Memorials to Fallen K-9s 
 2001 page 15

F.A.S.T. Co. donates cards to all partners 
of all working dogs/horses as long as their is an address. 

PLEASE feel free to send condolences to officers with P.D. addresses below.


In Loving Memory of
(Golden Retriever)
October 10, 2001

Missed by Mary Anderson
Senior Police Officer Richard DeJoode
Narcotics Unit of
Des Moines Police Dept. IA
Des Moines Police Department
#25 East First Street 
Des Moines, Iowa 50309 
Ph: (515) 283-4824 

Thank you DESMOINES-News, PhotoEdfor Oby's photo. Also to Mary Anderson for
the Des Moines PD Blue Line magazine & Thank you card.Also thanks to Anne Miller of the P.D. chief's office. cards priority mailed 10/12/01.   Received a lovelyIt means so much to both, Bob & I. 
This is what life is all about!

Popular drug dog Oby dies
By TOM ALEX   Register Staff Writer 10/11/2001

 Oby, the Des Moines Police Department's drug sniffing golden retriever who retired in 1996 after six years on the force, died Wednesday. A favorite with schoolchildren who traded his "Cop Collectible" card, Oby was instrumental in the seizure of more than 128 pounds of illegal narcotics with a value of more than $860,000. He also was given credit for the seizure of nearly $725,000 from traffickers. Officers draped medals of appreciation over his shoulders when he retired at the age of 8. Cake was served at his retirement party.  Oby's tenure at the department occurred during the height of the city's gang problems and gang generated drug trade. Oby had his own photograph identification card that he sometimes wore on a chain around his neck. Using a golden retriever whose most notable characteristic was his wagging tail represented a shift for Des Moines police when Oby joined the department in 1990. The department had used larger dogs capable of defending their handlers. After one of those dogs attacked a police officer, who was hospitalized with serious injuries, the department looked for a more gentle breed. Oby got the nod.  Since his retirement, Oby had been staying at the home of Mary Anderson, a civilian who works in the Police Department records section. Anderson said Oby couldn't get to his feet Tuesday. "He was put to sleep this morning," Anderson said Wednesday. 

Born 10 June 1988 in Elkhart, IN, OBY became a certified Police K-9
in July 1990. He was affectionate, loving and gentle. He loved attention andtruly enjoyed his work as a drug-sniffing K-9. OBY was responsible forputting several criminals in jail and also for keeping millions of dollars of illegal narcotics from our streets. OBY was the center of attention withschool children and assisted in educating them about drug awareness.He retired from the Des Moines PD in Sept. 96. OBY enjoyed hisretirement with Mary Anderson (Police Records Clerk) and his
playmate Maggie. His playmate Magie passed  away 4 Dec. 1999 
and OBY passed away 10 Oct. 2001. Both Oby and Maggie are buried 
in Warren County, IA at a beautiful pet cemetery. They are buried along the cemetery's "Wall of Honor" for service dogs. Amonument was erected at the site in honor of both Maggie & OBY.
In Loving Memory of
October 15, 2001

Partner:Trooper Mike Fiore
Massachusetts State Police 
Special Operations K-9
MSP Stoneham Barracks
166 Pont St. Stoneham, MA 02180
781 279 1283 

cards will be mailed 10/19/01 priority - Heart rendering reply by Mike


I want to thank you so much for the Memorial Cards of Ciros. The Guardians of the Night Poem says it all. Many of us have lost pets that are very dear to us and hold the fond memories of them. The loss of a K-9 partner hits you two fold. During the off hours spent at home with family and friends they are pets, social butterflys seeking attention and love of family. During the work hours they are the point man using their hunting skills to locate and apprehend criminal suspects that are dangerous threats to searching officers. Ciros has been my Hero many times searching woodlands and vacant buildings for those that have committed criminal acts against others. He truly was a champion in his K-9 work and his ability to socialize with everyone. He will be sorely missed and I will hold onto the great memories of him as a partner, a friend and great listener. Many folks have seen the memorial cards and thought they were a nice tribute to him. Everyone that has read the poem has shed a tear or two. I have also viewed the website and you are doing an awesome job of letting others know the true heroes our four legged partners are. I have posted your web address at work for others to view.  Keep up the great work and thank you very for giving Ciros a space on your site.
 Thanks Much,
 Mike Fiore
Mass State Police K-9 Section 
I just had to share the above email with you all It made my day!!  Thanks Mike~!
K-9 Ciros (Rottweiler) leans on his partner,  Trooper Mike Fiore, 
 Massachusetts State Police Special Operations K-9 Unit From Sgt. Robert McCarthy, 

