergeant Rick Griner.  -END
Chandler Police K-9 Investigation Update  For Immediate Release - Tuesday August 14, 2007
CHANDLER, AZ. After discussion of the circumstances of the incident involving the loss of Chandler Police K-9 Bandit, and the fact that it occurred in an unincorporated area under the jurisdiction of the County, the Chandler Police Department contacted the Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office to notify them of the incident.  The MCSO will conduct a criminal investigation into this incident while the Chandler Police Department completes the internal investigation. Sergeant Tom Lovejoy is currently on administrative leave. Until the completion of the investigative process, it is not appropriate for the department to make any further comments.

Chandler Police Chief Releases Statement -Update For Immediate Release - Wednesday August 15, 2007
“The Chandler Police Department appreciates the concerns expressed by citizens regarding the tragic incident involving Sergeant Tom Lovejoy and his K-9 Bandit. This is a very difficult time and I clearly recognize the responsibility we have to thoroughly review this incident and respond appropriately.  I assure you, the decisions we make will be based on a review of the entire circumstances of this incident.”
Chief Sherry Kiyler  -  Chandler Police Department
date: Sept. 2007  The Chandler police sergeant whose K-9 died after being left in his patrol car was booked into jail today and faces misdemeanor animal cruelty charges. 
Sgt. Tom Lovejoy was booked into jail in Mesa earlier this afternoon. The Maricopa County Sheriff’s Office is recommending one charge of animal cruelty. Lovejoy could face up to six months in jail and a fine of $1,200 if he is found guilty. “Our investigation determined that Bandit's death was not an intentional act on Lovejoy's part,” Sheriff Joe Arpaio said, “but it was reckless and for that, Lovejoy must be charged.” The sheriff's investigation shows Bandit was in the patrol car from 9 a.m. to 10:10 p.m. on Aug. 11. During that time, Lovejoy was running errands for his children, napping, then dining out with his wife. Police Chief Sherry Kiyler released a statement Wednesday: “The Chandler Police Department was informed today that the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office has completed its criminal investigation regarding Sgt. Tom Lovejoy and the death of K9 Bandit and that misdemeanor charges have been filed. As a department, we respect and support the criminal justice systems and processes in place. We remain saddened by the loss of K9 Bandit. At this time our internal investigation is continuing and further comment by our department would be inappropriate until the completion of this process.” submitted by Renee' Konias & Jim Cortina
update Jan. 2008
Legal fight in K9 death targets deaths of Sheriff's dogs
Chandler police sergeant whose K-9 died in a hot patrol car this summer hopes his own animal abuse case can be dismissed by shedding light on the dog deaths of the agency that arrested him. Counsel for Sgt. Tom Lovejoy filed a motion in court Wednesday saying he will try to prove unfair treatment by the Maricopa County Sheriff's Office, which "treated its own employees better than it treated Sgt. Lovejoy under similar circumstances," including the deaths of three Sheriff's K-9s, the court document shows.
Lovejoy was arrested Sept. 5 by Maricopa County Sheriff's deputies on suspicion of reckless animal abuse, after he forgot Bandit, a 5-year-old Belgian Malinois dog, in his patrol car Aug. 11 for more than 12 hours.
Sheriff Joe Arpaio held a press conference the day of Lovejoy's arrest, saying: "I am certain Sergeant Lovejoy has suffered greatly from leaving his dog in a sweltering car . . . I do not relish the idea of compounding his sadness. However, Lovejoy must be treated like anyone else in similar circumstances."
Lovejoy attorney Robert Kavanagh filed a public records request with the Sheriff's Office in October and again in December for several documents including agency and veterinary records of the Office's dogs - Ranger, Dax and Brando - who died while in deputy care.  Kavanagh wrote Wednesday that the Office had not mailed the records, which cost his client nearly $1,000 in clerical fees, until Tuesday and requested more time to analyze the findings and file a motion to dismiss Lovejoy's case. The Sheriff's Office on Thursday released three requested dog death reports, concluding:
• Ranger, a Bloodhound, died on Dec. 26, 2006 from acute respiratory failure after battling Valley Fever.
• Dax, a Belgian Malinois, died Sept. 13, 2000 after a reported fall from a kennel.
• Brando, a German Shepherd, died on Aug. 9, 2004 from heat exhaustion, the case most similar to Bandit. Sheriff's Sgt. Joseph McLemore left Brando in a shaded kennel with a full water supply at 5:30 p.m., but when McLemore returned at 8:10 p.m., he found the dog lying in his kennel, dead. The temperature that day rose to 112 degrees.
Kavanagh could not be reached by phone Thursday and Lovejoy said he couldn't comment on the case.
Lovejoy's counsel believes the Sheriff's Office K-9 records will open up other avenues for the case, such as witnesses and records, according to the court motion. Lovejoy wants to dismiss the case by proving "selective enforcement" on part of the Sheriff's Office - that they arrested Lovejoy on suspicion of reckless animal abuse but did not arrest their own deputies in what Lovejoy and his attorney believe is a similar circumstance.
Joey Hamby, a criminal defense attorney not involved in the Lovejoy case, said this type of defense may have some merit. "I wouldn't care if it was heat exhaustion with a car or a kennel, if this is a dog that died from the same reasons under the Sheriff's care, as a defense attorney that would raise some red flags," Hamby said. Hamby said the Lovejoy camp is trying to prove a double standard, and although a judge wouldn't give as much weight to another case that is brought into question, "a bias, motive or prejudice" would always be relevant. Arpaio said Thursday the circumstances were not the same and Brando was left with enough water in a kennel, not a car, and for two to three hours.
"I don't understand why you go back to someone else's situation," Arpaio said. "You ought to be addressing current charges. Bandit was left in a vehicle unattended, so I'm not going to argue the current case to what (Lovejoy) is saying happened years and years ago to one dog in the Sheriff's department . . . apples and oranges." Lovejoy is scheduled for a status conference on Jan. 30.