Eastern MA Supervisor of MA State Police Special Operations K-9 Unit:
I have some sad news concerning Ciros. Last week, Mike and Ciros were involved in a pursuit of bad guys that ended in New Hampshire. The chase ended in a car accident involving Mike and Ciros. Ciros sustained back injuries that were deemed inoperable, leaving Mike with the heartbreaking decision of having to put his partner to sleep. MIke put Ciros down on Monday. He is now searching for a replacemnet,
but no dog will ever fill Ciros' collar. 

An example of K9 Ciros' work
Tpr. Mike Fiore and K9 Ciros did a bang-up job on a day shift recently in Malden. A robbery suspect was doing a fine job of eluding the police in the area of Rt. 99. The suspect would be seen running and then seek cover, until flushed, and the process would start all over. When Ciros got involved in this ordeal, the suspect decided he would be safer hiding in a house. The police surrounded the house and Ciros was put on a building search. After a few minutes, the suspect was located hiding in a corner, with a Rottweiler on his chest. One in custody for Malden PD for a host of charges.  Tpr. Fiore and Ciros were then summonsed back to the scene by the Malden detectives. Ever the good cop, Tpr. Fiore knew he had to connect several pieces of this puzzle. The detectives had a victim, and a suspect, but they still needed assistance looking for the implements of the crime. Mike and Ciros backtracked their route during the earlier pursuit. A knife, duct tape, hat, mask and gloves were all located and submitted as evidence. 


K-9 Ciros (Rottweiler) leans on his partner, Trooper Mike Fiore, of the Massachusetts State Police Special Operations K-9 Unit.   Tpr. Fiore is interviewed by the producers of “Pet Project,” A program which features volunteer efforts for the humane care of animals.  The filming was for a segment about Massachusetts Vest-a-Dog and the founder, 13-year-old Lisa Hinds of East Walpole, to be aired on Animal Planet in Spring 2002.
K-9 Ciros will be fondly remembered as a loving 'leaner' -
when you patted him, he leaned his whole being onto you - 
what an affectionate being!

Doing the job before and after WTC

9/18/01 Trooper Fiore and K-9 Ciros
THis photo was printed in from 9/18, of Tpr Fiore and K-9 Ciros at Terminal B at Logan Airport in Boston, CREDIT:  AP Photo/Gretchen Ertl
The caption that goes with the picture above - and is due to be in our 2002 calendar (looks like we will dedicate the calendar to Ciros)K-9 Ciros (Rottweiler) leans on his partner, Trooper Mike Fiore, of the Massachusetts State Police Special Operations K-9 Unit.   Tpr. Fiore is interviewed by the producers of “Pet Project,” a program which features volunteer efforts for the humane care of animals.  The filming was for a segment about Massachusetts Vest-a-Dog and the founder, 13-year-old Lisa Hinds of East Walpole, to be aired on Animal Planet in Spring 2002. Before the filming,  K-9 Ciros enjoyed lots of pats, as Tpr. Fiore talked with many folks about K-9 work at The Stray Pet Fund Day in Mansfield.

Thank you to Kathy Hinds for letting me know about Ciros.

October, 2001

Loved and missed by
Marianne Crowell, West Jordan, UTAH

Tasha, 17 months old, was being trained for search and rescue when she ate some poisoned bait and died last month. 
S O S  If there is anyone out there who knows Marianne's address, please notify her that I would like to print cards to honor TASHA.
Have her email me. I fear to send cards in today's postal system without letting her know prior to mailing.
 Poisoned Bait Kills Search-and-Rescue Dog, Service Dog 
An illegal attempt to kill predators resulted in the poisoning deaths of a search-and-rescue dog and a service dog in the hills of Summit County. 
    Wildlife officials say the heavy doses in the poisoned bait also could have killed an unknown number of wild animals, including birds of prey. 
    Toxicology tests confirmed that two dogs -- one a German shepherd rescue dog and the other a Labrador trained to assist a handicapped woman -- fell victim to strychnine-laced deer entrails most likely meant for coyotes.     The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources is investigating several leads.     The first confirmed poisoning occurred Sept. 9 in Forest Meadow Ranch, a spread of private homes and mountain lots about 10 miles north of Park City.     On that afternoon, the German shepherd, Tasha, was training to become one of the elite Rocky Mountain Rescue Dogs, which recently took part in the recovery work
at New York's World Trade Center
    Coming down the mountain after finding a "lost hiker" in a training exercise, Tasha came across a pile of entrails and took a bite. Minutes later, the 17-month-old dog lost control of her hind legs. Then her entire body seized up and she fell.     Tasha's owner, West Jordan resident Marianne Crowell, screamed for help and tried to soothe the frightened animal. On the way to the animal hospital, Tasha died in Crowell's arms.     A week later, a Labrador companion dog named Lucy and her owner -- a Salt Lake City woman who relies on dogs to alert her to her seizures and provide her with medical syringes -- were hiking in the same area when her dog ate some of the entrails, stumbled to the ground and later died.     DWR investigator officer Bruce Johnson said both dogs died within 20 minutes of ingesting the deer entrails, which were heavily laced with strychnine.     "It was a hot enough dose that it will kill secondary and tertiary animals [in the food chain] without question," which would put predators and carrion feeders in danger, he said.     David Lyman, who was training Lucy, said he believes the poison is responsible for the deaths of other wildlife. "We used to sit up there and watch hawks and vultures all day long. After this, there wasn't a vulture in the sky. We're sure it was because of the poison," Lyman said.     Utah dog trainers are shocked by the incident.  "It's a sad story, let me tell you," said David Perks, a Rocky Mountain dog handler who recently returned from the World Trade Center site. Tasha's death "has been a hard loss for Marianne and our group. When you lose one of these dogs, it's like losing a person."     Anyone with information about the poisonings or other illegal predator-control activities in the area are asked to call Johnson at 801-476-2740. 
In Loving Memory of
November 6, 2001

Special Agent Bobby E. Earls

15 Richmond Dr.  Norton, MA  02776

(Bobby & Kori).....

  Kori's all grown up - Sept. 17, 2002

"Trooper II" ret. August, 1999.  Bobby Earls
Taken from Rail Cop - Spring 1999 Newsletter

Special Agent Bobby Earls & K-9 Trooper II, joined the search for 9 year old Cory Anderson in a severe snowstorm. Conrail Railroad Police Special Agent Bobby Earls, in full dress uniform stood at attention with nearly 100 fellow officers and firefighters as the casket of 9 year old Cory Anderson was carried into Holy Cross Church in Easton MA in early March. It was cold and blustery, but the weather was nearly spring like compared to that  Friday just 5 days earlier when Earls and his dog, Trooper were called in to search for Corey in a fierce snowstorm. The boy had left his home on a wooded dead end near Winnecunnet Pond in Norton on a Thursday afternoon to look for the family's golden retriever during a heavy snowstorm. The dog showed up at a neighbor's about an hour later, but Corey, wearing a Boston Bruins jacket and his bother's boots, never returned. The 4th grader's disappearance triggered a massive search involving nearly 500 local and state police, firefighters, volunteers, airboats, & helicopters. The Norton Police contacted Earls, who had worked Search & rescue missions with various area police and sheriff's departments in the past. "The terrain was against us from the start, " Earls said.  "There were streams, a lakes and some cranberry bogs. They ended up draining the bogs. But he wasn't there." Earls and Trooper II, both certified by FEMA in search & rescue work, teamed up with officers from the Department of Environmental Police and a state police helicopter to search a heavily wooded area. Their efforts continued unabated for 32 hours through a later winter storm that would dump nearly a foot of snow on the eastern part of the state. "By Saturday, it didn't look good," the 7 year Conrail veteran remembered. "We started to think the worst. There was also some thought that he might have been abducted. I-495 runs right by the area." That Sunday broke clear and cold, but with the good weather came the bad news. A state trooper aboard a boat spotted the yellow sleeves of Corey's Bruins jacket. Searchers on shore found him curled in the fetal position along a riverbank just 300 yards from his home. He had died of hypothermia. "The area had been searched before," says Earls. "We probably missed him because of the snow. Once it stopped and the sun came out, it was easier to spot Corey's jacket." The discover took its toll on the searchers. "Harden troopers and other law enforcement personnel had  frozen tears on their cheeks as they loaded Corey into the body bag," earls recalled, himself choking up at the memory. "Even the dogs cried." The railroad special agent and his fellow officers and firefighters would not be able to attend the actual services due to the large number of mourners, so they bid farewell to Cory in their own way - 100 white gloved hands snapped a salute to the 9 year old as the casket carrying his body passed by. "I was honored to represent the Conrail Police Dept. in the search for Corey and at his wake and funeral." Earls said, "I'd do it over again 100 times." K-9 Trooper II retired later that year in August.