In Loving Memory of
June 23, 2007

Handler: Officer Chris Cameron
El Segundo Police Department
348 Main Street
El Segundo, CA 90245  - (310) 524-2255 or 2200

At roughly 2:10 am, while driving home after his shift, K-9 Officer Kenny McShane discovered two deceased dogs that appeared to have been hit by an unknown vehicle in the area of El Segundo Boulevard and Oregon Street. After stopping his police unit and upon closer inspection, Officer McShane tragically recognized both dogs as belonging to his friend and co-worker, El Segundo K-9 Officer Chris Cameron. The first dog was identified as Officer Cameron’s partner and Police Canine, Basco. The second dog was Officer Cameron’s personal pet, Bailey. Officer Cameron has been a K-9 officer for nearly one year and a Police Officer with the Department for over 5 years. Both Basco and Bailey lived with Officer Cameron in his El Segundo home. It appears that Basco and Bailey, who were seen in Officer Cameron’s backyard a little after midnight, managed to break through a secured chain-link kennel fence and wander away. Both dogs, which were extremely close, remained together and appeared to have both been struck by the same vehicle shortly before being discovered on El Segundo Boulevard by Officer McShane. Basco, a 7 _ year old Dutch Shepherd, served the El Segundo Police Department for 5 years. Officer Cameron happily inherited his partner, when Basco’s first handler was selected for another special assignment. During his service, Basco conducted over 160 narcotic and suspect searches, which resulted in the seizure of over 100 kilos of cocaine, over $200,000 in narcotic tainted currency, and the recovery of a loaded handgun that was
used in the commission of a violent robbery.  Bailey, a 4 year old mixed Border Collie, was rescued by Officer Cameron when he found Bailey abandoned at the El Segundo dog park. Bailey was only 6 weeks old when Officer Cameron came to his rescue. Both Basco and Bailey were family to Officer Cameron and he is devastated by this loss. The El Segundo Police Department is saddened by this tragedy and anyone with information regarding this incident is requested to contact the El Segundo Police Department at (310) 524-2255 or 2200.
No services are planned but you may make donations to: 
El Segundo Police Department K-9 Trust Fund
 Lieutenant Ray Garcia
donations to the El Segundo Police Department K-9 Trust Fund 
 to Lieutenant Ray Garcia
, made payable to “The El Segundo Police Department”,
348 Main Street, El Segundo, CA 90245 
submitted by Renee Konias & Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of

Handler:  Keigh Rowan
Grand Forks Police Department
P.O. Box 5548, Grand Forks, ND 58206-5548
122 S. 5th St.,Grand Forks, ND 58201
701-787-8000 - FAX 701-780-8253
Contact: Sgt. Dwight Love

Police K-9 Bobbi has left a big hole in my heart today. My partner, my friend and ever loyal companion has just past away. K-9 Bobbi worked with the Grand Forks Police Department for just one year but made many friends and proved a K-9 unit as a staple for our department.His last days were with me and my family on a short vacation. I will always miss my first patrol dog, but know I will see him again someday.

Current handler of K9 TAZ. submitted by Renee' Konais

In Loving Memory of
02/04/1993 - 07/25/2007

New Castle County Police Department
Handler: S/Cpl Anthony Scelsi
3601 N. Dupont Highway
New Castle, DE 19720 - ph. 302-395-8171

S/Cpl Anthony Scelsi and his wife,also a police officer,made the always difficult decision to have Britta
put down, when she could no longer walk and go through life without assistance. A dignified end for
a much loved and valued partner. "Britta, you may be gone from this Earth, but you will never 
be gone from our hearts and minds." 

Britta's accomplishments :  worked 01/01/1996-06/01/2004
1.  1998 -cited for BRAVERY in apprehension of burglary suspect who attempted to disarm handler Cpl Scelsi while at Admiral Club Apartments, Newark DE.
2.  1999- cited for BRAVERY in apprehension of subject that was armed [twice], this subject was homicidal and enroute to his workplace to kill his employer,subject held officers at gunpoint. 
Britta apprehended subject while he was loading a .38 caliber and .380 automatic handgun. 
3.  1999- MERIT CITATION for locating weapon used in home invasion in WoodsEdge Apartments, Wilmington DE.
4.  Britta searched Governor Printz Blvd for a distance of a mile during heavy rain. The weapon
was located in high weeds. 
5.  Kiwanis Club recognized Britta twice for her actions while on duty.
submitted by Dawn Lanham

In Loving Memory of
July 21, 2007

Handler:  Officer Jerry Carpenter
Gallatin Police Department
130 West Franklin Street 
Gallatin, TN 37066 
Telephone: (615) 452-1313 -  Fax: (615) 452-1597

Canine Officer Dies In Gallatin
A canine officer for the Gallatin Police Department died Sunday night. Bronco, a Belgian Malinois, died at home. The dog, born in 2000, began his law enforcement training Nov. 12, 2001. Bronco served with the Sumner County Sheriff's Office until July 1, 2004 when he was transferred to the 18th Judicial Drug Task Force, according to a Gallatin police news release. Bronco started with the Gallatin Police Department Feb. 1, 2006. Bronco's handler was Field Training Officer Jerry Carpenter. The pair had more than 1,000 criminal narcotics convictions.  A memorial service for Bronco will be held Tuesday at the Gallatin Police Department.The service will begin
at 4 p.m.         
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of 
May 15, 2007 