UPDATE - 2008
Swearing in on March 6,2008  of Level One Auxiliary Trooper Bobby E. Earls by newly promoted Capt Mike Burroughs as Auxiliary Major Byrne looks on. Trooper Earls has a total of 27 yrs combined Law Enforcement and as a recognized K-9 Handler & Special Agent, and says even though retired it never gets out of your blood police work, and the dedicated Troopers Of The Florida Highway Patrol & Auxiliary are the best there are, and its my pleasure to assist them and the citizens of Florida. He & K-9 Kori reside in Ocala and are assigned to Troop B Ocala Station.
In Loving Memory of
 DOB: January 1999
DOD: October 15, 2001

Handler:Sgt. Jeff White
B.I.A. Law Enforcement Services, 
P.O. Box 309
New Town, ND 58763-0309

"He was my partner, my best friend."Robbie dies in fire
Fort Berthold Drug Dog to be honored New Town, Local law enforcement and Bureau of Indian Affairs . Police dog handlers from other reservations will gather in New Town today to pay tribute to Robbie, A Fort Berthold Drug & patrol dog who died earlier this week. The funeral service for the fallen K-9 officer Robbie, will begin at 10 AM in the New Town Civic Center, Elbo Woods Works of New Town is making a casket for Robbie. Robbie died in a fire at his handler Jeff White's home near Parshall Tuesday. The incident is under investigation. White is an officer for the Fort Berthold Bureau of Indian Affairs Law Enforcement Department and has been Robbie's handler since the Fort Berhold agency added a K-9 unit about a year and a half ago. Robbie, 3 yr. old Belgium Malinois was a multi-purpose dog, but mainly worked drugs and patrol. He lived and worked with White. White & Robbie worked locally, but also went on a number of special assignments for the BIA. Through his career, Robbie was responsible for numerous drug arrests from Indiana to Wyoming. He was also used in 3 Special Response Team Deployments, one in Nevada and 2 in Wyoming. White and Robbie were also sent to a search and rescue operation in South Dakota. He was a very friendly dog and was in demand by several law enforcement agencies in his home area. His services were also requested by all the local schools where he performed locker and area searches. The Fort Berthold BIA Law Enforcement established the K-9 unit because people in the local communities had concerns about drug problems, former BIA Police Chief Elmer Four Dance said in an interview last October. Robbie was the main reason we made a lot of drug arrests. He found a lot of drugs we would not have found. Robbie who was born in the Netherlands, follows commands in Dutch. White learned the commands at a 5 week training school for dogs and handlers in Indiana. Robbie was the only police dog service the Fort Berthold Reservation. He was buried today at the Gerald White's residence near White Shield. 

 Return to page 14

Continue to page 16 of memorial 2001

 Return to K-9 Data

Return to K9 DATA Index

Web mistress Louise Krause
birth of site June 1999
Copyright 1999-2008 FAST Co