Handler:  Pam Stafford 
Andover Police Department 
32 North Main Street 
Andover, MA  01810- (978) 475-0411 

Whether he was sniffing out armed suspects in the grass or chasing Frisbees thrown by neighborhood children, Blaze was good at what he did. The retired five-year Andover police dog, 11, was put to rest Tuesday following a cancer diagnosis. "He looked like a big, burly dog, but he was really just a big baby," owner Pam Stafford said. "He was a couch potato in retirement. And he was a good police dog. I'm sure people will remember him." The fiery-red German shepherd went into police training at age 2<1/2> when Stafford, a former Andover resident, donated him to the department in 1999. He might have had a late start, but Blaze was a quick learner. "People said you can't turn a house dog into a police dog, but he did incredible, amazing," she said. He partnered up with Officer Ed Higginbottom and quickly became well-known in area school systems, 
where he and Higginbottom put on demonstrations for children. Blaze also spent his five-year career searching 
for bank robbers, looking for Alzheimer's patients and sniffing out drugs in motor vehicles throughout the Merrimack Valley. "He was great with the kids," Stafford said. So much so, that in 2000, a third-grader at the South School raised $484 to buy the German shepherd a black bullet-proof vest.Blaze retired in 2003, and Higginbottom gave the dog back to Stafford, who had moved to New Hampshire. "The best thing was having him come home," she said. "He stepped right back into the role of being a house pet. He ran around the backyard, slept on the couch, played with kids." Stafford found out about the cancer on Tuesday after the dog hadn't been feeling good for a few months. She said it was important to her that he didn't suffer. "He was a tough guy that way. He didn't show it," she said.  submitted by Jim Cortina & L. Hewitt 

In Loving Memory of 
March 14, 2007

Handler: Officer Jim Bartley 
Bellevue Police Department 
2207 Washington St. 
Bellevue, NE  68005  -  402 293.3100 

Our Department started its K-9 Unit in 1995 with a Dutch Shepard (Holland Herder) named Nero.  Nero was a dual purpose dog and was assigned to Officer Jim Bartley.  Nero was a fantastic dog and was a critical factor to the success of our K-9 Unit to this day.  Nero died in 2001.  We did have a service.  Officer Bartley was then partnered with Blitz in January of 2002.  Blitz was also a dual purpose dog and was 4 years old at the time of acquisition.  Blitz was a Belgian Malinois and came from Europe.  Blitz was put to sleep in March 2006 because of medical problems.I have attached a photo of Blitz and Officer Bartley.  If you need any more, please let me know.Thank you for your efforts. submitted by Lt. Kurt M. Strachota-K-9 Unit Commander- ellevue Police Dept. 
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA - 
Bellevue Police Dog Put Down 3/21/06 - NE  The Bellevue Police Department lost a valuable member of its police force last week.  Blitz, a member of the department's K-9 Unit since the late 1990s, was put to sleep March 14 after becoming too hard to control. Blitz had attacked his partner, officer Jim Bartley, Police Chief John Stacey Jr. said.  A neurological disorder common with the Belgian Shepherd Malinois breed is possibly to blame for the attack.  Blitz and Bartley worked together on many assignments. In early November, Blitz successfully took down a burglar who was uncooperative and wielding a knife.  The department is planning to retire another of its aging dogs, Falco, within the next year and a half, Stacey said.  When that happens, Bellevue's canine contingent will be down to two. Some business sponsors have stepped in, and the department should be able to replace one of the two dogs in the near future, Stacey said. But funding for a fourth dog still is uncertain, he said.  Bellevue has had a canine unit for at least 10 years, he said.  A dog is on duty at all times, he said. They are used primarily for two things: helping to catch suspects and detecting drugs.  "It's almost a daily basis now that we require a canine in some form," Stacey said.  For example, he said, dogs were called twice March 14 - once for a traffic stop and the second for a burglary in progress.  Dogs that are healthy and performing well usually can serve the department for up to 10 years, Stacey said. Getting a replacement dog can cost up to $10,000, including training and equipment costs, he said.  If funding is not found for a fourth dog, Stacey said, the department will scale back its K-9 Unit. "We can't support it on our own," he said. 

In Loving Memory of
July 6, 2007

Inglewood Police Department
Captain Percy Ray Roberts, Jr.
Commanding Officer Patrol Bureau
(310) 412-5541 & K9 UNIT TEL  310-412-5153
1 Manchester Boulevard
Post Office Box 6500
Inglewood, California 90301

Inglewood police dog is euthanized after being stolen and struck by car
An Inglewood police dog stolen last week from his handler's yard in Covina was struck by a car and had to be euthanized, officers said Friday. Berry, a 3-year-old Belgian Malinois, was found Monday lying behind a business near Azusa Avenue and Covina Boulevard in Covina, Inglewood police Sgt. George Sanford said. Two days earlier, someone removed the dog from the Inglewood police officer's backyard, Sanford said. Police officers who partner with canines take them home at night. Officers did not say how the dog was stolen. No one knows what happened in the two days that followed, but it appeared Berry was the victim of a hit-and-run driver. County animal control officers found the dog Monday. "The canine was suffering from severe injuries that were consistent with being hit by a vehicle," Sanford said. The police dog was taken to a pet hospital, but veterinarians deemed his injuries too severe to be treated successfully, Sanford said. The K-9 dog had just joined the force and was recently deployed. The department has two other police dogs. Anyone with information about the dog's theft and death is asked to call Covina police at 626-858-4474 or Inglewood police at 310-412-5211.  The crime involves theft and hit-and-run driving. The Inglewood police dog's demise follows the death last month of an El Segundo police dog also killed by a hit-and-run driver. Basco, a 7 1/2-year-old German shepherd, escaped from his handler's yard in El Segundo on June 23. The officer's pet border collie, Bailey, also got out of the yard. A police officer found the dogs lying dead in the road at El Segundo Boulevard and Oregon Street. Police requested the public's help to find the driver, but no one has responded with word of what happened, El Segundo police Lt. Bob Turnbull said. The department is accepting donations for its canine trust fund. Checks made out to the El Segundo Police Department can be sent to 348 Main St., El Segundo, CA 90245.   
submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA
The Department's K-9 unit consists of three K-9 handlers. The Inglewood Police Department uses German Shepherds for its K-9 program. IPD's handlers regularly compete in regional and state-wide police K-9 competitions. 

In Loving Memory of
June 23, 2007
Handler - Chris Cameron
Inglewood Police Department
Captain Percy Ray Roberts, Jr. 
Commanding Officer Patrol Bureau
(310) 412-5541 
1 Manchester Boulevard
Post Office Box 6500
Inglewood, California 90301
K9 UNIT TEL  310-412-5153
submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
June 1, 2007

Handler: Detective Mark Thomas (?)
Beacon Police Department 
8 Ferry St.- Beacon, New York 12508 
Beloved police dog's service remembered Bruno was well known member of Beacon force
6/8/07 New York By Leigh Gomez Poughkeepsie Journal
Detective Mark Thomas and Bruno meet Beacon school district DARE program students in May 2002. A beloved police dog was laid to rest earlier this week after battling a debilitating disease that slowly took away his ability to move - Bruno Almond. "He was the best K-9 dog we had in our unit," said Richard Sassi, who was police chief during Bruno's tenure. "Put him in any situation - high stress" and the dog would react quickly or "with a six-month-old baby and he'd lick him to death."  The 13-year-old German shepherd had degenerative myelopathy, which caused progressive paralysis, but he never lost his spunk, said Detective Mark Thomas, his handler.  Bruno retired from the city Police Department in 2003. His final days were spent basking in the sun and relaxing in the cool grass. Throughout the 10 years Bruno served and protected the city streets, he touched the lives of many. The dog is one reason resident Etha Grogan said her son, Dustin James, wanted to become part of a K-9 unit. The 21-year-old, who met Bruno 13 years ago, is pursing a career in law enforcement. Residents recognized Bruno's name more quickly than they did city police officers, Grogan said. The canine made appearances at Marist College, Milton Elementary School and before local Boy Scouts troops. He participated in the city school district's Drug Abuse Resistance Education program.  Mayor Clara Lou Gould said children would line up down the city block just to pet Bruno on the Spirit of Beacon Day.  While loved by children, he wasn't so popular among criminals. Once, a Main Street apartment was broken into and Bruno detected criminals hiding in a crawl space in the closet, Thomas said. Bruno barked and "alerted me, which otherwise the police would've missed," he said. "The day we had to put him down, although I'm not still on the force, I still feel a loss," Sassi said.  "He was a good dog."  submitted by Jim Cortina
In Loving Memory of
June 5, 1995 – November 19, 2006

lost story on BAXTER...
In Loving Memory of
March 6, 2007

Handler: Officer Mark Petersen

700 West Grand Avenue
Escondido, CA 92025 - Ph 760 839-4722
 A police dog that suddenly went into a seizure while trying to apprehend a suicidal suspect in a double shooting in February was diagnosed with a brain tumor and had to be euthanized recently, a lieutenant said.The 9-year-old Belgian Malanois dog named Barry was put down March 6 after veterinarians told police even surgery would not improve his quality of life, police Lt. Mark Wrisley said.  "He did a good job for us," Wrisley said of the police dog.  The lieutenant said it was a difficult decision and was tough on his partner, Officer Mark Petersen because Barry was due to retire this year anyway. Barry was initially assigned to another officer but was transferred to Petersen when the other officer retired. The police dog's last assignment was a SWAT standoff that occurred Feb. 18 on Parktree Lane when a man fatally shot a roommate and wounded a second in the face, then asked officers to shoot him. Wrisley said Barry's medical condition had apparently been developing without their knowledge, so when he started having a seizure, no one knew what was wrong. The dog was scooped up and rushed to a veterinarian where he was eventually diagnosed. Petersen will eventually be assigned a new police dog.
In Loving Memory of
March 30, 2007

Handler: Cpl. Glenn Jackson

Jeffersonville Police Dept.
501 E. Court Ave.
Jeffersonville, IN 47130 PH:(812)283-6633

The Jeffersonville K-9 unit that was killed late last month during an arrest was apparently shot by a Jeffersonville police officer in self-defense. Bak, a 5-year-old Czech Shepherd, was shot by Officer Isaac Parker when Bak turned his aggression towards him during a March 30 foot pursuit of a juvenile suspect, according to a police report obtained Wednesday by The Evening News and The Tribune.Jeffersonville police were called to Gardenside Apartments about 12:45 a.m. after receiving reports that shots had been fired in the area, according to a press release issued by the department. Officers attempted to stop two vehicles that were seen leaving the area — one of which was pulled over without incident. Two suspects from the other vehicle fled on foot near the intersection of Highland Avenue and Plank Road, after which several officers were dispatched, including Bak and his handler, Cpl. Glenn Jackson. Bak was released near the 1600 block of East Tenth Street to search for a juvenile suspect, but Jackson had been unable to announce the dog’s release over his radio due excessive radio traffic. As a result, Parker — who was pursuing the suspect from another direction — was not aware of Bak’s presence in the area, the report says. Parker reportedly did not even know the dog he shot in the chest and killed to be Bak until Jackson arrived on scene and identified him. “Unaware that K-9 Bak had been released and not recognizing him in the darkness, Officer Parker believed him to be an aggressive stray dog,” JPD Detective Cpl. Todd Hollis writes in the press release. “Bak’s attention was drawn to Officer Parker, who was giving loud verbal commands and advancing on the suspect.” Hollis, Bak’s former handler, said during an interview Wednesday afternoon that Bak was not trained to recognize a police uniform and would only react to behaviors. “The dog most likely did not see the suspect that had gotten over a fence and was actually in the process of surrendering,” Hollis said. “What he saw was an officer with a weapon, shouting, and he focused on that as his target.”  Hollis said after an investigation, the department found no fault in Officer Parker’s actions.“What the officer did was protect himself,” Hollis said. “He acted appropriately.”  As a third-shirt officer, Parker was not available for comment Wednesday, but Hollis said he had been extremely upset over the loss of the dog. “Officer Parker was very close to our K-9 units and worked with them every day on the street,” he said. “He was very fond of Bak and had even helped to train him.”  While Hollis didn’t want to speculate on what may have happened had Parker known the dog advancing on him to be Bak, he said he hoped Parker would have reacted in exactly the same way.  “I don’t want to speculate on what he would have done (had he known the dog to be Bak), but I know he did the right thing, regardless,” he said. JPD Assistant Chief Mark Lovan called the incident a “tragic accident” to which darkness and “a lot of commotion” played a significant role. On Monday evening, JPD held a memorial service in Bak’s honor at Scott Funeral Home, where Jackson and Hollis spoke of the dog’s love for police work.  “(Bak) was just always ready to work,” Hollis said following the service. “It didn’t matter if it was cold or hot, raining or snowing; he was ready to do what you asked him to do. And when work was over, he was a great companion.”  Jackson described Bak as “eager to work” and “full of life.”  Bak joined JPD in February 2004 and was trained in narcotics detection, tracking and searching. During his three years with the department, Hollis said Bak was instrumental in the arrest of several suspects and in numerous drug seizures.  Hollis said JPD has two other active K-9 units and one in training.  All but one of the suspects were apprehended during the March 30 pursuit, but none of them have been directly linked to the alleged shooting. Hollis said no victims were found at Gardenside Apartments. all SUBMITTED BY JIM CORTINA
Follow up 
Published April 10, 2007 11:24 am - Sgt. Joe Hubbard fought back tears as he slowly placed both hands on the podium in front of him, took a deep breath and looked out at a chapel full of his fellow Jeffersonville Police officers.
Jeffersonville Police remembers lost K-9   By JENNIFER RIGG
Sgt. Joe Hubbard fought back tears as he slowly placed both hands on the podium in front of him, took a deep breath and looked out at a chapel full of his fellow Jeffersonville Police officers.“I have always believed that God has a special place for his animals and that one day we’ll see them again upstairs,” he said, his voice breaking. “I bet if we could look into Heaven right now, we would see Bak running in circles around the legs of God just waiting for his next orders.”  Bak — a 5-year-old Czech Shepherd and K-9 unit with the Jeffersonville Police Department — was shot and killed during an arrest made in the early morning hours of March 30. JPD Assistant Chief Mark Lovan following the memorial service declined to release further details surrounding the dog’s death or the incident — which reportedly resulted in a felony arrest — citing an ongoing investigation.  Bak’s handler, 41-year-old Cpl. Glenn Jackson, and several JPD officers gathered Monday evening at Scott Funeral Home along Veterans Parkway to pay tribute to his three years of service.  “I’m sure some people would look at this and ask, ‘You’re doing all this for a dog?’” said Bak’s former handler, JPD Detective Cpl. Todd Hollis after the service. “But if you’ve ever been a handler, you understand how much dedication it takes for these dogs to do what they do. Here’s this dog who rides around in your backseat that is ready and willing to give their life for you.  “(Bak) was just always ready to work,” he continued. “It didn’t matter if it was cold or hot, raining or snowing; he was ready to do what you asked him to do. And when work was over, he was a great companion. Giving him up was one of the hardest things I had ever had to do.”  Bak joined JPD in February 2004 and was trained in patrol and narcotic detection. During his three years with the department, Hollis said Bak was instrumental in the arrest of several suspects and in numerous drug seizures. Jackson, Bak’s current handler, chose not to speak at the memorial service, but said afterward that going to work without Bak had been extremely difficult.  “He was always so eager to work,” he said. “He was so full of life. He never stopped moving. The hard part is going and getting in that car, knowing he won’t be running around it wanting to get in. 

In Loving Memory of
 November 9, 2006

Handler: Officer Rich Gerber
Mentor Police Department
8500 Civic Center Blvd
Mentor, Ohio 44060 - (440)974-5760 

A 7-year canine member of the Mentor Police Department died Thursday after an "unfortunate accident," police said Friday. Bronco, one of two K9 units at the department, was killed at about 8:15 p.m. near his home in Mentor, Lt. Tom Powers said. "He got loose from home and, for whatever reason, ran out in front of a car on Garfield Road," Powers said. "He was an important member of our department. We're all saddened and feel bad for the handler and his family." Powers said Bronco had been part of "many major investigations and arrests in his career" and died only a year short of his retirement. Earlier this year, Bronco and his handler, Officer Rich Gerber, received an Outstanding Service Award from the North American Police Work Dog Association.The 80-pound German shepherd was born in the Czech Republic in 1999 and lived in Gerber's home until his death.
Plans for a memorial in honor of Bronco were being discussed Friday night, Powers said. 
Officer Gerber & K-9, Bronco
    * 2000 GSDCA/Bil Jac Foods: Hero Dog—Rookie of the Year
    * 2000 Officer of the Year: Mentor Police Department
    * 2001 GSDCA/Bil Jac Foods: Hero Dog—Narcotics Detection Dog of the Year
    * 2003 GSDCA/Bil Jac Foods: Hero Dog—Honorable Mention
    * 2006 North American Police Work Dog Association: Outstanding Service Award

In Loving Memory of
January 18, 2007 

Handler: Constable Keith Fleury
Brockville Police Dept.
P.O. Box 2050 - 2269 Parkedale Avenue
Brockville, ON   K6V 6N5
Phone: (613) 342-0127  -  Fax: (613) 342-0452

Brockville police are mourning the loss of a law-enforcement trailblazer in this city. Brock, a 14-year-old long-haired German shepherd who served as the force's first police dog for seven years until his retirement in 2004, died Thursday morning.  He had been living with a family in the Smiths Falls area since last year, said Constable Keith Fleury, who partnered with Brock when the force's canine unit began in 1997. Fleury said the dog suffered a stroke on Wednesday. "I was really happy that the last year of his life he got to spend it with a whole family," said Fleury. "It was nice that he was loved that much for the last year. For me, that gave me a lot of relief that he was being pampered, the way I would have liked to," he added. Brock retired from frontline police duties in 2002, but continued with the force on drug-sniffing detail for another two years. Although he lived with Fleury's family, Fleury explained Brock associated him with work, so he could never truly relax and enjoy his time off the job as just a pet. "You'd hear him whine and cry when I went to go to work because he wanted to go," said Fleury. It was the reason that he decided to give the dog to an adoptive family for a "deserved" retirement rest. He called Brock "one hell of a dog," who in his years with the force proved the value of the canine unit. "If it hadn't been effective, I don't think we'd have had the program after Brock retired," stated Fleury, a 16-year veteran of the force.  Chief Barry King recalled two of Brock's biggest collars: a $14-million drug bust on Highway 401 and tracking a suspect wanted in connection with 18 break-ins.  In all, he was credited with assisting in 100 arrests. "Him being our first, had it not gone well we might not have extended and carried on," said the chief, who greeted Brock's death with "extreme sadness."  "He's not a tool. He was a living, breathing being here," said King, who added Brock was beloved by the hundreds of children he met.  Brock's legacy with the force is its two existing canine teams - Constable Shawn Borgford and his dog Trax and Constable Mike Grant and Sep."It's definitely a loss. It's one that every handler would feel," said Borgford. "It's an unconditional relationship that they have with their handlers as well as the city they work for." He said the poem Guardians of the Night by an unknown poet best sums up the bond between a police service dog and their handler. Quoting the poem, Borgford said in part. 
 "And when our time together is done/And you move on in the world/Remember me with 
kind thoughts and tales/For a time we were unbeatable/Nothing passed among us undetected."
Brock's remains have been cremated and King said the force will pick up the tab for a private service for the dog, which is part of the contract with their handlers. And while Fleury consciously kept a distance from Brock after sending him to his adoptive home, he's delivering something special to the family: Brock's badge, No. 911. "I'm making sure his badge goes with him," said Fleury.     submitted by Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
November 26, 2006

Handler: Officer Brandon Rothwell
 Nisswa Police Department
 P.O. Box 128, Nisswa MN 56468
 5442 City Hall Street, Nisswa MN 56468  - 218-829-4749

Officer Rothwell joined the Nisswa Police Department in 2002. He is a graduate of Crosby-Ironton High School. Before joining the police department, Rothwell was a jailer for the Crow Wing County Sheriff's Department. Rothwell enjoys hunting, fishing, and boxing. K9 Bear joined the Nisswa Police Department in 2004. He is certified in narcotics detection and is also used for tracking. K9 Bear, narcotics K9, died of cancer.      submitted by R. Konias & Jim Cortina

In Loving Memory of
Spartanburg County Sheriff's Office
8045 Howard Street
Spartanburg, South Carolina 29303 - (864)503-4500

Kris Mau  News Channel 7  Monday, March 20, 2006
Upstate officers are mourning the loss of one of their own. Bronco is a K-9 who passed away last week. He helped find drugs. His partner, Scott Broome, says the dog had a lot to offer. "There's just a special relationship that can't be described between a handler and their dog and the things that they're able to accomplish together," says Broome. And the duo did accomplish a lot in their eight years together. "In 1999 and 2000, we were the state of South Carolina top Aggressive Criminal Enforcement team," says Broome. "We had the most felony arrests of any municipality in the state with a population of 10,000 or more."Broome says Bronco had an effect in fighting crime. "Most people would rather fight a police officer than fight a dog."  He remembers the dog's presence had an effect even during a routine traffic stop. "(the suspects) are in the back of the patrol car, and one guy looks at the other one and says, "Do you have any drugs on you?" He said, "No, I knew we 
were coming through Greer." Bruno retired with Broome and his family a few years ago. A few weeks ago, Broome started taking pictures of the dog. And lots of them. It's because he became sick. He could tell Bruno was having serious trouble walking. "A week later we found out it was a tumor that was wrapped around his neck," says Broome. "His spinal collumn was pushing his  esophagus closed."  Just like Bruno took his community in his grasp, protecting it by finding drugs,Broome held him tightly while he was put to sleep.  He says he'll never forget his partner. "A week ago today, I was able to take him on patrol with me one last time," says Broome. "And I put him in the back of my patrol car and seeing his head in the back like we used to be, riding around and him looking around, it was real comforting to me to be able to take in that last day."  A perfect dog for her. Randall went through 100 dogs before the kennel worker brought out Branco. “There was an instant connection,” Randall said. She knew that Branco was the one she would be working,training and living with 24-7. It didn’t take long for Randall to see how much of an asset Branco would be to her, both professionally and personally.  When Randall and Branco were in training  together at the police academy, trainers were amazed at Branco’s ability to learn quickly and his willingness to work hard. One trainer called him the “’Ferrari’ of the K-9 dogs.” “I was so totally amazed and so impressed about what (the dogs) did,” Randall said. Randall and Branco performed thousands of community services by fighting crime and drugs, as well as visiting schools, businesses,
churches and other organizations. “We’ve met a lot of good friends over the last six years,” Randall said. On one occasion, Branco and Judy were asked to visit the mentally challenged children at Enterprise High School. While Randall was a little nervous about how Branco would do with the teens, he showed that he was kind as well as hard-working. “Branco sensed immediately hat they were somebody special,” Randall said. Branco lay on the floor and allowed the teens to pet and pull at him for an hour, without a single growl or snap.  “I could really trust him around children,” Randall said. But Branco also knew when to be a police dog. Branco was an aggressive
indicator when he searched for drugs. He would bite, scratch or bite where he thought the drugs were located. Branco had such a great work ethic, he would search freestyle better than an officer directed search, Randall said.  He also served as a sentry and would let Randall know if anyone  was within several feet of the truck when they were out on patrol. Branco was known for protecting his partner by warning a drunk man that entered the Randall’s home and even an officer trying to play a trick on Randall. He made sure Randall was always safe. He not only protected Randall, but he was also a wonderful drug sniffing dog. There were numerous occasions when Branco found drugs hidden in vehicles, apartments, the jail and even the court. During their career together,
Randall and Branco were asked to work with the drug court as trackers. They would stop into the homes of drug court clients to ensure they were staying clean. “It was one of the greatest experiences I could’ve ever been able to have,” Randall said.  Together, Randall and Branco  have worked with every law enforcement agency in Washington County and even some in Iron, Utah and Mohave, Ariz., counties. “Every day we would leave the house and I’d say ‘Let’s go get the bad guys’ and he would get excited and circle around,” Randall said. “We had the  highest stats overall in the department last month. It’s because we just love the job.” “He was  part of my family,” Randall said. As Tersigni put it, Branco will be missed.  The staff at the Hurricane Valley Journal would like to extend their condolences to Deputy Randall and her family. We would like to thank Branco and Randall for all their hard work and service to  the citizens of this community.
submitted by Jim Cortina, DIR. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
January 5, 2006
Ramadi, IRAQ
Injured military dogs back on duty, but without handler Sgt. Adam L. Cann was killed in attack on Ramadi police station Stars and Stripes - Mideast edition, Thursday, January 19, 2006
Courtesy of Joseph Manning

Dog handler Marine Sgt. Adam L. Cann stands with his dog Bruno in Iraq. Cann was killed in a suicide attack this month in Ramadi.   BAGHDAD — The three military working dogs injured in this month’s deadly suicide attack on a Ramadi police recruiting event have been treated and returned to duty, medical officials told Stars and Stripes this week.The bombings, which came at the end of a four-day recruiting drive that saw more than 1,000 Iraqi men sign up as police candidates, killed at least 27 volunteers, U.S. Army Lt. Col. Michael E. McLaughlin and Sgt. Adam L. Cann, a Marine Corps dog handler.  Two other dog handlers were injured.  Cann’s dog, Bruno, and two other working dogs were injured in the blast. Initially, military officials reported that Bruno would be flown to the States for treatment. But in an e-mail this week to Stripes, Dr. (Lt. Col.) R. Randall Thompson, of the 72nd Medical Detachment (Veterinary Service-Forward) said all three dogs were treated in Baghdad by military veterinarians at the 10th Combat Support Hospital in Baghdad. “Sergeant Cann’s canine partner, Bruno, was … transported to the Military Working Dog referral center located in the International Zone,” Thompson wrote. “Bruno was treated for shrapnel wounds and returned to his place of duty five days later. All three injured dogs were treated by the 72nd following [medical evacuation]. All will recover fully. Prior to the arrival of the 72nd and its enhanced treatment capability, they would have been flown [to the States] for treatment.” Cann, 23, and his German shepherd were part of the 2nd Military Police Battalion, 2nd Force Services Support Group. Marine dog handlers in Iraq are a tightknit group and have taken Cann’s loss hard. Friends said he was happiest when he and Bruno were at work outside the wire.  Cann had worked with Bruno for five or six years, including a tour in Afghanistan, they said. “He loved dog training,” Cpl. Brian Trielle said in the days after the attack. “He took it very seriously. I’ve never met a better Marine doing what he did.”   
Bruno, who apparently drowned in the Vaal River, led to a second tragedy when police dog Bruno also lost his life.  Inspector Sammy de Ridder, who nearly drowned when the pair landed in the river during the search, was in hospital for observation on Monday night.  De Ridder and Bruno were among those searching for Louis Louw, 29, who apparently drowned about 14:00 on Sunday after swimming and fishing in the river with friends. Sunday's search was unsuccessful and the search resumed on Monday morning. De Ridder and Bruno were in a boat that capsized in a strong current at a weir and they ended up in a whirlpool. Two police divers found De Ridder, but Bruno had drowned. De Ridder and Bruno had worked together for the past six years and were inseparable. He used to refer to the dog as a family member and friend. Bruno was one of only four dogs in the Free State trained to sniff out bodies. The other three are in Sasolburg, Bethlehem and Bloemfontein

submitted by Jim Cortina, Dir. CPWDA

In Loving Memory of
July 18, 2006
 Handler - Staff Sergeant Erik Castro 
U.S. Air Force -  Keesler Air Force Base, Biloxi, Mississippi
81st Training Wing
Public Affairs Office
517 L Street, Room 113 
Keesler AFB, MS 39534-2603
Phone: (228) 377-2783
 July 24, 2006 
 Release No. 06-07-05

submitted by:  Drinnon Roger MSgt 81 TRW/PA <>
81st Training Wing Public Affairs
Ph: (228) 377-2783; DSN 597-2783 

KEESLER AIR FORCE BASE, Miss. — The 81st Security Forces Squadron bids farewell to a special team in memorial service scheduled for 10-10:30 a.m. Tuesday (July 25) at Larcher Chapel.
 All media are invited to attend. However, this event is not open to the public. 
Bruno, one of Keesler’s military working dogs for almost seven years, had to be euthanized July 18 due to advanced lumbrascal disease, according to Staff Sgt. Erik Castro, noncommissioned officer of the 81st SFS military working dog section.  Bruno, a male Belgian malinois, was nearly 11 years old.  He was accepted into the military working dog program in 1998 and was certified as a narcotics detector dog and patrol dog the following year at the Department of Defense Working Dog School at Lackland Air Force Base, Texas.
“Bruno used his patrol capabilities to assist area police departments during joint agency training, conducted over 25 dog demonstrations for the local community and distinguished 
visitors, participated in the annual Halloween goblin patrol and assisted in the apprehension of a barricaded fugitive in base housing,” Sergeant Castro said.  “He also provided a strong deterrent during numerous police calls which quickly defused once he arrived.” 
During a month-long joint effort with customs agents at the Mexican border, Bruno alerted law enforcement personnel on several occasions, resulting in the confiscation of 118 pounds of cocaine and 243 pounds of marijuana being smuggled into the country. At Keesler, Bruno found marijuana on 20 occasions and cocaine in three instances.  He also participated in several morale searches, courtesy vehicle sweeps, confinement sweeps and more than 200 hours of random searches throughout the base. 
“Bruno was a military working dog, a security forces member and a companion to everyone who had the privilege of controlling his leash,” Sergeant Castro explained.  “The Department of Veterans Affairs didn’t hesitate to give us a flag for him. “It will be difficult to enter the facility without seeing Bruno light up with life every time you stood in front of his kennel, knowing his only desire was to keep you safe, obey your commands, and ready to give his life to protect yours,” he added.
 Sergeant Castro said Bruno’s ashes will be spread over the foundation for the new kennel facility.
       If you are interested in covering this event, please call 377-2783 by 9 a.m. Tuesday. 
Thanks to all the handlers who helped with information on Bruno. Especially Susan Griggs,& Roger Drinnon
81TRW/PA  228-377-3837  DSN 597-3837 - From: Taranto Jerry Civ 81 TRW/PA 
Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 10:23 AM - To: Griggs Susan Contractor 81 TRW/PA
Cc: Clark Michael T SSgt 81 CS/SCBB - Subject: FW: K9 Bruno  Jerry S Taranto   81st Training Wing Public Affairs 228-377-7329   Cell: 228-669-4904  - Mission first, People Always, America Forever!  From: Clark Michael T SSgt 81 CS/SCBB  Sent: Monday, July 31, 2006 9:33 AM - To: 81 TRW/PA Subject: FW: K9 Bruno Importance: High v/r  Michael T. Clark, SSgt, USAF  Web Development Technician  81 CS/SCBB - comm: (228)377-7121  - DSN: 597-7121 
and another article....
Police Dog Remembered At Keesler Memorial Service - July 25, 2006 
A full military memorial service held at Keesler Air Force Base Tuesday honored a very special dog. Eleven-year old Bruno, a Belgian Malinois, served seven years with the Keesler Security Police. The dog helped with numerous drug busts and sting operations, but had to be put to sleep last week after suffering a severe spinal problem. Tuesday's service was held at Larcher Chapel, complete with a portrait of Bruno, his toys, and a TAPS dedication. Bruno's last handler says it's hard to say good bye to a great partner and friend. "When Bruno got here, the working relationship we had, I was on the receiving end of his patrol work. I was the first decoy he got to bite and it developed from there. He was a real good dog, just great to be around, just his personality. It's going to be hard," Staff Sergeant Erik Castro said. Bruno's ashes will be spread in a private dedication ceremony at Keesler's new kennel facility which will open in October. Keesler currently has 
seven military working dogs on duty.
also submitted by Jim Cortina, CPWDA Dir

Web mistress Louise Krause

K9 memorial page
birth of site June 1999
Copyright 1999-2008 FAST Co